Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Limited connectivity with web page authentication

Limited connectivity with web page authentication

Jeff

I've seen this several times now on several computers using SP2. When they
connect to public network that requires the user to sign in on a web page
to use the network, the network card gets an IP address but no browsers will
work. Essentially, they can't get past the proxy. It doesn't matter if it is
wireless or wired and it seem to only happen in SP2. Anyone else seeing
this?

ozzybud

Yes. I do tech support for just such a network, the only sollution is t
use a mozzila browser, or I suppose any non-IE browser. This is an I
issue and SP2. what happens is that no matter what XP SP2 won't let yo
set the IE security settings bellow a certaint level. I forget exactl
which, I believe medium-low is too low even for SP2. It will also o
SOME installs to give the impression that it actually DID reset th
security level when it didn't.. What are most providers & users doin
about it? Either throw SP2 away or using firefox. check ou

Jeff wrote:
> *I've seen this several times now on several computers using SP2
> When they
> connect to public network that requires the user to sign in on a we
> page
> to use the network, the network card gets an IP address but n
> browsers will
> work. Essentially, they can't get past the proxy. It doesn't matte
> if it is
> wireless or wired and it seem to only happen in SP2. Anyone els
> seeing
> this?

-
ozzybu