Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak Z612 Digital Camera

Kodak Z612 Digital Camera

Lou

I am a newbie to these new digital cameras and I just purchased a Kodak
Z612 Digital Camera. I just did a couple trial pictures of my cats and
they look beautiful!! This is an Easyshare Camera by Kodak so I am
using the Easyshare Software. This camera has an internal memory and I
see that if I want to take a large number of pictures, video clips, or
a combination of ... I will need to purchase a memory card. I just
looked at Kodak and they have two available SD Memory Cards (Kodak
brand) for 1GB. The one card goes for $69 and the "Premium" Card goes
for $84. I was wondering whether to spen the extra $$$ for a "Premium"
card or not. Anyone have the Kodak Z612 Camera too? My Son is getting
married soon and I'd like to use this camera for some extra wedding
pictures and mocie clips so that is why I chose the 1GB Card. Any
thoughts or suggestions on choosing a memory card would be much
appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help!

Regards,

Lou

Cgiorgio

"Lou" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:Xns98CA83AA16BE8garfieldanetcom@216.168.3.44. ..
>I am a newbie to these new digital cameras and I just purchased a Kodak
> Z612 Digital Camera. I just did a couple trial pictures of my cats and
> they look beautiful!! This is an Easyshare Camera by Kodak so I am
> using the Easyshare Software. This camera has an internal memory and I
> see that if I want to take a large number of pictures, video clips, or
> a combination of ... I will need to purchase a memory card. I just
> looked at Kodak and they have two available SD Memory Cards (Kodak
> brand) for 1GB. The one card goes for $69 and the "Premium" Card goes
> for $84. I was wondering whether to spen the extra $$$ for a "Premium"
> card or not. Anyone have the Kodak Z612 Camera too? My Son is getting
> married soon and I'd like to use this camera for some extra wedding
> pictures and mocie clips so that is why I chose the 1GB Card. Any
> thoughts or suggestions on choosing a memory card would be much
> appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help!
>
> Regards,
>
> Lou

There is a standard set for SD memory cards set by the SD card association
(www.sdcard.org). Any memory card carrying the official SD logo and not
exceeding 2 GB of capacity should be compatible with your camera. Any place
selling digital cameras should have them. There is probably no advantage in
write speed with the Kodak Z - series camera when uyou use a so called "high
speed" version, recent standard SD cards are also relatively fast. Brands
known to be reliable include SanDisk, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic, Transcend
and a few others. Just look in local photo shops, supermarkets or drug
stores. You should be able to buy a brand name 1 GB SD card for around US$
20 a 2 GB at or below US$ 40.

ray

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 18:56:36 +0000, Lou wrote:

> I am a newbie to these new digital cameras and I just purchased a Kodak
> Z612 Digital Camera. I just did a couple trial pictures of my cats and
> they look beautiful!! This is an Easyshare Camera by Kodak so I am
> using the Easyshare Software. This camera has an internal memory and I
> see that if I want to take a large number of pictures, video clips, or
> a combination of ... I will need to purchase a memory card. I just
> looked at Kodak and they have two available SD Memory Cards (Kodak
> brand) for 1GB. The one card goes for $69 and the "Premium" Card goes
> for $84. I was wondering whether to spen the extra $$$ for a "Premium"
> card or not. Anyone have the Kodak Z612 Camera too? My Son is getting
> married soon and I'd like to use this camera for some extra wedding
> pictures and mocie clips so that is why I chose the 1GB Card. Any
> thoughts or suggestions on choosing a memory card would be much
> appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help!
>
> Regards,
>
> Lou

I recently purchased a Kodak P850. I went to OfficeMax (or was it Staples)
and bought a 1gb SD card for $20. I later got a 2gb SD from OfficeMax
during their online Thanksgiving sale for $25. Works fine.

