Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to buy a good lense

How to buy a good lense

Sbosic

On Feb 4, 12:21 am, ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 3 Feb 2007 05:23:05 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Is this lense good and worthed to buy??

> > GENUINE CANON EOS 75 - 300 mm F4 - 5.6 Mk III ZOOM LENS
> > onwww.ebay.co.uk
> > GBP 75.00
> > Item number: 130073064653

> You might get informed answers if you're interested in buying one
> that is new. But about Item number 130073064653, nobody but the
> seller really knows. It may be for sale because it was dropped and
> no longer focuses accurately, or it may have been driven locally by
> a cautious little old lady that doesn't get out much. For all we
> know, *you* may be the eBay seller of that lens(e), which is not an
> unwarranted assumption given your use of google groups and hotmail.

Thanks everybody for the information given. Sorry for the spelling
mistake.
I am not the seller of the LENS, infact I am the higher bidder, and
the only one.
I just wanted to know if it is value for me.
GBP75 , i think, it is not bad, considered that it is Canon
original...and not imitation.

Any other help will be useful.
I hope i did the right step to bid on it.
Thanks guys.

King Sardon

On 3 Feb 2007 15:48:08 -0800, "Sbosic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Feb 4, 12:21 am, ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 3 Feb 2007 05:23:05 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> > Is this lense good and worthed to buy??

>> > GENUINE CANON EOS 75 - 300 mm F4 - 5.6 Mk III ZOOM LENS
>> > onwww.ebay.co.uk
>> > GBP 75.00
>> > Item number: 130073064653

>> You might get informed answers if you're interested in buying one
>> that is new. But about Item number 130073064653, nobody but the
>> seller really knows. It may be for sale because it was dropped and
>> no longer focuses accurately, or it may have been driven locally by
>> a cautious little old lady that doesn't get out much. For all we
>> know, *you* may be the eBay seller of that lens(e), which is not an
>> unwarranted assumption given your use of google groups and hotmail.

>Thanks everybody for the information given. Sorry for the spelling
>mistake.
>I am not the seller of the LENS, infact I am the higher bidder, and
>the only one.
>I just wanted to know if it is value for me.
>GBP75 , i think, it is not bad, considered that it is Canon
>original...and not imitation.
>
>Any other help will be useful.
>I hope i did the right step to bid on it.
>Thanks guys.

Good luck. If you "win" the lens, I'm sure you will have a lot of fun
with it.

KS

Bandicoot

"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hoover wrote:
> > WTF is a "lense"?
> >

> It's a misspelling of lens. Some do it on purpose to be unique.

There's absolutely nothing unique about stupidity.

Peter

Bandicoot

"Sbosic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
[SNIP]

> Thanks everybody for the information given. Sorry for the
> spelling mistake. I am not the seller of the LENS, infact I am
> the higher bidder, and the only one.
> I just wanted to know if it is value for me.
> GBP75 , i think, it is not bad, considered that it is Canon
> original...and not imitation.

Sounds good at that price.

Peter

John McWilliams

Bandicoot wrote:
> "John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Hoover wrote:
>>> WTF is a "lense"?
>>>

>> It's a misspelling of lens. Some do it on purpose to be unique.
>>

> There's absolutely nothing unique about stupidity.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
- Albert Einstein

The above is a tag line I sometimes append at random, sometimes not so
random.

--
john mcwilliams

ASAAR

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 18:38:10 -0800, John McWilliams wrote:

>> There's absolutely nothing unique about stupidity.

> "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
> - Albert Einstein

"It's such a fine line between stupid, an'... " -- David St. Hubbins
" ... and clever." -- Derek Smalls

John McWilliams

ASAAR wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 18:38:10 -0800, John McWilliams wrote:
>
>>> There's absolutely nothing unique about stupidity.

>> "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
>> - Albert Einstein

> "It's such a fine line between stupid, an'... " -- David St. Hubbins
> " ... and clever." -- Derek Smalls

Interesting to combine two snippets like so. Could you elaborate?

And I don't happen to agree with the sentiment, fwiw (nada).

--
john mcwilliams

ASAAR

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 20:23:18 -0800, John McWilliams wrote:

>> "It's such a fine line between stupid, an'... " -- David St. Hubbins
>> " ... and clever." -- Derek Smalls

> Interesting to combine two snippets like so. Could you elaborate?

