Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > horrible blacks in nikon d1x

horrible blacks in nikon d1x

videocamera

have any of you experienced an inability to get clean blacks from the
nikon d1x camera? all the blacks in my shots are fuzzy and hazy. I've
tried numerous settings inclduding white balancing and still can not
get clean blacks. any info greatly appreciated.

videocamer

Cgiorgio

I never handled a D1, but why don't you just manipulate the gamma curve in
post processing ( offset the base a bit to the right). White balancing will
mainly affect highlights but not the dark areas. Most image editors allow
you to do that and many allow per color channel corrections as well.

"videocamera" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> have any of you experienced an inability to get clean blacks from the
> nikon d1x camera? all the blacks in my shots are fuzzy and hazy. I've
> tried numerous settings inclduding white balancing and still can not
> get clean blacks. any info greatly appreciated.
>
> videocamer

David Ruether

"videocamera" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> have any of you experienced an inability to get clean blacks from the
> nikon d1x camera? all the blacks in my shots are fuzzy and hazy. I've
> tried numerous settings inclduding white balancing and still can not
> get clean blacks. any info greatly appreciated.
>
> videocamer

Are you sure you are not using Tiffen filters (they quickly self-fog)
and that your lenses are clean. Either can destroy blacks... Look also
for fungus or oil inside the lens or (MANY) scratches on the surfaces
of the lens. Also, you may be slightly overexposing - but you can
bring the dark tones down in the photo editor, as the other poster
suggested. I tried a D1X (as have MANY others) without finding
this a problem...
--DR

videocamera

thanks for the advice. i'll give it a try, but sure wish I could get
clean pictures before post; oh well - the wonderful world of digital
photography!

On Jan 27, 6:00 am, "Cgiorgio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I never handled a D1, but why don't you just manipulate the gamma curve in
> post processing ( offset the base a bit to the right). White balancing will
> mainly affect highlights but not the dark areas. Most image editors allow
> you to do that and many allow per color channel corrections as well.
>
> "videocamera" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitragnews:1169881686.250153.38610@a75g2000cw d.googlegroups.com...
>
> > have any of you experienced an inability to get clean blacks from the
> > nikon d1x camera? all the blacks in my shots are fuzzy and hazy. I've
> > tried numerous settings inclduding white balancing and still can not
> > get clean blacks. any info greatly appreciated.

> > videocamer

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On 26 Jan 2007 23:08:06 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "videocamera"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>have any of you experienced an inability to get clean blacks from the
>nikon d1x camera? all the blacks in my shots are fuzzy and hazy. I've
>tried numerous settings inclduding white balancing and still can not
>get clean blacks. any info greatly appreciated.

I assume you are saying this based upon what you view on your PC. Is your
monitor calibrated and are your viewing the images in a color managed
application using the appropriate profile for your monitor?
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

Floyd L. Davidson

"videocamera" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>have any of you experienced an inability to get clean blacks from the
>nikon d1x camera? all the blacks in my shots are fuzzy and hazy. I've
>tried numerous settings inclduding white balancing and still can not
>get clean blacks. any info greatly appreciated.

How are you processing the images, and what kind of a display are
you referring to?

It sounds like you are looking at the images with a poorly adjusted
monitor...