Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I'm close to buying a digital camera

I'm close to buying a digital camera

"bugbear" <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
news:45c31d7f$0$8722$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need
>> your advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up
>> my mind to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than
>> interchangeable lenses. Here are a few requirements:
>>
>> Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
>> Remote shutter release
>> Connection to an external monitor

> * Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
>> Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20

> * connection for external flash unit
> * Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible
>
> I think the requirments marked with an asterix
> aren't doable (or are very rare) in a integrated.
>
> Your upper bound print size is borderline too.

About 50% of my photography is studio portraiture using an electronic flash
kit (Norman, of course . The internal flash unit is just for snapshots.
If the camera has a hot shoe, I could use one of my existing flash units.
But I'm concerned about red eye, and other drawbacks of flash units too
close to the lens axis.

Norm

Andrew MacPherson

(E-Mail Removed)ve () wrote:

> Reviewers of the Fuji superzoom cameras seem to think that 6+
> megapixel is in perfect balance

Ideally I'd like the high-res EVF with the low-res sensor, but my
frustrating experience with a 115k EVF on the Canon S1 has led me to
worry about the EVF first and the sensor later. You can edit high-res
pictures for noise, etc if you need to. But you can't edit the screen
you have to look at every time you use the camera.

Andrew McP

Mike Russell

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> For the antidote to annoying, behold the Web page my daughter just made.
> http://www.dogster.com/dogs/420518/sniff

LOL - very elaborate, and probably an eye-opener for dogs as well as humans.
--

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

David J Taylor

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> "Dennis Pogson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jNCwh.90011$(E-Mail Removed)...

[]
>> Since no-one seems to be answering your question, buy a Panasonic
>> FZ50.

> Indeed, that is first solution that occurred to me. Is the sensor
> quiet enough for a decent 11 x 14" print?
>
> Norm

Might have to keep it on the lower ISO setting, or use noise reduction
software.

David

Holger.Lillqvist@helsinki.fi.remove

Andrew MacPherson wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed)ve () wrote:

>> Reviewers of the Fuji superzoom cameras seem to think that 6+
>> megapixel is in perfect balance

> Ideally I'd like the high-res EVF with the low-res sensor, but my
> frustrating experience with a 115k EVF on the Canon S1 has led me to
> worry about the EVF first and the sensor later. You can edit high-res
> pictures for noise, etc if you need to. But you can't edit the screen
> you have to look at every time you use the camera.

You have a good point there. Today I had the Fuji F6000/6500fd in my
hand, and the grainy 115k electronic viewfinder is quite a spoiler
of what otherwise seems to be a fine camera.

Daniel Silevitch

On 9 Feb 2007 01:37:34 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)ve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Andrew MacPherson wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed)ve () wrote:

>>> Reviewers of the Fuji superzoom cameras seem to think that 6+
>>> megapixel is in perfect balance

>> Ideally I'd like the high-res EVF with the low-res sensor, but my
>> frustrating experience with a 115k EVF on the Canon S1 has led me to
>> worry about the EVF first and the sensor later. You can edit high-res
>> pictures for noise, etc if you need to. But you can't edit the screen
>> you have to look at every time you use the camera.

> You have a good point there. Today I had the Fuji F6000/6500fd in my
> hand, and the grainy 115k electronic viewfinder is quite a spoiler
> of what otherwise seems to be a fine camera.

DPReview has a review up of the latest Panasonic superzoom, and one of
the major upgrades was a ~65% increase in the pixel count of the EVF (to
188k pixels). Hopefully, the other superzoom manufacturers will follow
suit.

-dms