Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > scanning slides

scanning slides

fxxy

Is there an attachment that will allow me to scan slides on a canon
scanner?

Little Green Eyed Dragon

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
"fxxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there an attachment that will allow me to scan slides on a canon
> scanner?

Yah the idiot proof one.

--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere

"fxxy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there an attachment that will allow me to scan slides on a canon
> scanner?

I guess you won't be doing any scans.

--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
in the middle. "Me who is part taoist and part Christian".

Bob Williams

fxxy wrote:
> Is there an attachment that will allow me to scan slides on a canon
> scanner?

Canon has a lot of scanners that will scan slides. So does Epson
Visit Canon's website for info on specific models.
Bob Williams

Dave S

fxxy wrote:
> Is there an attachment that will allow me to scan slides on a canon
> scanner?

If you have a digital camera that can accept close-up filters, you will
spend much less time for better results than a flat-bed scanner.

Dave S.

Dennis Pogson

Dave S wrote:
> fxxy wrote:
>> Is there an attachment that will allow me to scan slides on a canon
>> scanner?
>>

> If you have a digital camera that can accept close-up filters, you
> will spend much less time for better results than a flat-bed scanner.
>
> Dave S.

I would have thought a slide scanner was the answer.

Little Green Eyed Dragon

In article <xV5wh.3310$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Dennis Pogson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Dave S wrote:
> > fxxy wrote:
> >> Is there an attachment that will allow me to scan slides on a canon
> >> scanner?
> >>

> > If you have a digital camera that can accept close-up filters, you
> > will spend much less time for better results than a flat-bed scanner.
> >
> > Dave S.

> I would have thought a slide scanner was the answer.

In some respects Dave is correct, for down and dirty fast digital files
the copy method works rather nicely provided your camera images at full
frame of the 35mm.

--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
in the middle. "Me who is part taoist and part Christian".

Olin K. McDaniel

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:43:11 -0500, Little Green Eyed Dragon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <xV5wh.3310$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Dennis Pogson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Dave S wrote:
>> >>

>> > If you have a digital camera that can accept close-up filters, you
>> > will spend much less time for better results than a flat-bed scanner.
>> >
>> > Dave S.

>> I would have thought a slide scanner was the answer.

>In some respects Dave is correct, for down and dirty fast digital files
>the copy method works rather nicely provided your camera images at full
>frame of the 35mm.

I'll toss in my 2 cents worth, having just gone thru this operation,
both methods for comparison. Several years ago when I got my first
Nikon CoolPix 950 digital camera, I worked out a technique for copying
color 35mm slides using it and my jury rigged "light box". The main
value of that camera was - it had excellent Macro capability, so I
could put the lens close enough to fill the image frame with the image
of the slide. Later I found using a 7X good quality eye loupe between
the lens and the slide gave even better results. As the years passed,
I obtained more cameras, including 2 CoolPix 995, and they were
slightly better than the 950. All this time, my flatbed scanner, a HP
4400C was useless for this purpose. And dedicated slide scanners were
priced WAY too high for me, considering the cameras worked as well as
they did.

Just recently I found nearly 400 B&W negatives, some of 35 mm but
most of 3 1/4" X 4 1/4" size that I'd taken during and after WW II,
while in the Navy. Once again I tried my HP scanner on them, it was
totally worthless for B&W negatives. So, back to the camera approach,
and I digitized over 80 of my preferred ones this way. Then processed
them in PhotoShop. Only a few days after finishing this, a local
friend bought a recently released Canon 8600F flatbed scanner, and
found it worked well for his slides. So, at his invitation, I took
some of my 35mm plus some of the larger B&W negatives over and we
scanned them on that new Canon scanner. I was quite pleased with what
it could do, far more than my older scanner ever was able. When
getting the files back home, I compared the images it made with those
I made with the camera, and much to my great surprise - the scanner
had greater resolution and detail. It's only flaw was it was limited
to 3" width film, so I lost roughly 1/4" of those larger images. And
what it could do with the 35mm negatives and color slides was far
better than I'd been able to do with the camera. Bottom line, for
most of my uses this unit at less than $180 price can do everything I
need, thus eliminating forever my purchase of a $1000+ dedicated slide
scanner. This technology seems to be improving rapidly, for which I'm
very grateful.

Olin McDaniel