Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

Digital photo of a page to be viewed on mac and pc

Ken Lucke

In article <300120070126555669%(E-Mail Removed)>, RPS <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I have to take a digital photograph of a page (US letter size, mostly
> text). The resulting computer file would be distrubuted among several
> people who for viewing and printing on both Macs and PC's.

Wouldn't scanning be better?

> I do not have any way to know who will have what software installed on
> their computer, so I must assume a basic generic setup.
>
> With that in mind, (1) What format do I want? (2) What size the file
> should be in pixels, for it to be viewed comfortably on screen and
> printed?

PDF

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

Denominator

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
>> I have to take a digital photograph of a page (US letter size, mostly
>> text). The resulting computer file would be distrubuted among several
>> people who for viewing and printing on both Macs and PC's.
>>
>> I do not have any way to know who will have what software installed on
>> their computer, so I must assume a basic generic setup.
>>
>> With that in mind, (1) What format do I want? (2) What size the file
>> should be in pixels, for it to be viewed comfortably on screen and
>> printed?

> Two things to keep in mind:
>
> First, if you use JPG for file compression --- and you almost
> certainly will, use a high quality setting. Otherwise it will be
> hard to read the text.
>
> Secondly, you probably need different files for viewing and for
> printing. For viewing, assume 72dpi, which is to say, a file size of
> about 612x792. For printing, you'll want at least 150 dpi, and
> preferably 300 dpi, though the files will be so large that no one will
> want to use them. In general, a graphics file is a bad way to give
> someone something to print.
>
> -Joel

> EXIF data for any image or web page: http://exif.posted-online.com

I used to use OCR to convert scanned print into RTF, with which many
applications can print crisp documents from small files.

The US Patent Office uses TIFF at 300 dpi for many records. For an 8
megapixel page, their compressed TIFF was 136kB. Not all applications
can handle various TIFF compression schemes. Uncompressed TIFF was 1MB.
GIF was 260kB. Reasonably good JPG was 2.3MB.

RTF might be 5kB or so.

C J Campbell

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:26:54 -0800, RPS wrote
(in article <300120070126555669%(E-Mail Removed)>):

> I have to take a digital photograph of a page (US letter size, mostly
> text). The resulting computer file would be distrubuted among several
> people who for viewing and printing on both Macs and PC's.
>
> I do not have any way to know who will have what software installed on
> their computer, so I must assume a basic generic setup.
>
> With that in mind, (1) What format do I want? (2) What size the file
> should be in pixels, for it to be viewed comfortably on screen and
> printed?
>
> Thanks.

PDF is the only way to go. It is the most simple, everyone can read it, and
it doesn't change the way it looks from one computer to another. There are
plenty of utilities that will take an ordinary Word or similar document and
convert it to PDF.

Otherwise, JPG. Everyone has a JPG viewer. Obviously, someone who has a VGA
screen is going to want very low resolution, say, no more than 640 pixels on
a side. Don't worry about those folks. For a photo, I generally want to limit
it to 800 pixels on a side, but that would be too small for text. You want at
least 1020 pixels, but then it might not be easy to display on a single
screen, which gets us back to PDF, which can be easily re-sized for anybody's
viewing preference.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Bill

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:20:59 -0800, C J Campbell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:26:54 -0800, RPS wrote
>(in article <300120070126555669%(E-Mail Removed)>):
>
>> I have to take a digital photograph of a page (US letter size, mostly
>> text). The resulting computer file would be distrubuted among several
>> people who for viewing and printing on both Macs and PC's.
>>
>> I do not have any way to know who will have what software installed on
>> their computer, so I must assume a basic generic setup.
>>
>> With that in mind, (1) What format do I want? (2) What size the file
>> should be in pixels, for it to be viewed comfortably on screen and
>> printed?
>>
>> Thanks.

>There are plenty of utilities that will take an ordinary Word or similar document and
>convert it to PDF.

Could you name a couple, please. I have had trrouble finding one that
works consistently.

Thanks

John of Aix

ZnU wrote:
> In article <300120070126555669%(E-Mail Removed)>, RPS <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I have to take a digital photograph of a page (US letter size, mostly
>> text).