Roy G

"Lou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns98CA83AA16BE8garfieldanetcom@216.168.3.44. ..
>I am a newbie to these new digital cameras and I just purchased a Kodak
> Z612 Digital Camera. I just did a couple trial pictures of my cats and
> they look beautiful!! This is an Easyshare Camera by Kodak so I am
> using the Easyshare Software. This camera has an internal memory and I
> see that if I want to take a large number of pictures, video clips, or
> a combination of ... I will need to purchase a memory card. I just
> looked at Kodak and they have two available SD Memory Cards (Kodak
> brand) for 1GB. The one card goes for $69 and the "Premium" Card goes
> for $84. I was wondering whether to spen the extra $$$ for a "Premium"
> card or not. Anyone have the Kodak Z612 Camera too? My Son is getting
> married soon and I'd like to use this camera for some extra wedding
> pictures and mocie clips so that is why I chose the 1GB Card. Any
> thoughts or suggestions on choosing a memory card would be much
> appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help!
>
> Regards,
>
> Lou

Hi

Strange as it may seem, the God of the Big Yellow Box, does not make any
kind of Memory Card.

They just get their Yellow Labels stuck on to someone elses card and charge
extra, because they know that a fair number of mugs will not know enough to
go and buy a card from one of the Companies who actually make them.

Just like they told everyone in the days of film to only ever put Kodak Film
in their Cameras.

So if you want to pay Kodak 3 times the price, on you go.

I much prefer to put Lexar, Sandisc, or even PNY or Kingston in my Nikon.

Roy G

Ron Hunter

Lou wrote:
> I am a newbie to these new digital cameras and I just purchased a Kodak
> Z612 Digital Camera. I just did a couple trial pictures of my cats and
> they look beautiful!! This is an Easyshare Camera by Kodak so I am
> using the Easyshare Software. This camera has an internal memory and I
> see that if I want to take a large number of pictures, video clips, or
> a combination of ... I will need to purchase a memory card. I just
> looked at Kodak and they have two available SD Memory Cards (Kodak
> brand) for 1GB. The one card goes for $69 and the "Premium" Card goes
> for $84. I was wondering whether to spen the extra $$$ for a "Premium"
> card or not. Anyone have the Kodak Z612 Camera too? My Son is getting
> married soon and I'd like to use this camera for some extra wedding
> pictures and mocie clips so that is why I chose the 1GB Card. Any
> thoughts or suggestions on choosing a memory card would be much
> appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help!
>
> Regards,
>
> Lou

DON'T BUY THE KODAK CARDS!

Since you can, assuming you live in the US, find 1GB cards for under
$20, there is NO POINT in spending 3 or 4 times that for a card.
Believe me, there is no significant difference between the $20 card you
can buy at CVS pharmacy, and the card Kodak sells for $84 in your camera.

Ken Weitzel

Ron Hunter wrote:
> Lou wrote:
>> I am a newbie to these new digital cameras and I just purchased a
>> Kodak Z612 Digital Camera. I just did a couple trial pictures of my
>> cats and they look beautiful!! This is an Easyshare Camera by Kodak so
>> I am using the Easyshare Software. This camera has an internal memory
>> and I see that if I want to take a large number of pictures, video
>> clips, or a combination of ... I will need to purchase a memory card.
>> I just looked at Kodak and they have two available SD Memory Cards
>> (Kodak brand) for 1GB. The one card goes for $69 and the "Premium"
>> Card goes for $84. I was wondering whether to spen the extra $$$ for a
>> "Premium" card or not. Anyone have the Kodak Z612 Camera too? My Son
>> is getting married soon and I'd like to use this camera for some extra
>> wedding pictures and mocie clips so that is why I chose the 1GB Card.
>> Any thoughts or suggestions on choosing a memory card would be much
>> appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help!
>> Regards,
>>
>> Lou

> DON'T BUY THE KODAK CARDS!
>
> Since you can, assuming you live in the US, find 1GB cards for under
> $20, there is NO POINT in spending 3 or 4 times that for a card. Believe
> me, there is no significant difference between the $20 card you can buy
> at CVS pharmacy, and the card Kodak sells for $84 in your camera.

Hi...

I'd respectfully suggest that the OP buy not one, but two cards.
Perhaps three if the budget allows.

Then during significant shoots, such as his boy's wedding, change cards
once in a while, preferably during a lull in each of the events.
(coming out of the church, shoot a few, change cards, and continue
shooting)

Just as it's unwise to put all of our eggs in one basket, it's also
unwise to put all of our pics in one card

Take care.

