Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Remote Controller for night photography

Canon Remote Controller for night photography

Bonehead

Hi
Can someone advise me on which canon remote controller would be better
suited for night photography. The RC-1, RC-5 or the RS-60E3. RC1 and
RC-5 can both fire immediately or would it be better to have the
RS-60E3 so that you can press the shutter halfway to compose etc before
taking the shot?
As you can tell i havent played with taking photos from dusk onwards.
Your comments are much appreciated.

Matt Ion

Bonehead wrote:
> Hi
> Can someone advise me on which canon remote controller would be better
> suited for night photography. The RC-1, RC-5 or the RS-60E3. RC1 and
> RC-5 can both fire immediately or would it be better to have the
> RS-60E3 so that you can press the shutter halfway to compose etc before
> taking the shot?
> As you can tell i havent played with taking photos from dusk onwards.
> Your comments are much appreciated.

For what camera?

A lot of AF cameras won't even shoot until focus is locked, and need a remote
with a half-press to initiate autofocus. The connectors would likely be
different on a remote with that function.

King Sardon

On 22 Jan 2007 11:12:56 -0800, "Bonehead" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi
>Can someone advise me on which canon remote controller would be better
>suited for night photography. The RC-1, RC-5 or the RS-60E3. RC1 and
>RC-5 can both fire immediately or would it be better to have the
>RS-60E3 so that you can press the shutter halfway to compose etc before
>taking the shot?

The RC-1 actuates the camera remotely from the camers's front. So this
is a bit unhandy if you are taking pics standing behind the camera.
The RC-1 is best for self-portraits and group shots that you are in.
It has a 2-sec delay to allow you to hide the remote.

Note that the RC-1 does not do a mirror lockup when using the 2-sec
delay, contrary to some info on the web. (Would be a handy feature,
though.)

The RS-60E3 is more suitable for general photography. You can
half-click it to focus, etc. and can lock it for bulb exposures. The
2-foot length is a bit stingy but it works.

KS