Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Making a jpeg look better than it really is?

Making a jpeg look better than it really is?

Richard DeLuca

Hi,

I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young and I
never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a few
jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the more sad
because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.

I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc. I
know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make them
appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any secrets or
magic of which I'm not aware?

I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.

Thanks for any help!

Floyd L. Davidson

Richard DeLuca <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young and I
>never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a few
>jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the more sad
>because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
>
>I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
>MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc. I
>know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make them
>appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any secrets or
>magic of which I'm not aware?

Another possibility is letting others have a crack at working on
them.

If you can post them to a web site, or to a binary newsgroup,
and then post a message here indicating where they are, my guess
is that more than one or two people might download them and see
what they can do.

MarkČ

Richard DeLuca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young
> and I never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a
> few jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the
> more sad because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
>
> I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
> MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc.
> I know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make
> them appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any
> secrets or magic of which I'm not aware?
>
> I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
> euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.
>
> Thanks for any help!

E-mail them to me, and let me post them for you.
Then perhaps others here could try a bit of work on them in Photoshop.
My e-mail works...provided that you assume the "lowest even number" is 2.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Richard DeLuca

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

> Richard DeLuca <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young and I
> >never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a few
> >jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the more sad
> >because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
> >
> >I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
> >MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc. I
> >know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make them
> >appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any secrets or
> >magic of which I'm not aware?

> Another possibility is letting others have a crack at working on
> them.
>
> If you can post them to a web site, or to a binary newsgroup,
> and then post a message here indicating where they are, my guess
> is that more than one or two people might download them and see
> what they can do.

That's a good suggestion. if some here would be so kind as to help, they
would have my gratitude. Someone wanna suggest a binary group for me to
post them on?

Mike Russell

"Richard DeLuca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-state.edu...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:
>
>> Richard DeLuca <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young and I
>> >never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a few
>> >jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the more sad
>> >because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
>> >
>> >I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
>> >MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc. I
>> >know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make them
>> >appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any secrets or
>> >magic of which I'm not aware?

>> Another possibility is letting others have a crack at working on
>> them.
>>
>> If you can post them to a web site, or to a binary newsgroup,
>> and then post a message here indicating where they are, my guess
>> is that more than one or two people might download them and see
>> what they can do.

> That's a good suggestion. if some here would be so kind as to help, they
> would have my gratitude. Someone wanna suggest a binary group for me to
> post them on?

Binary groups are slow and not available on all news servers. There are any
number of free photo hosting sites - Flickr.com is among the best but there
are others. You are also welcome to post it to the curvemeister discussion
forum, where several people will give it a try.
--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Rudy Benner

"Richard DeLuca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-state.edu...
> Hi,
>
> I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young and I
> never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a few
> jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the more sad
> because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
>
> I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
> MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc. I
> know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make them
> appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any secrets or
> magic of which I'm not aware?
>
> I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
> euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.
>
> Thanks for any help!

I love cats too, I do not know why, they are so contrary.

I would be happy to post them on my server, that way others can have a look
for you.

email me; rudy @ rudybenner dot com

Richard DeLuca

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Rudy Benner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Thanks Rudy,

I'll drop you a line.

> I love cats too, I do not know why, they are so contrary.
>
> I would be happy to post them on my server, that way others can have a look
> for you.
>
> email me; rudy @ rudybenner dot com

Richard DeLuca

In article <ajxvh.9413$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> E-mail them to me, and let me post them for you.
> Then perhaps others here could try a bit of work on them in Photoshop.
> My e-mail works...provided that you assume the "lowest even number" is 2.

Thank you Mark,

I'll send you three or four if you don't mind. I can't thank you enough.

Best Regards,
Rich

Richard DeLuca

In article <ovxvh.39759$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
"Mike Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)-MOVE> wrote:

Mike,

Thanks. I first tried to get to www.curvemeister.com/forum/
on Safari- didn't work. Firefox works fine however. Do I post the
images to "Got an interesting image?"

Best Regards,
Rich

> Binary groups are slow and not available on all news servers. There are any
> number of free photo hosting sites - Flickr.com is among the best but there
> are others. You are also welcome to post it to the curvemeister discussion
> forum, where several people will give it a try.

Rudy Benner

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

http://rudybenner.com/utility/cat