Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > jpg deliberately degraded

jpg deliberately degraded

lplook@hotmail.com

Greet to group,
I have just heard that jpg is made degraded by US government.
Deliberate! You do not get 100% of photograph. This is like the
selective availability of GPS by America Government. This is big shock
to me. From now I will use png and say no to Mr Bush playing with my
picture
Laszlo

Daniel Silevitch

On 29 Jan 2007 08:35:13 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Greet to group,
> I have just heard that jpg is made degraded by US government.
> Deliberate! You do not get 100% of photograph. This is like the
> selective availability of GPS by America Government. This is big shock
> to me. From now I will use png and say no to Mr Bush playing with my
> picture
> Laszlo

_Please_ tell me this is a joke. I'm hardly a fan of GWB, but claiming
that his administration "deliberately degraded" jpeg images is asinine
to the extreme, about one step removed from claiming that the government
faked the mmon landings with the help of alien technology stored at Area
51.

For starters, the JPG specification predates GWB's administration by
almost a decade.

-dms

Roy G

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Greet to group,
> I have just heard that jpg is made degraded by US government.
> Deliberate! You do not get 100% of photograph. This is like the
> selective availability of GPS by America Government. This is big shock
> to me. From now I will use png and say no to Mr Bush playing with my
> picture
> Laszlo

Yes.

You had also better continue wearing your foil Beanie, otherwise the TV News
Presenters will be able to read your mind.

Roy G

Jim Townsend

Daniel Silevitch wrote:

> On 29 Jan 2007 08:35:13 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Greet to group,
>> I have just heard that jpg is made degraded by US government.
>> Deliberate! You do not get 100% of photograph. This is like the
>> selective availability of GPS by America Government. This is big shock
>> to me. From now I will use png and say no to Mr Bush playing with my
>> picture
>> Laszlo

> _Please_ tell me this is a joke.

It's more of a troll.

JPEG was developed and is maintained by the Joint Photographic Experts Group.
The name came from the initials.

Back in the days when there was no broadband and people used 300 baud modems
compressing graphics was an absolute necessity.

http://www.jpeg.org/

Dennis Pogson

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Greet to group,
> I have just heard that jpg is made degraded by US government.
> Deliberate! You do not get 100% of photograph. This is like the
> selective availability of GPS by America Government. This is big shock
> to me. From now I will use png and say no to Mr Bush playing with my
> picture
> Laszlo

So glad I switched to jpeg2000 then!

DP

Steve Koterski

That is a correct. It is a result of the War on Terror.

Shortly after the attack on the WTC on Septrember 11, 2001, the
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) identified JPG and JPEG images
as a resource of great national strategic value. As such, they require
regulation by and oversight of the US Government.

Regulations were composed and implemented to enable this oversight.
All devices capable of recording images (such as digital cameras) are
required to automatically transmit the images to the Library of
Strategic Images (LSI), which is overseen by the National Security
Agency (NSA). Previously manufactured devices were retroactively
modified through remote means to comply with these regulations. After
arriving at the LSI, the images are transmitted back to the user's
device (these being the copies of the images you see).

Similarly, computer software that creates JPG images transmit the
images to the LSI via the Internet. After being transmitted to the LSI
and cataloged, they are transmitted back to the sending machine
(identified by the UUID of the host system).

The LSI maintains copies of every JPG image ever created—past,
present, and future. The LSI has an enormous staff that is tasked with
reviewing and evaluating each new JPG picture taken, anywhere in the
world. In addition to the visual content, other data is maintain for
each image, including: author/photographer, make and model of camera,
date and time the image was taken, exposure readings, and white
balance settings.

There have been rumors of some of these JPG images being degraded.
Subsequent research and information gained through the Freedom of
Information Act (FoIA) have revealed that this occurs only with people
currently under investigation for connections with terror
organizations, organized crime, and gross nutrition offenses.
Apparently, when someone is under investigation, the images are
diverted to any additional (top secret) location between the device
and the LSI. This extra diversion results in the degragation where the
person taking the picture does not get 100% of the picture. Typically,
though, only 10% of the picture is lost in this process (known as the
Brown-Curley CYMK 300 Bifurcation Process).

The US Government does make available forms with which you can request
return of the lost 10% of the images. These forms are also available
via the Internet.

On 29 Jan 2007 08:35:13 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Greet to group,
>I have just heard that jpg is made degraded by US government.
>Deliberate! You do not get 100% of photograph. This is like the
>selective availability of GPS by America Government. This is big shock
>to me. From now I will use png and say no to Mr Bush playing with my
>picture
>Laszlo

