Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Uploading photos with Canon A530

Uploading photos with Canon A530

Viviane

Hey all,

I don't know much about cameras but I need one for my upcoming trip in
Mexico because I would like to keep a blog and upload pictures from
Internet cafes along the way for friends and family to see. Problem is,
as I understand it, i need to install software on my computer to upload
the pictures from my Canon A530 onto the Web. I can't really do this
every time I go to an internet cafe while on the road. Are there any
other options?

Viviane

Cgiorgio

True, Canon cameras require a driver to be installed under WinXP. You can
remove the SD - card from the camera and put it into a card reader which
does not require installation of a driver under WinXP. I do not know if
Mexican internet café owners will allow you connect such devices however. I
have also seen portable CD recorders with a built in card reader and a
processor which lets you copy the contents of a memory card to a CD.

"Viviane" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hey all,
>
> I don't know much about cameras but I need one for my upcoming trip in
> Mexico because I would like to keep a blog and upload pictures from
> Internet cafes along the way for friends and family to see. Problem is,
> as I understand it, i need to install software on my computer to upload
> the pictures from my Canon A530 onto the Web. I can't really do this
> every time I go to an internet cafe while on the road. Are there any
> other options?
>
> Viviane

Paul Rubin

"Viviane" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I don't know much about cameras but I need one for my upcoming trip in
> Mexico because I would like to keep a blog and upload pictures from
> Internet cafes along the way for friends and family to see. Problem is,
> as I understand it, i need to install software on my computer to upload
> the pictures from my Canon A530 onto the Web. I can't really do this
> every time I go to an internet cafe while on the road. Are there any
> other options?

If the cafe computers have USB ports you could just bring an SD card
reader. Then you could upload the pictures to a web site like flickr
or imageshack.

Dave Cohen

Cgiorgio wrote:
> True, Canon cameras require a driver to be installed under WinXP. You can
> remove the SD - card from the camera and put it into a card reader which
> does not require installation of a driver under WinXP. I do not know if
> Mexican internet café owners will allow you connect such devices however. I
> have also seen portable CD recorders with a built in card reader and a
> processor which lets you copy the contents of a memory card to a CD.
>
> "Viviane" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I don't know much about cameras but I need one for my upcoming trip in
>> Mexico because I would like to keep a blog and upload pictures from
>> Internet cafes along the way for friends and family to see. Problem is,
>> as I understand it, i need to install software on my computer to upload
>> the pictures from my Canon A530 onto the Web. I can't really do this
>> every time I go to an internet cafe while on the road. Are there any
>> other options?
>>
>> Viviane

Canon cameras DO NOT require special drivers when connected to winxp.

If you don't believe it plug a canon into a winxp machine that's never
seen a canon. Canon camera will show in widows explorer and under my
computer. Winxp will also launch the camera and scanner wizard (which
can be used). Either way you will get pictures, it doesn't show as a hd
and you won't see the same layout as if you used a card reader, but you
will see picture filenames. You can copy these to the computer hd,
upload to a website, send as an email attachment or simply delete. A
card reader may be preferred for other reasons (like speed and battery
power).
Dave Cohen

Cgiorgio

"Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Canon cameras DO NOT require special drivers when connected to winxp.
>
> If you don't believe it plug a canon into a winxp machine that's never
> seen a canon. Canon camera will show in widows explorer and under my
> computer. Winxp will also launch the camera and scanner wizard (which can
> be used). Either way you will get pictures, it doesn't show as a hd and
> you won't see the same layout as if you used a card reader, but you will
> see picture filenames. You can copy these to the computer hd, upload to a
> website, send as an email attachment or simply delete. A card reader may
> be preferred for other reasons (like speed and battery power).
> Dave Cohen

Excuse my ignorance, I got the impression from other posts. I installed the
Canon stuff on my XP computer before connecting the camera.

Dave Cohen

Cgiorgio wrote:
> "Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Canon cameras DO NOT require special drivers when connected to winxp.
>>
>> If you don't believe it plug a canon into a winxp machine that's never
>> seen a canon. Canon camera will show in widows explorer and under my
>> computer. Winxp will also launch the camera and scanner wizard (which can
>> be used). Either way you will get pictures, it doesn't show as a hd and
>> you won't see the same layout as if you used a card reader, but you will
>> see picture filenames. You can copy these to the computer hd, upload to a
>> website, send as an email attachment or simply delete. A card reader may
>> be preferred for other reasons (like speed and battery power).
>> Dave Cohen

> Excuse my ignorance, I got the impression from other posts. I installed the
> Canon stuff on my XP computer before connecting the camera.

No problem, I've also read those other posts. I think the confusion is
the fact that it doesn't appear as a drive and what you actually see is
different from that seen when using a card reader. One day I'll do a
search on MTP to find out how this all works. There is a driver involved
but winxp already has it. I suppose the canon one could be a later version.
Dave Cohen
Dave Cohen