Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Linux and RAW file format conversions

Linux and RAW file format conversions

Marco S Hyman

ray <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> > UFRAW also does batch conversions, and because of all the facilities
> > it provides, it is probably nicer than straight dcraw.

> That's not something I've seen yet with ufraw - could you explain how it
> works?

The ufraw man page and ufraw --help both mention the program
ufraw-batch...

ufraw-batch [OPTIONS] <rawfile(s)>

The help output says:

UFRaw first reads the setting from the resource file $HOME/.ufrawrc.
Then, if an ID file is specified it setting are read. Next, the setting from
the --conf option are taken, ignoring input/output filenames in the ID file.
Lastly, the options from the command line are set. In batch mode, the second
group of options is NOT read from the resource file.

// marc

Florent Gilles

Le Sat, 03 Feb 2007 10:28:03 -0700,
ray <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit :

> LightZone (and nearly all other Linux raw readers) uses dcraw to read
> and decode the raw data files. Other options include ufraw (most
> definitely worth a look - IMHO), bibble, and vuescan. You can also
> use dcraw by itself to do a batch conversion of a large number of raw
> files.

You forgot Raw Therapee :

http://www.rawtherapee.com/

ray

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 00:45:25 +0100, Florent Gilles wrote:

> Le Sat, 03 Feb 2007 10:28:03 -0700,
> ray <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit :
>
>> LightZone (and nearly all other Linux raw readers) uses dcraw to read
>> and decode the raw data files. Other options include ufraw (most
>> definitely worth a look - IMHO), bibble, and vuescan. You can also
>> use dcraw by itself to do a batch conversion of a large number of raw
>> files.

> You forgot Raw Therapee :
>
> http://www.rawtherapee.com/

I didn't forget it, I never heard of it. Will check it out. What might
it's main features be?

John Bean

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 23:10:36 -0700, ray <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 00:45:25 +0100, Florent Gilles wrote:
>
>> Le Sat, 03 Feb 2007 10:28:03 -0700,
>> ray <(E-Mail Removed)> a crit :
>>
>>> LightZone (and nearly all other Linux raw readers) uses dcraw to read
>>> and decode the raw data files. Other options include ufraw (most
>>> definitely worth a look - IMHO), bibble, and vuescan. You can also
>>> use dcraw by itself to do a batch conversion of a large number of raw
>>> files.

>> You forgot Raw Therapee :
>>
>> http://www.rawtherapee.com/

>I didn't forget it, I never heard of it. Will check it out. What might
>it's main features be?

Its incredibly slow speed. Unusably slow IMO, which is a
shame because it's quite well featured otherwise.

--
John Bean

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Bean
says...

> >> You forgot Raw Therapee :
> >>
> >> http://www.rawtherapee.com/

> >I didn't forget it, I never heard of it. Will check it out. What might
> >it's main features be?

> Its incredibly slow speed. Unusably slow IMO, which is a
> shame because it's quite well featured otherwise.

It looks like every time you move a slider and change a setting it
recomputes completely the entire image (demosaicing, colour correction,
noise filtering, sharpening etc.), which takes approx. 10 seconds on my
computer.
--

Alfred Molon