Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Making a jpeg look better than it really is?

Making a jpeg look better than it really is?

Mike Russell

From: "Richard DeLuca" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> In article <ovxvh.39759$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> "Mike Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)-MOVE> wrote:
>
> Mike,
>
> Thanks. I first tried to get to www.curvemeister.com/forum/
> on Safari- didn't work. Firefox works fine however. Do I post the
> images to "Got an interesting image?"

Ouch - I'll fire up the old G4 and see about this Safari problem. Meantime,
yes, post it to the interesting image section.
---
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Richard DeLuca

This delightful animal (Yum Yum was her name) was found along with four
brothers and sisters and their mother one late winter day about five
years ago. The kittens were about 12-14 weeks old at the time, really
wild, and living behind an abandoned property. I got mom spayed and
found homes for her and three of the kittens, keeping Yum Yum and one of
her brothers. None of the kittens look alike, or like mom, if you can
believe it. Our veterinarian at the time said that she couldn't believe
how feral they were, and that maybe they would never make good pets- she
couldn't have been more wrong. Yum Yum was the nicest animal I've ever
known.

Yum Yum looks totally siamese and her brother is just a domestic
shorthair tigercat. The two have been inseparable.

I first noticed on Christmas eve that Yum Yum wasn't eating well, which
was odd because she always had a good appetite. After several visits to
the veterinarian and a major veterinarian college, they discovered three
tumors in her chest, and we were forced to put her to sleep on New
Year's eve. I couldn't believe how rapidly she deteriorated in those
few days. Her brother was tested completely at the same time, and is
perfectly healthy. I'm grateful for that- I can't imagine losing them
both. And just in case anyone here thinks cats are dumb, let me tell
you that her brother is as lost as I am..........

I had just bought a decent digital camera a couple of months earlier,
and had even taken what I regard as some nice pictures of her brother- I
just hadn't been able to get to her yet. And once I discovered she was
sick, I couldn't think of pictures any more. The only photos I have are
a few I took of her as a kitten with a borrowed digital camera that
wasn't capable of real photos.

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)-state.edu>,
Richard DeLuca <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young and I
> never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a few
> jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the more sad
> because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
>
> I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
> MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc. I
> know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make them
> appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any secrets or
> magic of which I'm not aware?
>
> I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
> euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.
>
> Thanks for any help!

Richard DeLuca

In article <6bzvh.23655$(E-Mail Removed) >,
"Mike Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)-MOVE> wrote:

> From: "Richard DeLuca" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> > In article <ovxvh.39759$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> > "Mike Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)-MOVE> wrote:
> >
> > Mike,
> >
> > Thanks. I first tried to get to www.curvemeister.com/forum/
> > on Safari- didn't work. Firefox works fine however. Do I post the
> > images to "Got an interesting image?"

> Ouch - I'll fire up the old G4 and see about this Safari problem. Meantime,
> yes, post it to the interesting image section.
> ---
> Mike Russell
> www.curvemeister.com/forum/

I'll do that- thanks Mike!

MarkČ

Richard DeLuca wrote:
> In article <ajxvh.9413$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>

>> E-mail them to me, and let me post them for you.
>> Then perhaps others here could try a bit of work on them in
>> Photoshop. My e-mail works...provided that you assume the "lowest
>> even number" is 2.

> Thank you Mark,
>
> I'll send you three or four if you don't mind. I can't thank you
> enough.
>
> Best Regards,
> Rich

I got your pics, and will post them shortly.
You're right...that their resolution and clarity will pose some challenges,
but I think you could get some decent 5x7s out of some of these with a
little work.

Stand by for an URL...

www.pbase.com/markuson

MarkČ

MarkČ wrote:
> Richard DeLuca wrote:
>> In article <ajxvh.9413$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>>

>>> E-mail them to me, and let me post them for you.
>>> Then perhaps others here could try a bit of work on them in
>>> Photoshop. My e-mail works...provided that you assume the "lowest
>>> even number" is 2.

>> Thank you Mark,
>>
>> I'll send you three or four if you don't mind. I can't thank you
>> enough.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Rich

> I got your pics, and will post them shortly.
> You're right...that their resolution and clarity will pose some
> challenges, but I think you could get some decent 5x7s out of some of
> these with a little work.
>
> Stand by for an URL...

Here's the URL for your kitty images.
Anyone care to take a shot at these?
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/richard_delucas_cat

-MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

MarkČ

Rudy Benner wrote:
> "Richard DeLuca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)-state.edu...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young
>> and I never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are
>> a few jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the
>> more sad because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
>>
>> I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on
>> my MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask,
>> etc. I know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to
>> make them appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any
>> secrets or magic of which I'm not aware?
>>
>> I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
>> euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.
>>
>> Thanks for any help!

> I love cats too, I do not know why, they are so contrary.
>
> I would be happy to post them on my server, that way others can have
> a look for you.
>
> email me; rudy @ rudybenner dot com

They're already up here:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/richard_delucas_cat

The more the merrier...

www.pbase.com/markuson

MarkČ

Rudy Benner wrote:
> "Rudy Benner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Richard DeLuca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)-state.edu...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young
>>> and I never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are
>>> a few jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All
>>> the more sad because, although she was a stray, she was really
>>> gorgeous. I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic
>>> Converter on
>>> my MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask,
>>> etc. I know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way
>>> to make them appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them?
>>> Any secrets or magic of which I'm not aware?
>>>
>>> I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
>>> euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help!

>> I love cats too, I do not know why, they are so contrary.
>>
>> I would be happy to post them on my server, that way others can have
>> a look
>> for you.
>>
>> email me; rudy @ rudybenner dot com
>>

> http://rudybenner.com/utility/cat

Also here, on pbase:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/richard_delucas_cat
If anyone cares to try editing them, just e-mail your edits to me and I'll
post them to the above page.
-MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

MarkČ

Mike Russell wrote:
> From: "Richard DeLuca" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> In article <ovxvh.39759$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
>> "Mike Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)-MOVE> wrote:
>>
>> Mike,
>>
>> Thanks. I first tried to get to www.curvemeister.com/forum/
>> on Safari- didn't work. Firefox works fine however. Do I post the
>> images to "Got an interesting image?"

> Ouch - I'll fire up the old G4 and see about this Safari problem.
> Meantime, yes, post it to the interesting image section.
> ---
> Mike Russell
> www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Go here:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/richard_delucas_cat
I just put them up on my pbase account...

MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

Little Juice Coupe

If you would like to send me what you have, I can see what I can do for you.
You can send them to: twenty_bucks(at)hotmail(dot)com.

Please replace the (at) with @ and the (dot) with .

Thanks,

ljc

--
Do not assume that because I didn't reply to your comments that you are
correct or that I am wrong or that I am correct and your are wrong. You

"Richard DeLuca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-state.edu...
> Hi,
>
> I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young and I
> never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a few
> jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the more sad
> because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
>
> I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
> MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc. I
> know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make them
> appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any secrets or
> magic of which I'm not aware?
>
> I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
> euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.
>
> Thanks for any help!

David Dyer-Bennet

Richard DeLuca wrote:

> I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young and I
> never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a few
> jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the more sad
> because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
>
> I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
> MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc. I
> know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make them
> appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any secrets or
> magic of which I'm not aware?

I did some work with old web-resolution images off various people's
computers for the memorial of a friend late last year. Ordinary "photo
restoration" techniques can do quite well. Your odds for getting a
decent 4x6 print, with work, are actually quite good.

If they are decent but small jpegs, I'd play with some modest
upsampling, maybe step-upsampling, and get the curves *just right*, and
see what they'd print as.

> I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
> euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.

I am amazingly emotional about the silly little beasts. They really get
their hooks into my heart.