> You'd really be much better off using a scanner.
>
>> The resulting computer file would be distrubuted among several people
>> who for viewing and printing on both Macs and PC's.
>>
>> I do not have any way to know who will have what software installed
>> on their computer, so I must assume a basic generic setup.
>>
>> With that in mind, (1) What format do I want?

> PDF, ideally. Basically everyone can also open GIF and JPEG files, but
> it'll be more work for the people printing them to get them to fill
> (but not spill over) a single page.

Mais il est fou lui C'est une image, pas besoin d'avoir un fichier PDF
lourdingue pour ça. JPG, BMP, GIF ou autre format quasi-universel fera
parfaitement l'affaire

John of Aix

John of Aix wrote:

Whoops, in French again.

I was saying that PDF is for nutcases. A simple JPG, BMP, GIF or any
other quasi-universal file will be perfectly OK

John of Aix

Ken Lucke wrote:
> In article <300120070126555669%(E-Mail Removed)>, RPS <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I have to take a digital photograph of a page (US letter size, mostly
>> text). The resulting computer file would be distrubuted among several
>> people who for viewing and printing on both Macs and PC's.

> Wouldn't scanning be better?
>
>> I do not have any way to know who will have what software installed
>> on their computer, so I must assume a basic generic setup.
>>
>> With that in mind, (1) What format do I want? (2) What size the file
>> should be in pixels, for it to be viewed comfortably on screen and
>> printed?

> PDF

PDF requires something to convert to PDFwhich is not native to a basic
PC, en top of that for what it doezs (we're talking one page here) it
incredibly heavy (Kb wise) and generally, in my opinion, PDF is crap and
a waste of time. I have never yet seen a file that couldn't be handled
just as well as Word document or similar.

John of Aix

C J Campbell wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:26:54 -0800, RPS wrote
> (in article <300120070126555669%(E-Mail Removed)>):
>
>> I have to take a digital photograph of a page (US letter size, mostly
>> text). The resulting computer file would be distrubuted among several
>> people who for viewing and printing on both Macs and PC's.
>>
>> I do not have any way to know who will have what software installed
>> on their computer, so I must assume a basic generic setup.
>>
>> With that in mind, (1) What format do I want? (2) What size the file
>> should be in pixels, for it to be viewed comfortably on screen and
>> printed?
>>
>> Thanks.

> PDF is the only way to go. It is the most simple, everyone can read
> it, and it doesn't change the way it looks from one computer to
> another.

It also requires third party software and for that is not the best
choice for anyone. A simple image of good quality will do fine in the
case under discussion.

John of Aix

Bill wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:20:59 -0800, C J Campbell
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:26:54 -0800, RPS wrote
>> (in article <300120070126555669%(E-Mail Removed)>):
>>
>>> I have to take a digital photograph of a page (US letter size,
>>> mostly text). The resulting computer file would be distrubuted
>>> among several people who for viewing and printing on both Macs and
>>> PC's.
>>>
>>> I do not have any way to know who will have what software installed
>>> on their computer, so I must assume a basic generic setup.
>>>
>>> With that in mind, (1) What format do I want? (2) What size the file
>>> should be in pixels, for it to be viewed comfortably on screen and
>>> printed?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> There are plenty of utilities that will take an ordinary Word or
>> similar document and convert it to PDF.

> Could you name a couple, please. I have had trrouble finding one that
> works consistently.

Exactly. It requires third party software or add-ons, images do not. You
have a picture to send, not a picture and readable and modifiable text
to send. It is therefore completely useless to change it into a very
heavy format such as PDF which will not only make its display ugly
(because read in Acrobat Reader) but will print no better. Send a good
quality image and that will do.

Ken Lucke

In article <45bfb11d$1$25952$(E-Mail Removed)>, John of Aix
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> John of Aix wrote:
>
> Whoops, in French again.
>
> I was saying that PDF is for nutcases. A simple JPG, BMP, GIF or any
> other quasi-universal file will be perfectly OK

"Portable Document Format" files, a file format specifically and
intentionally designed to be capable of being read by freely available
(and free of charge) readers on virtually every graphics-screen capable
computer known to mankind, aren't "quasi-universal"?

OK.

::sigh:: There goes another illusion....

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard