Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is this true about Canon?

Is this true about Canon?

ASAAR

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 03:16:44 -0700, Roger N. Clark petulantly
(change username to rnclark) posited:

>>> "Canon for some time has been the faster better sports equipment. Not
>>> all just in auto focus but also frames per second and write speed to the
>>> buffer is also faster. Read the features and compare. There are also
>>> many more lenses in the Canon system.
>>> . . .

>> Last time I counted (last fall), the difference was a few lenses...not
>> exactly a big difference. The only place where Nikon lacks really is the
>> tilt/shift model that Canon has. And when it comes to good quality
>> consumer lenses, Nikon is doing better than Canon right now.

> The post was specifically about fast sports photo equipment. In the fast
> action department, Canon certainly has the fastest pro digital camera

Nonsense. The first point referred to fast sports equipment.
Bill quoted this and did not disagree with respect to the claimed
speed advantage some Canon equipment may hold, and specifically
agreed with the OP's advice to "Read the features and compare".

In the very next sentence in the same first paragraph the OP said
that there are also "many more lenses in the Canon system". Bill
next quoted that part, and his response indicated that what the OP
had read was mistaken, and he explained why. Evidently this
bothered you enough to incorrectly complain that the OP's post was
"specifically about fast sports photo equipment". It's clear that
your Canon chauvinism hasn't yet abated. Should Bill have responded
to the OP's second point be starting another thread, or, as I
suspect, you'd rather have people only write those things that
support your preferences or biases?

> In the digital era, there are two areas where Canon is out in front:
> larger sensors and lower noise.

BZZZZT!!! Invalid response. "The post was specifically about
fast sports photo equipment." Or so you said. <g>

Brian Lund

> > In the digital era, there are two areas where Canon is out in front:
> > larger sensors and lower noise.

> BZZZZT!!! Invalid response. "The post was specifically about
> fast sports photo equipment." Or so you said. <g>

Less noise will make it more pleasing to watch a picture taken at high ISO,
which in turn will give you a faster shutter speed as to capture fast-action
sport pictures!

Brian

tomm42

On Jan 31, 11:59 pm, M-M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Someone else wrote the following and I'm wondering if it is true:
>
> "Canon for some time has been the faster better sports equipment. Not
> all just in auto focus but also frames per second and write speed to the
> buffer is also faster. Read the features and compare. There are also
> many more lenses in the Canon system. Nikon only does as well as it
> does because so many photographers had a large number of Nikon lenses as
> the photo world began to change. Canon now has over 80% on the
> professional market because of chip size and all the great features. If
> you ever use a Canon Camera for just a short while you will see what I
> am talking about and you would never look back. Nothing wrong with
> Nikon of Fuji they are just that other 20% for the most part, and that
> does not make them bad. All of the cameras today make great photographs
> as long as you set them the right way. As for Canons auto focus system
> everything else is second."
>
> "Read about their ring ultrasonic motor for rapid autofocus. Hold a
> Nikon in your hands and then a Canon--and compare the rapidity of
> autofocus with a long lens (a Canon white lens)--even to Nikon's own
> version of the ring ultrasonic motor."
> --
> m-m

As everyone has said no camera does everything the best, there are
always compromises. Right now Nikon's metering, and flash systems are
supposedly better than Canons. Argueably Canon's long lenses focus
faster.
What Canon does is treat pros better. If you are on their "Pro list"
you can get free loaners of those white lenses to cover events. Canon
cover a lot of events this way, shot a "First Night" for a town paper,
at most of the events a photographer working for a national news
agency was there. Said his own cameras stay home, He 2 D1mII bodies
witha 24-70 and a 70-200 IS lenses. We shot a dance troup, he showed
me his images, I had Tri-X and knew everything I shot was going to be
very grainy. He said he was just going to pack all the camera and
lenses in a box and ship them FedX back to Canon in the morning. Nikon
has a similar program but make it much more difficult for the
photographers to get equipment and services.

Tom

Roy G

"M-M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Someone else wrote the following and I'm wondering if it is true:

Who bloody cares??????

I like my Nikon.

Others like their Canons.

Everyone lives happily ever after.
( except of course the proper bar stewards who work in marketing departments
of Camera Companies).

Roy G

Neil Ellwood

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 22:06:10 -0800, Annika1980 wrote:

> On Jan 31, 11:59 pm, M-M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Someone else wrote the following and I'm wondering if it is true:
>>

> It's true, it's true.
> It's damn true.

Was it Rita?

--
Neil
Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.

David Dyer-Bennet

Bill wrote:
> "M-M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> you ever use a Canon Camera for just a short while you will see what I
>> am talking about and you would never look back.

> I laugh when I read stuff like this because I used to own Canon gear
> with some nice L glass, and I sold it all to make the switch to Nikon.
> The reason? Ergonomics.
>
> I found the Nikon bodies have better control layout and are much more
> comfortable to hold. I compared the Canon 30D and Nikon D80 models, and
> opted to make the switch to Nikon rather than buy another Canon model.

A friend shooting a Canon 5D professionally isn't ready to swap for my
Nikon D200 -- but he's been grousing about the Canon ergonomics forever
(he's had two or three Canon DSLR bodies), and thinks Nikon is MUCH
better in that regard.

Annika1980

On Feb 1, 1:31 am, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > It's true, it's true.
> > It's damn true.

> What??
>
> A comment like that and no images to go with it?

You want to see Canon images? Go buy a Sports Illustrated.

ASAAR wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 03:16:44 -0700, Roger N. Clark petulantly
> (change username to rnclark) posited:

>>> Last time I counted (last fall), the difference was a few lenses...not
>>> exactly a big difference. The only place where Nikon lacks really is the
>>> tilt/shift model that Canon has. And when it comes to good quality
>>> consumer lenses, Nikon is doing better than Canon right now.

>> The post was specifically about fast sports photo equipment. In the fast
>> action department, Canon certainly has the fastest pro digital camera

> Nonsense. The first point referred to fast sports equipment.
> Bill quoted this and did not disagree with respect to the claimed
> speed advantage some Canon equipment may hold, and specifically
> agreed with the OP's advice to "Read the features and compare".
>
> In the very next sentence in the same first paragraph the OP said
> that there are also "many more lenses in the Canon system". Bill
> next quoted that part, and his response indicated that what the OP
> had read was mistaken, and he explained why. Evidently this
> bothered you enough to incorrectly complain that the OP's post was
> "specifically about fast sports photo equipment". It's clear that
> your Canon chauvinism hasn't yet abated. Should Bill have responded
> to the OP's second point be starting another thread, or, as I
> suspect, you'd rather have people only write those things that
> support your preferences or biases?

See:
http://www.nikonimaging.com/global/p...lens/index.htm

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/eflens...eup/index.html

I counted 46 nikon versus 61 canon autofocus lenses. I would call
that significant: 1/3 more. More significant is lack of VR in the
supertelephoto range IMO. I do hope nikon comes out with VR in that
range soon. Canon certainly has more than just tilt-shift lenses over
nikon.

>> In the digital era, there are two areas where Canon is out in front:
>> larger sensors and lower noise.

> BZZZZT!!! Invalid response. "The post was specifically about
> fast sports photo equipment." Or so you said. <g>

Double BZZZZZT!! Action photography is all about speed. Cranking up the
ISO is often needed when light levels drop. Low noise sensors have the edge.
So do higher megapixel count large sensors: you don't have to enlarge
as much to get that large print, and that too helps with noise
perception in the final image.

Roger

C J Campbell

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 02:40:32 -0800, Toni Nikkanen wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> "Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> But the difference in sports and wildlife action
>> photography between Nikon and Canon started before the digital era.

> Indeed, it started all the way back in the manual focus era with Canon
> emphasizing SLR's with shutter priority auto exposure when everyone
> else was aperture priority.

Actually, Yashica beat Canon to that...

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

C J Campbell

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 07:02:03 -0800, Roy G wrote
(in article <Lhnwh.89514$(E-Mail Removed)>):

> "M-M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Someone else wrote the following and I'm wondering if it is true:
>>

> Who bloody cares??????
>
> I like my Nikon.
>
> Others like their Canons.
>
> Everyone lives happily ever after.
> ( except of course the proper bar stewards who work in marketing departments
> of Camera Companies).

Heretic! Next you will be saying that the Ford vs. Chevy debate is
unimportant.

Burn him at the stake!