Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D70 for Night Photography

Nikon D70 for Night Photography

dbd

On Jan 23, 11:44 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Adjusting the D70 to 1600 ASA makes it great for night photography. I

> (jeffrey dach drdach.) Is there a way to push the D-70 to 3200 ASA? Any
> other suggested adjustments to optimize for night photography?
>
> microchip

Why would you want to use high ASA with its higher noise instead of
longer exposure? Your example of Orion is a subject that is not moving.
Then you just need to make the camera not move during the exposure.
Some DSLRs provide a noise calcelling function to remove hot pixel
noise during long exposures.

Dale B. Dalrymple
http://dbdimages.com

M-M

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"dbd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Why would you want to use high ASA with its higher noise instead of
> longer exposure? Your example of Orion is a subject that is not moving.
> Then you just need to make the camera not move during the exposure.

Orion is indeed moving, or rather the earth is moving. At 300mm,
exposures >2 sec leave stars as streaks rather than points of light.

--
m-m

LuvLatins

On 25 Jan 2007 17:23:32 -0800, "dbd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jan 23, 11:44 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Adjusting the D70 to 1600 ASA makes it great for night photography. I

>> (jeffrey dach drdach.) Is there a way to push the D-70 to 3200 ASA? Any
>> other suggested adjustments to optimize for night photography?
>>
>> microchip

>Why would you want to use high ASA with its higher noise instead of
>longer exposure? Your example of Orion is a subject that is not moving.
>Then you just need to make the camera not move during the exposure.
>Some DSLRs provide a noise calcelling function to remove hot pixel
>noise during long exposures.
>
>Dale B. Dalrymple
>http://dbdimages.com

Someone recently complained that the NR feture on the D200 prevented
the camera on a telescope from accuratley taking night time pictures
of the sky. It apparently confused the camea into thinking that the
starts were noise and eliminated some starts. The poster complained
to Nikon and said they ignored his request to put a fix in the
firmware. He later stated that he found a work around. He would take
his picture, (Long Exposure of Several Minutes) Then as soon as the
sutter closed he would power off the camera. Apparently this turning
off of the camera forces it to write what it has in memory and avoids
the NR filter from running. I tried it and it does dump whats in
memory and prevent the NR filter from running. I wonder however after
seeing some of your night shots in this thread why he was having
issues. It looks like the camera does not remove or change the sky
and knows the difference between stars and camera noise. I dont know
because I dont have mine on a telescope. Interesting thread and nice
night shots guys.

Roger

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:43:15 -0500, LuvLatins <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 25 Jan 2007 17:23:32 -0800, "dbd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>On Jan 23, 11:44 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Adjusting the D70 to 1600 ASA makes it great for night photography. I

>>> (jeffrey dach drdach.) Is there a way to push the D-70 to 3200 ASA? Any
>>> other suggested adjustments to optimize for night photography?
>>>
>>> microchip

>>Why would you want to use high ASA with its higher noise instead of
>>longer exposure? Your example of Orion is a subject that is not moving.
>>Then you just need to make the camera not move during the exposure.
>>Some DSLRs provide a noise calcelling function to remove hot pixel
>>noise during long exposures.
>>
>>Dale B. Dalrymple
>>http://dbdimages.com

>Someone recently complained that the NR feture on the D200 prevented
>the camera on a telescope from accuratley taking night time pictures
>of the sky. It apparently confused the camea into thinking that the

The NR does not work that way. The camera taks a photo, then closes
the shutter and takes another photo of the same duration with the idea
that the noise will be consistent in both frames. It then subtracts
the second frame from the first and saves the processed image. As the
noise is thermal in nature I'm a bit surprised that it works quite
well.

>starts were noise and eliminated some starts. The poster complained
>to Nikon and said they ignored his request to put a fix in the
>firmware. He later stated that he found a work around. He would take
>his picture, (Long Exposure of Several Minutes) Then as soon as the

If he was doing that it'd make more sense to just turn off the NR. It
should be off by default.

>sutter closed he would power off the camera. Apparently this turning
>off of the camera forces it to write what it has in memory and avoids
>the NR filter from running. I tried it and it does dump whats in
>memory and prevent the NR filter from running. I wonder however after
>seeing some of your night shots in this thread why he was having
>issues. It looks like the camera does not remove or change the sky
>and knows the difference between stars and camera noise. I dont know
>because I dont have mine on a telescope. Interesting thread and nice
>night shots guys.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 23:31:33 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Roger
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The NR does not work that way. The camera taks a photo, then closes
>the shutter and takes another photo of the same duration with the idea
>that the noise will be consistent in both frames. It then subtracts
>the second frame from the first and saves the processed image. As the
>noise is thermal in nature I'm a bit surprised that it works quite
>well.

Note that the Nikon D200 and D80 have two types of NR. That is how the Long
Exp NR functions, but not the High ISO noise reduction as per

p 131 of the fine manual for the D200
p 83 of the fine manual for the D80

The D70 does only has the Long Exp NR (dark frame subtraction).
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

Roger

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 05:58:35 -0500, "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN
SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 23:31:33 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Roger
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>The NR does not work that way. The camera taks a photo, then closes
>>the shutter and takes another photo of the same duration with the idea
>>that the noise will be consistent in both frames. It then subtracts
>>the second frame from the first and saves the processed image. As the
>>noise is thermal in nature I'm a bit surprised that it works quite
>>well.

>Note that the Nikon D200 and D80 have two types of NR. That is how the Long
>Exp NR functions, but not the High ISO noise reduction as per

Thanks Ed,I was under the impression they were all using the same
method.

>p 131 of the fine manual for the D200
>p 83 of the fine manual for the D80
>
>The D70 does only has the Long Exp NR (dark frame subtraction).

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Thomas T. Veldhouse

M-M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>
>> Is there a way to push the D-70 to 3200 ASA

> The D80 can go up to ISO 3200 by turning off ISO AUTO. Not sure about
> the D70.
>
> Here is a shot of Orion's belt at 300mm, ISO 3200, 1 sec. Taken through
> a double-pane window. (Non-astronomers will find this photo boring):
>
> http://www.mhmyers.com/d80/DSC_3818cr.jpg

Why through double-pane glass? It seems the sky is a bit accessible, eh?

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Thomas T. Veldhouse

David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Means they'll let you go up to ISO 3200 in 1/3 stop increments, but they
> won't come right out and call it ISO 3200. I don't know if this means
> there are formal standards for stating ISO speeds for digital cameras,
> or if it's their own choice.

I do believe that it means they use software to achieve ISO3200. You could
take the image at ISO1600 and achieve the same results [theoretically] in
photoshop. ISO1600 and below are acheived by increased gain at the sensor,
which should yield better results as it will capture more information than
using software, which gains no information.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

M-M

In article <Q6Iwh.4484$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Here is a shot of Orion's belt at 300mm, ISO 3200, 1 sec. Taken through
> > a double-pane window. (Non-astronomers will find this photo boring):
> >
> > http://www.mhmyers.com/d80/DSC_3818cr.jpg
> >

> Why through double-pane glass? It seems the sky is a bit accessible, eh?

It was cold and I was ready for bed

--
m-m