It's dialog from Reiner's This Is Spinal Tap, spoken by two of the
band's members. You know (maybe not) the film where Nigel Tufnel, a
third member of the band played by Christopher Guest famously says
of his amp. that has a volume control that goes to 11 instead of 10:

:> Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board,
:> eleven, eleven, eleven and...
:> Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
:> Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
:> Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
:> Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most
:> blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the
:> way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar.
:> Where can you go from there? Where?
:> Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
:> Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra
:> push over the cliff, you know what we do?
:> Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
:> Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
:> Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be
:> the top number and make that a little louder?
:> Nigel Tufnel: [very long pause] These go to eleven.

> And I don't happen to agree with the sentiment, fwiw (nada).

Nor should you. These "barely getting by" band members clearly
lie on one side of the fine line, and you should have no trouble
guessing which side it is. If, however you're on their side, here's
a hint. They're not very clever. <g> Very good movie, BTW, even
if it is a pseudo documentary (some called it a mockumentary) about
an 80's metal hair band.

> This is Spinal Tap was the first feature film ever directed by Rob
> Reiner, but the band itself was first invented by its stars, Michael
> McKean, Christopher Guest and Harry Shearer, portraying
> David St. Hubbins, Nigel Tufnel and Derek Smalls respectively.
>
> The band debuted as a throwaway sketch on a forgettable TV
> skit comedy show in the late 1970s. Reiner took it on as a film
> project, mostly because he was painfully desperate to get people
> to stop calling him "Meathead." (It didn't work.)

http://www.rotten.com/library/culture/spinal-tap/

John McWilliams

ASAAR wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 20:23:18 -0800, John McWilliams wrote:
>
>>> "It's such a fine line between stupid, an'... " -- David St. Hubbins
>>> " ... and clever." -- Derek Smalls

>> Interesting to combine two snippets like so. Could you elaborate?

> It's dialog from Reiner's This Is Spinal Tap, spoken by two of the
> band's members. You know (maybe not) the film where Nigel Tufnel, a
> third member of the band played by Christopher Guest famously says
> of his amp. that has a volume control that goes to 11 instead of 10:
>
> :> Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board,
> :> eleven, eleven, eleven and...
> :> Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
> :> Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
> :> Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
> :> Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most
> :> blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the
> :> way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar.
> :> Where can you go from there? Where?
> :> Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
> :> Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra
> :> push over the cliff, you know what we do?
> :> Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
> :> Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
> :> Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be
> :> the top number and make that a little louder?
> :> Nigel Tufnel: [very long pause] These go to eleven.
>

>> And I don't happen to agree with the sentiment, fwiw (nada).

> Nor should you. These "barely getting by" band members clearly
> lie on one side of the fine line, and you should have no trouble
> guessing which side it is. If, however you're on their side, here's
> a hint. They're not very clever. <g> Very good movie, BTW, even
> if it is a pseudo documentary (some called it a mockumentary) about
> an 80's metal hair band.
>
>> This is Spinal Tap was the first feature film ever directed by Rob
>> Reiner, but the band itself was first invented by its stars, Michael
>> McKean, Christopher Guest and Harry Shearer, portraying
>> David St. Hubbins, Nigel Tufnel and Derek Smalls respectively.
>>
>> The band debuted as a throwaway sketch on a forgettable TV
>> skit comedy show in the late 1970s. Reiner took it on as a film
>> project, mostly because he was painfully desperate to get people
>> to stop calling him "Meathead." (It didn't work.)

> http://www.rotten.com/library/culture/spinal-tap/

Now there's an answer and a half- thanks. Spinal Tap somehow eluded me
at the time, and it's near the top of my catchup list. I've enjoyed the
films with Guest, Shearer, McKean, Levy, O'Hara, Miller, Begley,
etc.etc., although I haven't seen Guest's latest.

--
John McWilliams

Pete D

"King Sardon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 17:12:06 +0000, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Keith) wrote:
>
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Is this lense good and worthed to buy??
>>>
>>> GENUINE CANON EOS 75 - 300 mm F4 - 5.6 Mk III ZOOM LENS
>>> on www.ebay.co.uk
>>> GBP 75.00
>>> Item number: 130073064653

>>It's Lens not Lense

> It's worth, not worthed.
>
> Anyway, the 75-300mm is considered to be a decent lens but possibly
> not that great at the 300mm end. And you would probably want to use
> the 300 mm end a lot.
>
> Check out Google and make sure you are looking at the correct flavor
> of the 75-300mm varieties.
>
> http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...0mm/index3.htm
> http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=008kQE
>
> KS

Mind you i would never buy one, cos it will not fit my cameras.