Ken

Ron Hunter

Ken Weitzel wrote:
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> Lou wrote:
>>> I am a newbie to these new digital cameras and I just purchased a
>>> Kodak Z612 Digital Camera. I just did a couple trial pictures of my
>>> cats and they look beautiful!! This is an Easyshare Camera by Kodak
>>> so I am using the Easyshare Software. This camera has an internal
>>> memory and I see that if I want to take a large number of pictures,
>>> video clips, or a combination of ... I will need to purchase a memory
>>> card. I just looked at Kodak and they have two available SD Memory
>>> Cards (Kodak brand) for 1GB. The one card goes for $69 and the
>>> "Premium" Card goes for $84. I was wondering whether to spen the
>>> extra $$$ for a "Premium" card or not. Anyone have the Kodak Z612
>>> Camera too? My Son is getting married soon and I'd like to use this
>>> camera for some extra wedding pictures and mocie clips so that is why
>>> I chose the 1GB Card. Any thoughts or suggestions on choosing a
>>> memory card would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for any
>>> help!
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Lou

>> DON'T BUY THE KODAK CARDS!
>>
>> Since you can, assuming you live in the US, find 1GB cards for under
>> $20, there is NO POINT in spending 3 or 4 times that for a card.
>> Believe me, there is no significant difference between the $20 card
>> you can buy at CVS pharmacy, and the card Kodak sells for $84 in your
>> camera.

> Hi...
>
> I'd respectfully suggest that the OP buy not one, but two cards. Perhaps
> three if the budget allows.
>
> Then during significant shoots, such as his boy's wedding, change cards
> once in a while, preferably during a lull in each of the events.
> (coming out of the church, shoot a few, change cards, and continue
> shooting)
>
> Just as it's unwise to put all of our eggs in one basket, it's also
> unwise to put all of our pics in one card
>
> Take care.
>
> Ken

And put the cards in a safe place. The little buggers are easy to lose!

Lou

"Cgiorgio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:epth81$96a$03$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com:

> "Lou" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:Xns98CA83AA16BE8garfieldanetcom@216.168.3.44. ..
>>I am a newbie to these new digital cameras and I just purchased a
>>Kodak
>> Z612 Digital Camera. I just did a couple trial pictures of my
>> cats and they look beautiful!! This is an Easyshare Camera by
>> Kodak so I am using the Easyshare Software. This camera has an
>> internal memory and I see that if I want to take a large number
>> of pictures, video clips, or a combination of ... I will need to
>> purchase a memory card. I just looked at Kodak and they have two
>> available SD Memory Cards (Kodak brand) for 1GB. The one card
>> goes for $69 and the "Premium" Card goes for $84. I was wondering
>> whether to spen the extra $$$ for a "Premium" card or not. Anyone
>> have the Kodak Z612 Camera too? My Son is getting married soon
>> and I'd like to use this camera for some extra wedding pictures
>> and mocie clips so that is why I chose the 1GB Card. Any thoughts
>> or suggestions on choosing a memory card would be much
>> appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help!
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Lou

> There is a standard set for SD memory cards set by the SD card
> association (www.sdcard.org). Any memory card carrying the
> official SD logo and not exceeding 2 GB of capacity should be
> compatible with your camera. Any place selling digital cameras
> should have them. There is probably no advantage in write speed
> with the Kodak Z - series camera when uyou use a so called "high
> speed" version, recent standard SD cards are also relatively fast.
> Brands known to be reliable include SanDisk, Samsung, Toshiba,
> Panasonic, Transcend and a few others. Just look in local photo
> shops, supermarkets or drug stores. You should be able to buy a
> brand name 1 GB SD card for around US$ 20 a 2 GB at or below US$
> 40.

Thank you and the other persons who responded so well and quickly toi
my Memory Card question on my new Kodak Z612. I love the pictures it
takes and now I, like all of you get the 1GB SD Card from any of the
local stores that run a good sale ... and thanks for the added clue
that Kodak just attaches it name to a SD Card (as other companies do
as well in their product lines).

As I understand it from your response, the SD Card that is called a
"Premium Card" just stores the pics and videos faster and that is it
so I will stick to just a standard 1GB Card.

I dont think the Kodak Z612 will take a 2GB Card but I will
definitely check that out. I plan to take a lot of video clips and
pictures at my Son's wedding later this year so if I can use the 2GB
Card all the better!!

Thanks again for the good information!

Lou

Ron Hunter

Lou wrote:
> "Cgiorgio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:epth81$96a$03$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com:
>
>> "Lou" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> news:Xns98CA83AA16BE8garfieldanetcom@216.168.3.44. ..
>>> I am a newbie to these new digital cameras and I just purchased a
>>> Kodak
>>> Z612 Digital Camera. I just did a couple trial pictures of my
>>> cats and they look beautiful!! This is an Easyshare Camera by
>>> Kodak so I am using the Easyshare Software. This camera has an
>>> internal memory and I see that if I want to take a large number
>>> of pictures, video clips, or a combination of ... I will need to
>>> purchase a memory card. I just looked at Kodak and they have two
>>> available SD Memory Cards (Kodak brand) for 1GB. The one card
>>> goes for $69 and the "Premium" Card goes for $84. I was wondering
>>> whether to spen the extra $$$ for a "Premium" card or not. Anyone
>>> have the Kodak Z612 Camera too? My Son is getting married soon
>>> and I'd like to use this camera for some extra wedding pictures
>>> and mocie clips so that is why I chose the 1GB Card. Any thoughts
>>> or suggestions on choosing a memory card would be much
>>> appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help!
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Lou

>> There is a standard set for SD memory cards set by the SD card
>> association (www.sdcard.org). Any memory card carrying the
>> official SD logo and not exceeding 2 GB of capacity should be
>> compatible with your camera. Any place selling digital cameras
>> should have them. There is probably no advantage in write speed
>> with the Kodak Z - series camera when uyou use a so called "high
>> speed" version, recent standard SD cards are also relatively fast.
>> Brands known to be reliable include SanDisk, Samsung, Toshiba,
>> Panasonic, Transcend and a few others. Just look in local photo
>> shops, supermarkets or drug stores. You should be able to buy a
>> brand name 1 GB SD card for around US$ 20 a 2 GB at or below US$
>> 40.
>>

> Thank you and the other persons who responded so well and quickly toi
> my Memory Card question on my new Kodak Z612. I love the pictures it
> takes and now I, like all of you get the 1GB SD Card from any of the
> local stores that run a good sale ... and thanks for the added clue
> that Kodak just attaches it name to a SD Card (as other companies do
> as well in their product lines).
>
> As I understand it from your response, the SD Card that is called a
> "Premium Card" just stores the pics and videos faster and that is it
> so I will stick to just a standard 1GB Card.
>
> I dont think the Kodak Z612 will take a 2GB Card but I will
> definitely check that out. I plan to take a lot of video clips and
> pictures at my Son's wedding later this year so if I can use the 2GB
> Card all the better!!
>
> Thanks again for the good information!
>
> Lou

Lou,
I agree with the 'too many eggs in one basket' warning. Better two
1GB cards...

ASAAR

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 22:13:08 -0000, Lou wrote:

> As I understand it from your response, the SD Card that is called a
> "Premium Card" just stores the pics and videos faster and that is it
> so I will stick to just a standard 1GB Card.
>
> I dont think the Kodak Z612 will take a 2GB Card but I will
> definitely check that out. I plan to take a lot of video clips and
> pictures at my Son's wedding later this year so if I can use the 2GB
> Card all the better!!

In that case maybe you should find out if a slower card might
cause video problems. Two things to look out for are first, that if
a memory card is too slow to keep up, the saved video will have
occasional dropouts. A slower card will have even more dropouts.
The second problem I'd guess would be unlikely in a modern camera,
but some older ones the didn't use fast memory cards would create
dropout-free videos only until the camera's internal memory buffer
was full, and would then stop recording and save whatever video was
captured to that point, which might limit the video length to no
more than a couple of minutes, if that.

In other words, before shooting any videos that you won't have a
second chance at, make sure that the card you use is fast enough. I
noticed that the Z612 also records stereo audio with its video,
which is nice feature not shared by many cameras.