Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Foul demons (cell phone cams) fail in World takeover bid.

Foul demons (cell phone cams) fail in World takeover bid.

Rich

Digital cameras survive camera phone onslaught

http://www.amateurphotographer.com/n...ws_106213.html

January 16, 2007 From Amateur Photographer
Chris Cheesman

Camera phones have failed to quash consumer thirst for digital cameras,
according to Lyra Research, which predicts that digital camera
shipments will exceed 130m in 2010.
'Sales in 2006 showed that consumers' appetite for digital cameras has
not been abated by the spread of camera phones or by existing digital
cameras in the household,' said Lyra's director of consumer imaging
research Steve Hoffenberg. 'Current digital camera users upgraded in
droves to new models offered by every major manufacturer, lured by
image stabilisation features, broader zoom lens ratios and higher
resolution sensors.'
Hoffenberg added: 'While the upgrading activity will eventually taper
off, it shows little sign of vanishing through the end of the decade,
as camera makers continue to pack more value into their products.'
Worldwide digital camera shipments rose 21% to 98m units in 2006,
according to Lyra, which provides market information to digital imaging
companies worldwide.

Bill Funk

On 16 Jan 2007 21:03:16 -0800, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Digital cameras survive camera phone onslaught

There was a camera phone onslaught?
Do the Dems know about this?

--
Arnold Schwarzenegger was at
the Golden Globes Monday to

SimonLW

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Digital cameras survive camera phone onslaught
>
> http://www.amateurphotographer.com/n...ws_106213.html
>
> January 16, 2007 From Amateur Photographer
> Chris Cheesman
>
> Camera phones have failed to quash consumer thirst for digital cameras,
> according to Lyra Research, which predicts that digital camera
> shipments will exceed 130m in 2010.
> 'Sales in 2006 showed that consumers' appetite for digital cameras has
> not been abated by the spread of camera phones or by existing digital
> cameras in the household,' said Lyra's director of consumer imaging
> research Steve Hoffenberg. 'Current digital camera users upgraded in
> droves to new models offered by every major manufacturer, lured by
> image stabilisation features, broader zoom lens ratios and higher
> resolution sensors.'
> Hoffenberg added: 'While the upgrading activity will eventually taper
> off, it shows little sign of vanishing through the end of the decade,
> as camera makers continue to pack more value into their products.'
> Worldwide digital camera shipments rose 21% to 98m units in 2006,
> according to Lyra, which provides market information to digital imaging
> companies worldwide.

Camera phones have fixed focal length "prime" lenses so they must be awesome

From what I seen from some fancy phones, looked like someone smeared
Vaseline on the lens and sampled down to 1mp. Total crap. Other camera
phones looked better, but the little fixed focus lens can only do so much.
Shots from my old Kodak DC280 from 1999 look better. There's just no room
for a good zoom lens system in popular phones, unless they want to make them
bulky again.
-S

Paul Bartram

"SimonLW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> There's just no room
> for a good zoom lens system in popular phones, unless they want to make

them
> bulky again.

Fond memories of my first mobile phone, a big black metal box in the wall of
my van, a handset the size of those bakelite things they had in the 1950s
and a WAY cool pigs-tail antenna at the top of the windscreen. Rarely
dropped out though...

Paul