Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > DxO Optics outputs to 72dpi only on Canon 5D?

DxO Optics outputs to 72dpi only on Canon 5D?

Erasmo Acosta

Hello,

I have DxO optics pro 3.5 on windows. Results look great, but I noticed
it only outputs to 72 dpi (JPG or TIFF) and there is nothing I can do
about it. On the "Output Sstings" tab it says 72 DPI is the maximum. If
I choose "Keep Original" it defaults to 72 DPI. Comments?

I also noticed that on the pulldown there are other dpi options (100,
200, 300, 400). If I choose one of this it generates the correct DPI,
but I dont see any difference on the picture (file size, or visually).
My questions are: What does the DPI matter? Is DxO generating a 400
dpi, although the original size it indicated on the "Output Settings"
dialog was 72 dpi? How do I know that anything higher than 72 isn't
just empty? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I'm very
confused here.

Jim

"Erasmo Acosta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I have DxO optics pro 3.5 on windows. Results look great, but I noticed
> it only outputs to 72 dpi (JPG or TIFF) and there is nothing I can do
> about it. On the "Output Sstings" tab it says 72 DPI is the maximum. If
> I choose "Keep Original" it defaults to 72 DPI. Comments?

DPI is merely a scale factor. What is the size of the image in pixels?
Jim

Erasmo Acosta

The images are 12.8 Mega Pixels

I just want to make sure that is worth having it on 400Dpi and that
anything about 72 DPI is not just air occupying space.

On Jan 24, 10:55 am, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Erasmo Acosta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...> Hello,
>
> > I have DxO optics pro 3.5 on windows. Results look great, but I noticed
> > it only outputs to 72 dpi (JPG or TIFF) and there is nothing I can do
> > about it. On the "Output Sstings" tab it says 72 DPI is the maximum. If
> > I choose "Keep Original" it defaults to 72 DPI. Comments?DPI is merely a scale factor. What is the size of the image in pixels?

> Jim

Cgiorgio

The 72 DPI are just dead data fields in the EXIF - data, they do not
influence printout in any way. 72 dpi or 96 dpi are common resolution values
for computer screens. It has nothing to do with the image data which is
contained in the much larger JPEG data section of the file, but someone
deemed these fields useful when the EXIF specification was written.

"Erasmo Acosta" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> The images are 12.8 Mega Pixels
>
> I just want to make sure that is worth having it on 400Dpi and that
> anything about 72 DPI is not just air occupying space.
>
> On Jan 24, 10:55 am, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Erasmo Acosta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...>
>> Hello,
>>
>> > I have DxO optics pro 3.5 on windows. Results look great, but I noticed
>> > it only outputs to 72 dpi (JPG or TIFF) and there is nothing I can do
>> > about it. On the "Output Sstings" tab it says 72 DPI is the maximum. If
>> > I choose "Keep Original" it defaults to 72 DPI. Comments?DPI is merely
>> > a scale factor. What is the size of the image in pixels?

>> Jim

Bill Funk

On 24 Jan 2007 13:47:42 -0800, "Erasmo Acosta" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The images are 12.8 Mega Pixels
>
>I just want to make sure that is worth having it on 400Dpi and that
>anything about 72 DPI is not just air occupying space.

The DPI (actually PPI) figure is purely nominal, and means nothing.
Whay you're interested in is the dimensions in pixels.
PPI only enters into the picture when you're printing he image; when
you do that, you will set the PPI for the quality you want.
IOW, don't worry about this.

--
California's Assembly prepared
Monday to move the state's

Jim

"Erasmo Acosta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> The images are 12.8 Mega Pixels

No, what I meant was how many pixels horizontally and how many vertically.
If the aspect ratio is 1.5 :1, then you have an image which is about 3000 x
4500 pixels. You should be able to get a very nice 11x14 image (which would
work out to be somewhat less than 300 ppi in the print).
Jim

> I just want to make sure that is worth having it on 400Dpi and that
> anything about 72 DPI is not just air occupying space.
>
> On Jan 24, 10:55 am, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Erasmo Acosta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...>
>> Hello,
>>
>> > I have DxO optics pro 3.5 on windows. Results look great, but I noticed
>> > it only outputs to 72 dpi (JPG or TIFF) and there is nothing I can do
>> > about it. On the "Output Sstings" tab it says 72 DPI is the maximum. If
>> > I choose "Keep Original" it defaults to 72 DPI. Comments?DPI is merely
>> > a scale factor. What is the size of the image in pixels?

>> Jim

Colin_D

Erasmo Acosta wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have DxO optics pro 3.5 on windows. Results look great, but I noticed
> it only outputs to 72 dpi (JPG or TIFF) and there is nothing I can do
> about it. On the "Output Sstings" tab it says 72 DPI is the maximum. If
> I choose "Keep Original" it defaults to 72 DPI. Comments?
>
> I also noticed that on the pulldown there are other dpi options (100,
> 200, 300, 400). If I choose one of this it generates the correct DPI,
> but I dont see any difference on the picture (file size, or visually).
> My questions are: What does the DPI matter? Is DxO generating a 400
> dpi, although the original size it indicated on the "Output Settings"
> dialog was 72 dpi? How do I know that anything higher than 72 isn't
> just empty? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I'm very
> confused here.

Without any interpolation of the image to increase or decrease the pixel
count, the dpi - or more correctly, the ppi, pixels per inch - only
determines how big the image will print. For viewing on screen, ppi is
irrelevant.

Normally one would change the ppi, and possibly alter the pixel count by
interpolation, in an image editor like Photoshop when sizing the image
for printing.

There's a lot of confusion around about ppi and dpi. Pixels per inch
(ppi) always refers to the image, and determines how big the image will
print. If your image is, say, 2000 by 3000 pixels, and you set the ppi
to 200, the image will print at 2000/200 by 3000/200, or 10 by 15
inches. If you want to print at 20 by 30 inches, your choices are to
either print at 100 ppi, or interpolate the image to give 200 ppi at 20
by 30 inches.

Dots per inch (dpi) always, and only, refers to printers. My Canon
printer prints at 4800 by 2400 dpi. When it is printing, say, a 300 ppi
image, the printer will lay down a pattern of 4800/300 by 2400/300, or
16 by 8 individual dots of ink to make one pixel of the image. Of
course it is a bit more sophisticated than that, the dots for each image
pixel are modified to blend with the dots for the following pixel, and
so on, but you will get the idea.

DxO Optics is not the only image handling program to mix up ppi and dpi,
and I guess if you know which is which it doesn't really matter, but
technically at least they are not using the correct terms.

Colin D.

PS: Upgrading to the current DxO 4.1 is worth while. Not only are the
images noticeably better, but it has more features and it executes
faster. 3.5 used to take about 40 seconds per 6.3 MP image on my
computer (Win 2000, 3.00 GHz with a gig of ram), and now 4.1 takes less
than half that. When processing a quantity of images the time saving is
significant.

Colin D.

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On 24 Jan 2007 09:58:31 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Erasmo Acosta"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have DxO optics pro 3.5 on windows. Results look great, but I noticed
>it only outputs to 72 dpi (JPG or TIFF) and there is nothing I can do
>about it. On the "Output Sstings" tab it says 72 DPI is the maximum. If
>I choose "Keep Original" it defaults to 72 DPI. Comments?
>
>I also noticed that on the pulldown there are other dpi options (100,
>200, 300, 400). If I choose one of this it generates the correct DPI,
>but I dont see any difference on the picture (file size, or visually).
>My questions are: What does the DPI matter? Is DxO generating a 400
>dpi, although the original size it indicated on the "Output Settings"
>dialog was 72 dpi? How do I know that anything higher than 72 isn't
>just empty? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I'm very
>confused here.

Might I suggest you start by getting a grip of the basic concepts at
http://www.scantips.com
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

Skip

"Erasmo Acosta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> The images are 12.8 Mega Pixels
>
> I just want to make sure that is worth having it on 400Dpi and that
> anything about 72 DPI is not just air occupying space.
>
> On Jan 24, 10:55 am, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Erasmo Acosta" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...>
>> Hello,
>>
>> > I have DxO optics pro 3.5 on windows. Results look great, but I noticed
>> > it only outputs to 72 dpi (JPG or TIFF) and there is nothing I can do
>> > about it. On the "Output Sstings" tab it says 72 DPI is the maximum. If
>> > I choose "Keep Original" it defaults to 72 DPI. Comments?DPI is merely
>> > a scale factor. What is the size of the image in pixels?

>> Jim

Resize the image to 8x12 and you will majically have a nearly 400dpi image.
If you look at the dimensions of the image at 72dpi, you'll notice that it's
somewhere in the neighborhood of 30x40 or bigger.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com