Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can high mAh NiMH's damage older cameras?

Can high mAh NiMH's damage older cameras?

David Dyer-Bennet

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:

> I was worried that the 2700mAh would maybe put out a slightly
> higher voltage or something. But I guess all the mAh rating
> means is the charge capacity, not the voltages, eh?

Yep. mAh -- milliamp-hours. Not volts, amps.

Paul D. Sullivan

> I have the MH-401FS for myself, and I've gifted same to others
> - we're all happy with them. Maha makes other models, and I
> complaints are scarce as a hen's tooth. Thomas Distributing
> is a good source on the internet.

Thanks - I will give that model a look.

SimonLW

"ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 00:54:30 GMT, Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
>
>> My Oly C5050 came with 1700mAh batteries, so I have just used
>> that level and not changed.
>>
>> But I'm kind of curious. I see 2700mAh NiMH batteries out there
>> and wondering - If I purchase those and use them in the C5050,
>> could the fact that they are so much more in terms of mAh mean
>> that it might damage the electronics in the camera?
>>
>> Is it just safe and better for the camera to use the 1700mAh it
>> was designed for? Or are 2700mAh batteries perfectly safe and ok
>> to use?

> It's the voltage, not the capacity (mAh) that can cause problems
> for cameras. I don't know if alkaline batteries were allowed or
> prohibited by Olympus for the C5050, but most cameras that are
> designed for AA cells can take alkalines. When fresh, they provide
> about 1.5 volts per cell, which is several tenths of a volt higher
> than freshly charged NiCD and NiMH cells. Many can also use
> non-rechargeable lithium AA cell which provide a slightly higher
> voltage, about 1.6v. But some manufacturers prohibit the use of
> lithium cells in certain models, so if in doubt you'd have to check
> the manual or with the manufacturer's tech support.
>
> High capacity batteries are usually better, especially for older
> cameras that require so much current that they don't get too many
> shots per charge. But newer cameras get so many shots per charge
> that price becomes more important than capacity. If I have a choice
> between getting four 2,350 mAh NiMH cells for $10, that in my camera
> will allow (depending on conditions) up to 1,200 shots to be taken,
> or four 2,800 mAh NiMH cells for $16, that might allow about 1400
> shots, I'd get the 2,350 mAh batteries. They're significantly
> cheaper, and in a full day's shooting, either type would be able to
> take far more pictures than I'd ever shoot. The C5050 probably
> won't take nearly as many pictures per charge, so in this case the
> higher capacity batteries might be a better choice.
>
> There's another type of NiMH battery to consider. They only have
> capacities of about 2,000 mAh, but can retain most of their charge
> for well over a year, so depending on how the camera is used, they
> may be a much better choice for some photographers. They're more
> expensive than regular NiMH cells, ranging from about 40% more
> (Sanyo's "Eneloops") to 50% more (RayOVac's "Hybrids", which are
> advertised as having 2,100 mAh capacity) to 100% more (Radio Shack's
> "Precharged Rechargeables"). They all come precharged, by the way.

Rayovac "Hybrid" low self discharge batteries actually cost less. At
Wal-Mart, they cost under $9 for a 4 pack off AAs while the regular NiMh
packs cost around $10. I suppose Rayovac's marketing assumes (smartly) that
the average consumer can't see beyond the lower mAh rating (just like they
can't see much beyond digital camera megapixel numbers) and set the lower
price point. They are NOT a good deal if you recharge every two or three
weeks. They are a godsend if you go longer.

There is not much that is a good deal at Radio Shack unless it is on sale.
It's no wonder they've been closing stores.
-S

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jan 29, 6:54 pm, "Paul D. Sullivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My Oly C5050 came with 1700mAh batteries, so I have just used
> that level and not changed.
>
> But I'm kind of curious. I see 2700mAh NiMH batteries out there
> and wondering - If I purchase those and use them in the C5050,
> could the fact that they are so much more in terms of mAh mean
> that it might damage the electronics in the camera?
>
> Is it just safe and better for the camera to use the 1700mAh it
> was designed for? Or are 2700mAh batteries perfectly safe and ok
> to use?
>
> Thanks

The only way it can harm it is if there is a bad short. Since it has
more energy the higher capacity battery will result in a more violent
fire! Of course, with that kind of short the camera would be
destroyed with ANY decent battery

Dave Cohen

ASAAR wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 00:54:30 GMT, Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
>
>> My Oly C5050 came with 1700mAh batteries, so I have just used
>> that level and not changed.
>>
>> But I'm kind of curious. I see 2700mAh NiMH batteries out there
>> and wondering - If I purchase those and use them in the C5050,
>> could the fact that they are so much more in terms of mAh mean
>> that it might damage the electronics in the camera?
>>
>> Is it just safe and better for the camera to use the 1700mAh it
>> was designed for? Or are 2700mAh batteries perfectly safe and ok
>> to use?

> It's the voltage, not the capacity (mAh) that can cause problems
> for cameras. I don't know if alkaline batteries were allowed or
> prohibited by Olympus for the C5050, but most cameras that are
> designed for AA cells can take alkalines. When fresh, they provide
> about 1.5 volts per cell, which is several tenths of a volt higher
> than freshly charged NiCD and NiMH cells. Many can also use
> non-rechargeable lithium AA cell which provide a slightly higher
> voltage, about 1.6v. But some manufacturers prohibit the use of
> lithium cells in certain models, so if in doubt you'd have to check
> the manual or with the manufacturer's tech support.
>
> High capacity batteries are usually better, especially for older
> cameras that require so much current that they don't get too many
> shots per charge. But newer cameras get so many shots per charge
> that price becomes more important than capacity. If I have a choice
> between getting four 2,350 mAh NiMH cells for $10, that in my camera
> will allow (depending on conditions) up to 1,200 shots to be taken,
> or four 2,800 mAh NiMH cells for $16, that might allow about 1400
> shots, I'd get the 2,350 mAh batteries. They're significantly
> cheaper, and in a full day's shooting, either type would be able to
> take far more pictures than I'd ever shoot. The C5050 probably
> won't take nearly as many pictures per charge, so in this case the
> higher capacity batteries might be a better choice.
>
> There's another type of NiMH battery to consider. They only have
> capacities of about 2,000 mAh, but can retain most of their charge
> for well over a year, so depending on how the camera is used, they
> may be a much better choice for some photographers. They're more
> expensive than regular NiMH cells, ranging from about 40% more
> (Sanyo's "Eneloops") to 50% more (RayOVac's "Hybrids", which are
> advertised as having 2,100 mAh capacity) to 100% more (Radio Shack's
> "Precharged Rechargeables"). They all come precharged, by the way.

I paid $12 for a set of eneloop back in mid September at Ritz.
Walmart sell 4 hybrids for less than $10, but they are rated to hold 85%
charge for over 3 months whereas eneloop state same for 1 year.
Be careful on-line, I've seen ridiculous price quotes plus postage. By
the way, those eneloops are really good, they've only been in my charger
once, charged at 652 shots!!
Dave Cohen

David Dyer-Bennet

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
>> I have the MH-401FS for myself, and I've gifted same to others
>> - we're all happy with them. Maha makes other models, and I
>> complaints are scarce as a hen's tooth. Thomas Distributing
>> is a good source on the internet.

> Thanks - I will give that model a look.

I did have one die on my (LEDS don't light at all). But I immediately
ordered another. I think it's a good charger in the 4-battery size.

Has slow and fast charge, 4 individual charge circuits, and special
circuitry to overcome battery memory. Goes to trickle charge when done.

Don't close the lid when it's first charging, though; you want the heat
to *escape*!

J. F. Cornwall

Dave Cohen wrote:
> ASAAR wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 00:54:30 GMT, Paul D. Sullivan wrote:

(snip)

> I paid $12 for a set of eneloop back in mid September at Ritz.
> Walmart sell 4 hybrids for less than $10, but they are rated to hold 85%
> charge for over 3 months whereas eneloop state same for 1 year.
> Be careful on-line, I've seen ridiculous price quotes plus postage. By
> the way, those eneloops are really good, they've only been in my charger
> once, charged at 652 shots!!
> Dave Cohen

I paid $30 at Circuit City (store, not online) for a 4-pack with
charger, and the same for another 8-pack of Eneloop AAs. So far I've
shot several hundred photos and haven't had to recharge them yet...

Used in new K100D, mostly without flash.

Jim

ASAAR

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:46:02 -0500, SimonLW wrote:

> Rayovac "Hybrid" low self discharge batteries actually cost less. At
> Wal-Mart, they cost under $9 for a 4 pack off AAs while the regular NiMh
> packs cost around $10. I suppose Rayovac's marketing assumes (smartly) that
> the average consumer can't see beyond the lower mAh rating (just like they
> can't see much beyond digital camera megapixel numbers) and set the lower
> price point. They are NOT a good deal if you recharge every two or three
> weeks. They are a godsend if you go longer.

Since the Hybrids are more expensive than most standard "name
brand" NiMH cells, at least in the stores I've seen, that's probably
due less to RayOVac's marketing than to Wal-Mart's ability to
bludgeon their accounts down to the lowest possible price. They
present a good deal, but for some (such as me) Wal-Mart can't be
gotten to conveniently. The only time I've been in one of their
stores was about 5 years ago and 900 miles away. It's unfortunate
that most people don't realize that no one type of battery is best
for everyone or purpose, as we do, but the information they'd need
to understand how to select the most appropriate batteries for their
purposes isn't readily available, and if they ask for advice from
sales people . . .

> There is not much that is a good deal at Radio Shack unless it is
> on sale. It's no wonder they've been closing stores.

They've locked themselves into many bad policies, one being that
local stores must follow company dictates even when they hurt the
"brand". One example is that when models are discontinued, remnants
are often put on sale, "as is", for a price that would be reasonable
for items in good condition with all components included. One store
had what was once a very nice portable radio that originally sold
for multiples of its $60 yellow tag price. But this particular item
had been destroyed. It was missing its antenna, battery cover,
case, power supply, external antenna, box and manual as well as its
critically important large LCD display. I can't see that it had any
remaining salvageable parts worth more than $5 or so. Maybe its
volume control or tuning knobs. Yet this skeleton of a radio sat on
display for over a year and the store, at least from what they
claimed, weren't allowed to lower the clearance price set by
headquarters.

Another counterproductive bean counter rule they have is that once
a model is discontinued, all formerly available spare parts and
accessories immediately vanish even when the model is still in
production. But because of slight design changes, such as changing
the color of a radio's plastic case and replacing the manufacturer's
name and model number with Radio Shack's own, few customers would be
aware that they could get whatever they need from the actual
manufacturers, such as Sangean, Eton (Grundig) and others, where
spare parts will still be available for years, even after the models
are out of production. I realize that RS can't keep spare parts for
many of the items that they (prematurely) discontinue on hand
forever, but they seemingly discard what stock they do have
virtually on the day that they remove the items from their catalog.
In other words, they really make themselves the worst possible
source for almost any product that they re-badge.

ASAAR

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:05:26 GMT, Dave Cohen wrote:

> I paid $12 for a set of eneloop back in mid September at Ritz.
> Walmart sell 4 hybrids for less than $10, but they are rated to hold 85%
> charge for over 3 months whereas eneloop state same for 1 year.
> Be careful on-line, I've seen ridiculous price quotes plus postage. By
> the way, those eneloops are really good, they've only been in my charger
> once, charged at 652 shots!!

I'd guess that the Hybrids are no different than the Eneloops,
otherwise RayOVac wouldn't be able to sell them precharged. For
that purpose they need to be able to hold most of their charge for
well over a year. I agree about the Eneloops. I've got a set in a
radio that I'm listening to now, and they're still almost fully
charged. I put them in the radio last September and they have yet
to be recharged. From past experience, standard NiMH cells would
have been nearly dead by now.

Where did you see that the Hybrids are rated to hold 85% of their
charge after 3 months? In RayOVac literature, an article or
someone's review? I don't see any retention rates listed on the
packaging nor on RayOVac's website. The only thing mentioned is 4x
longer life, that they'd provide as much service as 1,500 alkalines,
and that they can be charged 500 times or more.

FWIW, last night I put a set of 4 AAA Eneloops in my PDA and the
battery gauge app. (set to NiMH, of course) indicated that 91% of
the charge remained. Since I also have an unopened set of Hybrids,
I just put them in the PDA and got an 89% reading. Both sets were
purchased from on the same day from Circuit City last year. As that
was nearly 4 months ago, if there's any difference in their self
discharge rates it must be very small.

John Turco

"Paul D. Sullivan" wrote:

> My Oly C5050 came with 1700mAh batteries, so I have just used
> that level and not changed.
>
> But I'm kind of curious. I see 2700mAh NiMH batteries out there
> and wondering - If I purchase those and use them in the C5050,
> could the fact that they are so much more in terms of mAh mean
> that it might damage the electronics in the camera?
>
> Is it just safe and better for the camera to use the 1700mAh it
> was designed for? Or are 2700mAh batteries perfectly safe and ok
> to use?
>
> Thanks

Hello, Paul:

The "mAh" rating only determines the capacity of the cell - that is,
how long it will perform reliably, on a full charge - not its voltage
or amperage. Therefore, your camera can't be harmed...yet, you still
need to be careful to use the correct charger, to avoid damaging it,
or the batteries (or both, possibly).

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Can anybody plz help me outof this problem in mah code contact2rr Java 0 11-17-2011 06:31 AM
OT: Respect Mah AuthoriTah MCSE 16 06-02-2006 07:58 PM
Which brand/size mah batteries? whyme@nowhere.com Digital Photography 7 06-13-2004 03:34 PM
Newbie battery question: EN-MH1 vs. mAh NIMH Bryan Digital Photography 2 12-13-2003 08:24 AM
AA Powerex 1800 mAH Batteries (4) and MAHA MH-C204F charger Coneill Digital Photography 1 08-20-2003 03:58 AM

Advertisments