Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > (8 GB) SDHC in Canon Powershot S3 IS

(8 GB) SDHC in Canon Powershot S3 IS

name

Hello.

Does anyone have any experience with a 8 (or 4) GB SDHC memory card
(for instance Transcend 150x)
in a Canon Powershot S3 IS?
I wonder if it would be slower than a regular SD card because it uses
fat32 instead of fat16.

According to this list, it ought to work:

ftp://www.transcend.nl/SDHC%20Compat...%20January.pdf

Any chance it might work in a Canon Powershot S2 IS just the same?

kind regards & thanks in advance, Niek

Cgiorgio

Absolutely no chance - The S2IS is using the FAT, not FAT32 file system.
Furthermore you will not even be able to slide an SDHC card into the card
slot. 2GB is the limit and SDHC does not give you any advantage because the
camera interface is also limited in speed.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

On Jan 24, 1:08 pm, "Cgiorgio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Absolutely no chance - The S2IS is using the FAT, not FAT32 file system.
> Furthermore you will not even be able to slide an SDHC card into the card
> slot. 2GB is the limit and SDHC does not give you any advantage because the
> camera interface is also limited in speed.

2GB is not the limit. I have a powershot S2 IS and it works fine with a
normal
4 GB SD card (Transcend 150x).
The SDHC card works in the S3 IS (or at least that is what the webpage
by Transcend claims), so it might work in the S2 IS as well.

name

On Jan 24, 1:08 pm, "Cgiorgio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Absolutely no chance - The S2IS is using the FAT, not FAT32 file system.
> Furthermore you will not even be able to slide an SDHC card into the card
> slot. 2GB is the limit and SDHC does not give you any advantage because the
> camera interface is also limited in speed.

2GB is not the limit. I have a powershot S2 IS and it works fine with a
normal
4 GB SD card (Transcend 150x).
The SDHC card works in the S3 IS (or at least that is what the webpage
by Transcend claims), so it might work in the S2 IS as well.

Phil Wheeler

name wrote:

> On Jan 24, 1:08 pm, "Cgiorgio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Absolutely no chance - The S2IS is using the FAT, not FAT32 file system.
>> Furthermore you will not even be able to slide an SDHC card into the card
>> slot. 2GB is the limit and SDHC does not give you any advantage because the
>> camera interface is also limited in speed.
>>

> 2GB is not the limit. I have a powershot S2 IS and it works fine with a
> normal
> 4 GB SD card (Transcend 150x).
> The SDHC card works in the S3 IS (or at least that is what the webpage
> by Transcend claims), so it might work in the S2 IS as well.

S3 IS is speced for SD, not SDHC.

Phil

name

On Jan 24, 5:32 pm, Phil Wheeler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> name wrote:
>
> > On Jan 24, 1:08 pm, "Cgiorgio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Absolutely no chance - The S2IS is using the FAT, not FAT32 file system.
> >> Furthermore you will not even be able to slide an SDHC card into the card
> >> slot. 2GB is the limit and SDHC does not give you any advantage because the
> >> camera interface is also limited in speed.

> > 2GB is not the limit. I have a powershot S2 IS and it works fine with a
> > normal
> > 4 GB SD card (Transcend 150x).
> > The SDHC card works in the S3 IS (or at least that is what the webpage
> > by Transcend claims), so it might work in the S2 IS as well.

> S3 IS is speced for SD, not SDHC.
>
> Phil

So how come Transcend specifically lists the Canon Powershot S3 IS in
their list of cameras compatible with SDHC memory cards?

name wrote:

> On Jan 24, 5:32 pm, Phil Wheeler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> name wrote:

>>> 2GB is not the limit. I have a powershot S2 IS and it works fine with a
>>> normal
>>> 4 GB SD card (Transcend 150x).
>>> The SDHC card works in the S3 IS (or at least that is what the webpage
>>> by Transcend claims), so it might work in the S2 IS as well.

>> S3 IS is speced for SD, not SDHC.
>>
>> Phil

> So how come Transcend specifically lists the Canon Powershot S3 IS in
> their list of cameras compatible with SDHC memory cards?
>
> ftp://www.transcend.nl/SDHC%20Compat...%20January.pdf

Uhh .. because: 1) they don't know any better; or
2) they sell cards. Seems like Canon would know
best, but--hey--its not my money

I know they have a 4G 150x SD card card that works
in the S3 .. but it is NOT SDHC.

Phil

name

On Jan 24, 10:58 pm, Phil Wheeler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> name wrote:

> >> S3 IS is speced for SD, not SDHC.

> >> Phil

> > So how come Transcend specifically lists the Canon Powershot S3 IS in
> > their list of cameras compatible with SDHC memory cards?

> >ftp://www.transcend.nl/SDHC%20Compat...%20January.pdf

> Uhh .. because: 1) they don't know any better; or
> 2) they sell cards. Seems like Canon would know
> best, but--hey--its not my money

Do you have any link to a webpage where Canon says that SDHC cards will
not
work in the powershot S3?
According to the Transcend website, Canon specifically declares that
the maximum capacity for SDHC is 8 GB.
It seems a bit unlikely a reputable company like Transcend will lie
about such things in order to sell more cards,

> I know they have a 4G 150x SD card card that works
> in the S3 .. but it is NOT SDHC.
>
> Phil- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

David Johnstone

On Jan 25, 1:32 am, "name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Do you have any link to a webpage where Canon says thatSDHCcards will
> not work in the powershot S3?

No; but Canon seem to list the cards that do work, not the ones
that don't. Seems reasonable, since the latter would be long and
always incomplete

But if you go to "Product Specification" on the Canon Website for
each camera, scroll down to the "Memory Card" section, it says
e.g. for the IXUS 900:-

"Secure Digital (SD) Card, Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC)
Card or MultiMediaCard (MMC)"

and for the Powershot S3:

"Secure Digital (SD) Card, MultiMediaCard (MMC)"

So that seems pretty clear to me.
I have an Ixus 750 which unfortunately can't do SDHC either.
I use the 4GB SD (not SDHC) cards in it.
They are also currently the cheapest per MB/GB.

David

kjv1611 kjv1611 is offline
Junior Member

It seems strange there are so many differing sources of info for the cameras. I have an S3, and contacted Canon direct, last year - I believe it was mid to late last year (2007). Anyway, at that time, I was told that the theoretical memory size limit for the Canon S3 IS was some really big number - not likely anything that'd be avaialable any time soon, at least, and that yes they do accept SDHC cards. Perhaps at the time most of you go the info about SDHC cards, Canon wasn't 100% sure of that format just yet, I don't know.

Along those lines, does anyone know for sure as to whether or not the S2 may actually be able to handle SDHC?