Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > wide angle lens with macro

wide angle lens with macro

Spacey Spade

Why do some wide angle lens get sold with a macro lens screwed on to
the back?

Gisle Hannemyr

"Spacey Spade" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Why do some wide angle lens get sold with a macro lens screwed on to
> the back?

They don't.

I assume you are talking about the "Titanium" (et al) wide angle
attachements flogged at eBay for $19.95 and upwards?

I guess that whoever manufactures this junk at one point discovered
that the rear element could do double duty as a dioptre adjustment
close up lens, so they labeled it "macro" and made it detachable.

It has nothing to do with is normally called a "macro" lens, and
whether the whole shebang can be called a "wide angle" is debatable.
Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

gypsy3001@yahoo.com

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
> "Spacey Spade" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Why do some wide angle lens get sold with a macro lens screwed on to
> > the back?

> It has nothing to do with is normally called a "macro" lens, and
> whether the whole shebang can be called a "wide angle" is debatable.

The Cokin 0.5x also has a "macro" attached:
http://www.camerahacker.com/Cokin/Co...ngle_Lens.html

Chieh

gypsy3001@yahoo.com

> Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
> > "Spacey Spade" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > > Why do some wide angle lens get sold with a macro lens screwed on to
> > > the back?

> > It has nothing to do with is normally called a "macro" lens, and
> > whether the whole shebang can be called a "wide angle" is debatable.

> The Cokin 0.5x also has a "macro" attached:
> http://www.camerahacker.com/Cokin/Co...ngle_Lens.html

Forgot to mention that the wide-angle lens element, by itself, is not
afocal. Used by itself on your camera lens, you will get blurry images.
The concave close-up lens element, combined with the wide-angle lens
element, make the entire lens afocal for attachment to your camera. I
suppose as a bonus, the manufacturer decided to make the close-up lens
detachable, so you can use it like a macro lens.

Chieh

Spacey Spade

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
> > >
> > > It has nothing to do with is normally called a "macro" lens, and
> > > whether the whole shebang can be called a "wide angle" is debatable.

> > The Cokin 0.5x also has a "macro" attached:
> > http://www.camerahacker.com/Cokin/Co...ngle_Lens.html

> Forgot to mention that the wide-angle lens element, by itself, is not
> afocal. Used by itself on your camera lens, you will get blurry images.
> The concave close-up lens element, combined with the wide-angle lens
> element, make the entire lens afocal for attachment to your camera. I
> suppose as a bonus, the manufacturer decided to make the close-up lens
> detachable, so you can use it like a macro lens.
>
> Chieh

Thanks. I'm saved from taking a class in optics and can get back to
computer software pursuits that have no long term value. You are a
darling.