Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can high mAh NiMH's damage older cameras?

Can high mAh NiMH's damage older cameras?

Paul D. Sullivan

> The "mAh" rating only determines the capacity of the cell -
> that is, how long it will perform reliably, on a full charge -
> not its voltage or amperage. Therefore, your camera can't be
> harmed...yet, you still need to be careful to use the correct
> charger, to avoid damaging it, or the batteries (or both,
> possibly).

Thanks much. It's good to know that there is no voltage
variation at all, and that only the capacity changes. I was sort
of concerned that all that power might flow at a higher rate that
the camera was not designed for.

I'm glad I have had it cleared up for me. Now I have no worries
about changing over from the 1700mAh to 2500 or 2700, etc.

Ron Hunter

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
>> The "mAh" rating only determines the capacity of the cell -
>> that is, how long it will perform reliably, on a full charge -
>> not its voltage or amperage. Therefore, your camera can't be
>> harmed...yet, you still need to be careful to use the correct
>> charger, to avoid damaging it, or the batteries (or both,
>> possibly).

> Thanks much. It's good to know that there is no voltage
> variation at all, and that only the capacity changes. I was sort
> of concerned that all that power might flow at a higher rate that
> the camera was not designed for.
>
> I'm glad I have had it cleared up for me. Now I have no worries
> about changing over from the 1700mAh to 2500 or 2700, etc.

Just think of it as putting a larger gas tank on your truck. Same gas,
same price, same octane, larger container.

ASAAR

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 02:41:31 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

>> I'm glad I have had it cleared up for me. Now I have no worries
>> about changing over from the 1700mAh to 2500 or 2700, etc.
>>

> Just think of it as putting a larger gas tank on your truck. Same gas,
> same price, same octane, larger container.

Nah. Different gas, same price, same octane, same container.
Stanley F. Contadina, one of Exxon's most talented engineers, while
on assignment to their marketing department simply figured out an
unanticipated method that used higher compression to squeeze eight
great gallons into that little bitty four gallon can.

Ron Hunter

ASAAR wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 02:41:31 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>>> I'm glad I have had it cleared up for me. Now I have no worries
>>> about changing over from the 1700mAh to 2500 or 2700, etc.
>>>

>> Just think of it as putting a larger gas tank on your truck. Same gas,
>> same price, same octane, larger container.

> Nah. Different gas, same price, same octane, same container.
> Stanley F. Contadina, one of Exxon's most talented engineers, while
> on assignment to their marketing department simply figured out an
> unanticipated method that used higher compression to squeeze eight
> great gallons into that little bitty four gallon can.

Yeah, but he used JPEG compression, and lost some data. GRIN.

J.F. Cornwall

John Turco wrote:
> "Paul D. Sullivan" wrote:
>> My Oly C5050 came with 1700mAh batteries, so I have just used
>> that level and not changed.
>>
>> But I'm kind of curious. I see 2700mAh NiMH batteries out there
>> and wondering - If I purchase those and use them in the C5050,
>> could the fact that they are so much more in terms of mAh mean
>> that it might damage the electronics in the camera?
>>
>> Is it just safe and better for the camera to use the 1700mAh it
>> was designed for? Or are 2700mAh batteries perfectly safe and ok
>> to use?
>>
>> Thanks

> Hello, Paul:
>
> The "mAh" rating only determines the capacity of the cell - that is,
> how long it will perform reliably, on a full charge - not its voltage
> or amperage. Therefore, your camera can't be harmed...yet, you still
> need to be careful to use the correct charger, to avoid damaging it,
> or the batteries (or both, possibly).

Interestingly enough, when I got my K100D on XMas morning, I put a set
of fully charged GE AAs I have used with my previous cameras for the
past 6 yrs or so, and it would not even power up. Did fine with your
basic Energizer disposables (went thru them pretty quickly though) until
I picked up the new Eneloops. The GE batteries still work fine and last
a decent time in the old Canon A80, they just don't have enough 'oomph'
for the K100D.

Jim

ASAAR

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:15:51 -0600, Ron Hunter wrote:

>> Nah. Different gas, same price, same octane, same container.
>> Stanley F. Contadina, one of Exxon's most talented engineers, while
>> on assignment to their marketing department simply figured out an
>> unanticipated method that used higher compression to squeeze eight
>> great gallons into that little bitty four gallon can.

> Yeah, but he used JPEG compression, and lost some data. GRIN.

There ya have it - that's why gasoline now needs additives, to
eliminate line clogging artifacts introduced by fractious fractions,
compression and cracking!

Ron Hunter

J.F. Cornwall wrote:
> John Turco wrote:
>> "Paul D. Sullivan" wrote:
>>> My Oly C5050 came with 1700mAh batteries, so I have just used
>>> that level and not changed.
>>>
>>> But I'm kind of curious. I see 2700mAh NiMH batteries out there
>>> and wondering - If I purchase those and use them in the C5050,
>>> could the fact that they are so much more in terms of mAh mean
>>> that it might damage the electronics in the camera?
>>>
>>> Is it just safe and better for the camera to use the 1700mAh it
>>> was designed for? Or are 2700mAh batteries perfectly safe and ok
>>> to use?
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> Hello, Paul:
>>
>> The "mAh" rating only determines the capacity of the cell - that is,
>> how long it will perform reliably, on a full charge - not its voltage
>> or amperage. Therefore, your camera can't be harmed...yet, you still
>> need to be careful to use the correct charger, to avoid damaging it,
>> or the batteries (or both, possibly).
>>

> Interestingly enough, when I got my K100D on XMas morning, I put a set
> of fully charged GE AAs I have used with my previous cameras for the
> past 6 yrs or so, and it would not even power up. Did fine with your
> basic Energizer disposables (went thru them pretty quickly though) until
> I picked up the new Eneloops. The GE batteries still work fine and last
> a decent time in the old Canon A80, they just don't have enough 'oomph'
> for the K100D.
>
> Jim

I rather suspect that your 6 year old batteries have deteriorated to the
point where they no longer provide adequate voltage to satisfy your new
camera's minimum operating voltage. Give them a reverent disposal as
they have served valiantly.

J. F. Cornwall

Ron Hunter wrote:

> J.F. Cornwall wrote:
>
>> John Turco wrote:

>>> Hello, Paul:
>>>
>>> The "mAh" rating only determines the capacity of the cell - that is,
>>> how long it will perform reliably, on a full charge - not its voltage
>>> or amperage. Therefore, your camera can't be harmed...yet, you still
>>> need to be careful to use the correct charger, to avoid damaging it,
>>> or the batteries (or both, possibly).
>>>

>> Interestingly enough, when I got my K100D on XMas morning, I put a set
>> of fully charged GE AAs I have used with my previous cameras for the
>> past 6 yrs or so, and it would not even power up. Did fine with your
>> basic Energizer disposables (went thru them pretty quickly though)
>> until I picked up the new Eneloops. The GE batteries still work fine
>> and last a decent time in the old Canon A80, they just don't have
>> enough 'oomph' for the K100D.
>>
>> Jim

> I rather suspect that your 6 year old batteries have deteriorated to the
> point where they no longer provide adequate voltage to satisfy your new
> camera's minimum operating voltage. Give them a reverent disposal as
> they have served valiantly.

Well, yes, but they still work just fine in the A80 (which I still carry
around in the car just in case...), and well, basically I'm cheap

Jim

John Turco

ASAAR wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:46:02 -0500, SimonLW wrote:

<heavily edited, for brevity>

> > There is not much that is a good deal at Radio Shack unless it is
> > on sale. It's no wonder they've been closing stores.

> They've locked themselves into many bad policies, one being that
> local stores must follow company dictates even when they hurt the
> "brand".

<edited>

Hello, ASAAR:

Personally, I rarely visit Radio Shack. It's never been among the more
affordable outlets, on most merchandise.

RS is the best place to go, if a minor electronic doodad or adapter is
needed, in a hurry. The store >does< have the widest variety of such
simple items, of any national (and international?) chain; it's not much
good, for anything else, in my opinion.

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

"J.F. Cornwall" wrote:

<heavily edited, for brevity>

> Interestingly enough, when I got my K100D on XMas morning, I put a set
> of fully charged GE AAs I have used with my previous cameras for the
> past 6 yrs or so, and it would not even power up. Did fine with your
> basic Energizer disposables (went thru them pretty quickly though) until
> I picked up the new Eneloops. The GE batteries still work fine and last
> a decent time in the old Canon A80, they just don't have enough 'oomph'
> for the K100D.
>
> Jim

Hello, Jim:

Something similar happened to me, last year. I'd put some Rayovac
"Maximum" alkaline AA cells, into a couple of my Kodak digicams, and
neither device would even turn on!

They were new batteries, from one of the many 6-packs that had been
closed out ($1 USD, apiece), at a local "Big Lots" store. I've had
longevity issues with these various batches, in other devices,
also -- which is pretty puzzling, as their listed expiration date
("DEC 2008") leads me to believe they shouldn't be lacking in shelf
life.

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Can anybody plz help me outof this problem in mah code contact2rr Java 0 11-17-2011 06:31 AM
OT: Respect Mah AuthoriTah MCSE 16 06-02-2006 07:58 PM
Which brand/size mah batteries? whyme@nowhere.com Digital Photography 7 06-13-2004 03:34 PM
Newbie battery question: EN-MH1 vs. mAh NIMH Bryan Digital Photography 2 12-13-2003 08:24 AM
AA Powerex 1800 mAH Batteries (4) and MAHA MH-C204F charger Coneill Digital Photography 1 08-20-2003 03:58 AM

Advertisments