Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus SP-550 UZ: 18x ultra zoom

Olympus SP-550 UZ: 18x ultra zoom

ray

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:43:47 +0000, Ken wrote:

> This look like it will be a good one???
>
> Not yet in UK but anyone elsewhere got one or know the price range?
>
> Ken

Now if they'd scrap the stupid xd cards and get with the rest of the world.

grruffbowwow

On Jan 26, 11:55 am, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:43:47 +0000, Ken wrote:
> > This look like it will be a good one???

> > Not yet in UK but anyone elsewhere got one or know the price range?

> > KenNow if they'd scrap the stupid xd cards and get with the rest of the world.

I agree whole-heartedly - what a waste. Both Fuji and Olympus are
coming out with some very interesting and innovative cameras, but
they're hobbled by the stupid cards. This new Oly camera looks really
good; I too have an Oly C-5060 that I'd like to replace with a "wide to
long-zoom" for lightweight general use. I broke down and bought a Fuji
F10 a while ago, and was pleasantly surprised to find that an xD card
wasn't twice the price of other formats anymore; more like 10% higher -
and a lot less than a Sony memory stick. Still, I feel like I'm being
bent over the cash-register when I think about buying another.

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, ray says...

> Now if they'd scrap the stupid xd cards and get with the rest of the world.

I'd say it's highly irrelevant what card format they use. Cards are
cheap nowadays and it's very likely you won't reuse the cards you buy
today with your next camera. Besides, what is the rest of the world -
CF, SD or what else? CF sucks by the way. I bought a USB card reader and
cannot insert anymore the CF card because one of the pins got bent. Why
on earth does a memory card have to have so many pins?
--

Alfred Molon

Andrew MacPherson

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Alfred Molon) wrote:

> I'd say it's highly irrelevant what card format they use. Cards are
> cheap nowadays

Yes, even XD cards are pretty cheap now (not as cheap as SD, but a lot
better than in the past.

Although I love the 28mm wide end, the big factor for me so far with
this camera is the EVF (the factor which stopped me buying the similarly
compact Canon S3). The preview at
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...ew/index.shtml has
no details but says the EVF is ok. Hard to tell much from that though.

Andrew McP

Paul D. Sullivan

>> I'd say it's highly irrelevant what card format they use.
>> Cards are cheap nowadays

> Yes, even XD cards are pretty cheap now (not as cheap as SD,
> but a lot better than in the past.
>
> Although I love the 28mm wide end, the big factor for me so
> far with
> this camera is the EVF (the factor which stopped me buying the
> similarly compact Canon S3). The preview at
> has no details but says the EVF is ok. Hard to tell much from
> that though.

I have an XD card for my Oly C5050, but was happy that it came
with a Compact Flash slot, which I had thought would be the
dominant format, but it looks like SD cards have taken over
completely.

I ended up not getting the Canon S3 because of the lower pixel
resolution and also the EVF.

I opted to get the Canon A640 instead, which is SD based. I
really do prefer the SD format to the XD card. XD is just too
small for me physically. I might lose it if I took it out and
swapped it every now and then.

I wonder if ANY super-zooms are going to have a standard Optical
Viewfinder? I also wonder when they will get to 8 or 10
megapixels to make it worth the step up from my Oly C5050.

David J Taylor

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
[]
> I wonder if ANY super-zooms are going to have a standard Optical
> Viewfinder? I also wonder when they will get to 8 or 10
> megapixels to make it worth the step up from my Oly C5050.

Unlikely, as the cost, size and weight of the viewfinder lens would be too
high.

The EVF is already a through-the-lens viewfinder, so can provide precise
framing and lack of parallax. All it needs is more resolution, and
Minolta have already shown that is possible with their VGA-resolution
finder for the Minolta A2.

David

Alfred Molon

In article <fJGuh.46$Hb6.23@trndny02>, Paul D. Sullivan says...

> but it looks like SD cards have taken over
> completely.

Have they? I used to think that CF is the dominant format.
--

Alfred Molon

Paul D. Sullivan

>> I wonder if ANY super-zooms are going to have a standard
>> Optical Viewfinder? I also wonder when they will get to 8 or
>> 10 megapixels to make it worth the step up from my Oly C5050.

> Unlikely, as the cost, size and weight of the viewfinder lens
> would be too high.
>
> The EVF is already a through-the-lens viewfinder, so can
> provide precise framing and lack of parallax. All it needs is
> more resolution, and Minolta have already shown that is
> possible with their VGA-resolution finder for the Minolta A2.

Isn't Minolta leaving the market though?

I have a very hard time using EVF's. I have poor eyesite and
cannot seem to view LCD's nearly as well as others, but have no
trouble with optical viewfinders by comparison.

I am baffled as to why they have not upped the Megapixels to at
least 8mp.

Paul D. Sullivan

Same here. But suddenly, so many of the new cameras seem to use
SD, and Digital Video Recorders even come with 'em now. I was
confident Compact Flash would have won, but I guess its size
makes it less desireable.

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
>>> I wonder if ANY super-zooms are going to have a standard
>>> Optical Viewfinder? I also wonder when they will get to 8 or
>>> 10 megapixels to make it worth the step up from my Oly C5050.

>> Unlikely, as the cost, size and weight of the viewfinder lens
>> would be too high.
>>
>> The EVF is already a through-the-lens viewfinder, so can
>> provide precise framing and lack of parallax. All it needs is
>> more resolution, and Minolta have already shown that is
>> possible with their VGA-resolution finder for the Minolta A2.

> Isn't Minolta leaving the market though?

Indeed - they only used that viewfinder in one camera. Too expensive,
perhaps?

> I have a very hard time using EVF's. I have poor eyesite and
> cannot seem to view LCD's nearly as well as others, but have no
> trouble with optical viewfinders by comparison.
>
> I am baffled as to why they have not upped the Megapixels to at
> least 8mp.

Of course, you need to use what best suits you. The EVF should offer at
least VGA resolution, and with the chance to present a larger, brighter
image, I am surprised a high-resolution EVF doesn't suit you. It has the
potential to be bigger and brighter than the viewfinder in a DSLR, which
can be limited by the small aperture lenses frequently used. The typical
DSLR viewfinder no longer offers the focussing aids for accurate manual
focussing, although it will offer depth-of-field preview (at even more
reduction in brightness).

For what applications do you need 8MP?

David