John Ortt

"Steve Koterski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That is a correct. It is a result of the War on Terror.
>
> Shortly after the attack on the WTC on Septrember 11, 2001, the
> Department of Homeland Security (DHS) identified JPG and JPEG images
> as a resource of great national strategic value. As such, they require
> regulation by and oversight of the US Government.
>
> Regulations were composed and implemented to enable this oversight.
> All devices capable of recording images (such as digital cameras) are
> required to automatically transmit the images to the Library of
> Strategic Images (LSI), which is overseen by the National Security
> Agency (NSA). Previously manufactured devices were retroactively
> modified through remote means to comply with these regulations. After
> arriving at the LSI, the images are transmitted back to the user's
> device (these being the copies of the images you see).
>
> Similarly, computer software that creates JPG images transmit the
> images to the LSI via the Internet. After being transmitted to the LSI
> and cataloged, they are transmitted back to the sending machine
> (identified by the UUID of the host system).
>
> The LSI maintains copies of every JPG image ever created-past,
> present, and future. The LSI has an enormous staff that is tasked with
> reviewing and evaluating each new JPG picture taken, anywhere in the
> world. In addition to the visual content, other data is maintain for
> each image, including: author/photographer, make and model of camera,
> date and time the image was taken, exposure readings, and white
> balance settings.
>
> There have been rumors of some of these JPG images being degraded.
> Subsequent research and information gained through the Freedom of
> Information Act (FoIA) have revealed that this occurs only with people
> currently under investigation for connections with terror
> organizations, organized crime, and gross nutrition offenses.
> Apparently, when someone is under investigation, the images are
> diverted to any additional (top secret) location between the device
> and the LSI. This extra diversion results in the degragation where the
> person taking the picture does not get 100% of the picture. Typically,
> though, only 10% of the picture is lost in this process (known as the
> Brown-Curley CYMK 300 Bifurcation Process).
>
> The US Government does make available forms with which you can request
> return of the lost 10% of the images. These forms are also available
> via the Internet.

Glad that's all cleared up : )

Ken Lucke

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Greet to group,
> I have just heard that jpg is made degraded by US government.
> Deliberate! You do not get 100% of photograph. This is like the
> selective availability of GPS by America Government. This is big shock
> to me. From now I will use png and say no to Mr Bush playing with my
> picture
> Laszlo

Gawd. Is ANYONE going to be stupid enough to fall for this troll?

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

Cgiorgio

LOL, It really looks like some people did not even get 10 % of the picture.

"Steve Koterski" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That is a correct. It is a result of the War on Terror.
>
> Shortly after the attack on the WTC on Septrember 11, 2001, the
> Department of Homeland Security (DHS) identified JPG and JPEG images
> as a resource of great national strategic value. As such, they require
> regulation by and oversight of the US Government.
>
> Regulations were composed and implemented to enable this oversight.
> All devices capable of recording images (such as digital cameras) are
> required to automatically transmit the images to the Library of
> Strategic Images (LSI), which is overseen by the National Security
> Agency (NSA). Previously manufactured devices were retroactively
> modified through remote means to comply with these regulations. After
> arriving at the LSI, the images are transmitted back to the user's
> device (these being the copies of the images you see).
>
> Similarly, computer software that creates JPG images transmit the
> images to the LSI via the Internet. After being transmitted to the LSI
> and cataloged, they are transmitted back to the sending machine
> (identified by the UUID of the host system).
>
> The LSI maintains copies of every JPG image ever created-past,
> present, and future. The LSI has an enormous staff that is tasked with
> reviewing and evaluating each new JPG picture taken, anywhere in the
> world. In addition to the visual content, other data is maintain for
> each image, including: author/photographer, make and model of camera,
> date and time the image was taken, exposure readings, and white
> balance settings.
>
> There have been rumors of some of these JPG images being degraded.
> Subsequent research and information gained through the Freedom of
> Information Act (FoIA) have revealed that this occurs only with people
> currently under investigation for connections with terror
> organizations, organized crime, and gross nutrition offenses.
> Apparently, when someone is under investigation, the images are
> diverted to any additional (top secret) location between the device
> and the LSI. This extra diversion results in the degragation where the
> person taking the picture does not get 100% of the picture. Typically,
> though, only 10% of the picture is lost in this process (known as the
> Brown-Curley CYMK 300 Bifurcation Process).
>
> The US Government does make available forms with which you can request
> return of the lost 10% of the images. These forms are also available
> via the Internet.
>
> On 29 Jan 2007 08:35:13 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>Greet to group,
>>I have just heard that jpg is made degraded by US government.
>>Deliberate! You do not get 100% of photograph. This is like the
>>selective availability of GPS by America Government. This is big shock
>>to me. From now I will use png and say no to Mr Bush playing with my
>>picture
>>Laszlo

Ken Lucke

In article <45be2ef9$(E-Mail Removed)>, John Ortt
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Steve Koterski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > That is a correct. It is a result of the War on Terror.
> >
> > Shortly after the attack on the WTC on Septrember 11, 2001, the
> > Department of Homeland Security (DHS) identified JPG and JPEG images
> > as a resource of great national strategic value. As such, they require
> > regulation by and oversight of the US Government.

<snip>

> > The US Government does make available forms with which you can request
> > return of the lost 10% of the images. These forms are also available
> > via the Internet.
> >

> Glad that's all cleared up : )

Hehe. That's almost as good as some of the true urban legend articles
floating around out there. Steve should add writing conspiracy theory
books (á la DaVinci Code, etc.) to photography as a hobby/profession.
<g>

Betcha that if you let that article out into the wild of the rest of
usenet, and especially if you added some sort of "tax on .jpg images"
bit to it (similar to the old "modem tax" urban legend), you'd have a
great run with it. :^)

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard