Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Making a jpeg look better than it really is?

Making a jpeg look better than it really is?

Floyd L. Davidson

Richard DeLuca <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Another possibility is letting others have a crack at working on
>> them.
>>
>> If you can post them to a web site, or to a binary newsgroup,
>> and then post a message here indicating where they are, my guess
>> is that more than one or two people might download them and see
>> what they can do.

>That's a good suggestion. if some here would be so kind as to help, they
>would have my gratitude. Someone wanna suggest a binary group for me to
>post them on?

Okay, I played with them a little. They all got the same
treatment:

0 -- Converted to TIFF format
1 -- Scaled up to 1024x768 size
2 -- Adjusted contrast and brightness
3 -- Applied Unsharp Mask
4 -- Applied Sharpening

I have put both a TIFF and a JPG file of each on my web site,

http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson/mvc-003f.tif
http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson/mvc-003f.jpg
http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson/mvc-005f.tif
http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson/mvc-005f.jpg
http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson/mvc-006f.tif
http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson/mvc-006f.jpg
http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson/mvc-020f.tif
http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson/mvc-020f.jpg
http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson/mvc-025f.tif
http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson/mvc-025f.jpg
http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson/mvc-026f.tif
http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson/mvc-026f.jpg

Obviously they are not magically turned into wonderful examples
of photography, but they are better than the originals.

That said, be aware that it makes a *huge* difference how you
view the images. It might be that on your monitor, or printed
on your printer, all of these will look absolutely horrible!

ASAAR

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 01:50:12 GMT, Mike Russell wrote:

> Binary groups are slow and not available on all news servers. There are any
> number of free photo hosting sites - Flickr.com is among the best but there
> are others. You are also welcome to post it to the curvemeister discussion
> forum, where several people will give it a try.

I use dialup so I'm sensitive to the lack of speed. But only a
few 70kb to 80kb images wouldn't take much time to download or
upload even with a very slow modem. All that would be needed is a
binary group or two that is common to all participants. Your
suggestions may be more practical, though.

MarkČ

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> Richard DeLuca wrote:
>
>> I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young
>> and I never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are
>> a few jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the
>> more sad because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
>>
>> I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on
>> my MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask,
>> etc. I know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to
>> make them appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any
>> secrets or magic of which I'm not aware?

> I did some work with old web-resolution images off various people's
> computers for the memorial of a friend late last year. Ordinary
> "photo restoration" techniques can do quite well. Your odds for
> getting a decent 4x6 print, with work, are actually quite good.
>
> If they are decent but small jpegs, I'd play with some modest
> upsampling, maybe step-upsampling, and get the curves *just right*,
> and see what they'd print as.
>
>> I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
>> euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.

> I am amazingly emotional about the silly little beasts. They really
> get their hooks into my heart.

OK, Richard.
I've done some work on my favorite of the bunch and with a bit more
tweaking, I think this will make a very decent 5x7. It is crystal clear?
No, but the blocky nature of the original meant compromise. With a decent
presentation, I think it's a very nice shot.

Have a look here:
If you like it, I'll print it on archival paper with pigment inks, and mail
it to you free of charge.

If you don't like it... That's OK.

MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

MarkČ

Richard DeLuca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young
> and I never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a
> few jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the
> more sad because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
>
> I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
> MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc.
> I know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make
> them appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any
> secrets or magic of which I'm not aware?
>
> I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
> euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.
>
> Thanks for any help!

I've posted two images tweaked by David Dryer-Bennet, which can be viewed
with the rest here:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/richard_delucas_cat
-MarkČ
www.pbase.com/markuson

Joe Petolino

MarkČ wrote:
> OK, Richard.
> I've done some work on my favorite of the bunch and with a bit more
> tweaking, I think this will make a very decent 5x7.

Very nice!

Here are a couple of others:

http://www.pbase.com/petolino/image/73747615
http://www.pbase.com/petolino/image/73747625

-Joe

MarkČ

Richard DeLuca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young
> and I never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a
> few jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the
> more sad because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
>
> I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
> MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc.
> I know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make
> them appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any
> secrets or magic of which I'm not aware?
>
> I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
> euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.
>
> Thanks for any help!

Here's a little different approach...from R. Weir:
http://www.pbase.com/image/73748067/original
-MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

MarkČ

Richard DeLuca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young
> and I never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a
> few jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the
> more sad because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
>
> I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
> MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc.
> I know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make
> them appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any
> secrets or magic of which I'm not aware?
>
> I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
> euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.
>
> Thanks for any help!

OK. Here's a different approach, and I think I like it best.
It now appears as a water-color painting.
This deals nicely with the hopelessly blocky appearance as a standard
photo...

By the way... I printed my earlier submission at 5x7, and as
usual...printers are very unforgiving.
This one uses a style that makes that problem go away, and I think presents
a very nice little portrait.
See what you think:

www.pbase.com/markuson

Sudee

Richard DeLuca wrote:
> This delightful animal (Yum Yum was her name) was found along with four
> brothers and sisters and their mother one late winter day about five
> years ago...

> None of the kittens look alike, or like mom, if you can
> believe it...
>
> Yum Yum looks totally siamese and her brother is just a domestic
> shorthair tigercat...

Female cats (and other critters that have litters) drop multiple eggs
during estrus and it's possible for each egg to be fertilized by a
different male.

--
Sue

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might
as well dance.
Unknown

David Dyer-Bennet

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> If they are decent but small jpegs, I'd play with some modest
> upsampling, maybe step-upsampling, and get the curves *just right*, and
> see what they'd print as.

I sent in two, the first is at
<http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/73747198>. The second one,
especially, seems to have lost a whole lot of detail to the JPEG
algorithm. It may not enlarge very well.

Having looked at the photos, I ended up spending most of my time some of
the sharpness issues plus careful curves correction.

Simple upsampling with "bicubic sharper", or perhaps step upsampling
(say 10% per step, unsharp mask mildly after each step), should get you
up to a tolerable 5x7 still, at least on the first one.

Hope all of our contributions help you remember your fine beast!

Richard DeLuca

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Sudee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Richard DeLuca wrote:
> > This delightful animal (Yum Yum was her name) was found along with four
> > brothers and sisters and their mother one late winter day about five
> > years ago...

> > None of the kittens look alike, or like mom, if you can
> > believe it...
> >
> > Yum Yum looks totally siamese and her brother is just a domestic
> > shorthair tigercat...

> Female cats (and other critters that have litters) drop multiple eggs
> during estrus and it's possible for each egg to be fertilized by a
> different male.

Yup, that's what happened here, all right. Mom apparently had a busy
night. THe first thing I did was get her spayed. She is a sweet cat,
btw, and I managed to find her a good home. She's now an indoor
cat...