Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Compatible Card Reader for xD H and M

Compatible Card Reader for xD H and M

Doug Robbins

I recently bought a 1 GB Fuji Branded Type M XD flash card. My old Dazzle
Zio xD reader doesn't seem to even recognize it, although the Zio works fine
with my older xD cards. It is my understanding that the Type M and Type H
xD cards use a different compression scheme than the older xD cards. Does
anyone know of a card reader that is compatitble with the new types? I'd
rather have some info than just go buying at random. So far web searches for
the type M and H don't turn up much info about compatiblity. I can
download from the camera with a cable but card readers are much faster.

Thanks

Doug

Rudy Benner

"Doug Robbins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45aa74bb$0$5193$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently bought a 1 GB Fuji Branded Type M XD flash card. My old Dazzle
>Zio xD reader doesn't seem to even recognize it, although the Zio works
>fine with my older xD cards. It is my understanding that the Type M and
>Type H xD cards use a different compression scheme than the older xD cards.
>Does anyone know of a card reader that is compatitble with the new types?
>I'd rather have some info than just go buying at random. So far web
>searches for the type M and H don't turn up much info about compatiblity.
>I can download from the camera with a cable but card readers are much
>faster.
>
> Thanks
>
> Doug

Xd cards are a pain in the butt. Download from the camera. Always format in
the camera.

ASAAR

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:21:49 -0500, Doug Robbins wrote:

> I recently bought a 1 GB Fuji Branded Type M XD flash card. My old Dazzle
> Zio xD reader doesn't seem to even recognize it, although the Zio works fine
> with my older xD cards. It is my understanding that the Type M and Type H
> xD cards use a different compression scheme than the older xD cards. Does
> anyone know of a card reader that is compatitble with the new types? I'd
> rather have some info than just go buying at random. So far web searches for
> the type M and H don't turn up much info about compatiblity. I can
> download from the camera with a cable but card readers are much faster.

I have Sandisk's "USB 12-in-1 Card Reader/Writer". It can be used
horizontally or place at an angle vertically in an included plastic
pedestal. The last item on the package's compatibility list states:

> xD and xD Type M and H

I have 1GB xD cards, both type M and type H and they all without
any problems, and files transfer much quicker than if I use my HP
computer's #@*&!%$ built-in card reader. Sandisk sells a cheaper,
smaller model that doesn't accept CF and some other card types, but
is also compatible with Type M and H xD cards. But be careful.
Only a couple of months ago stores were selling identically looking
Sandisk card readers, but the package information only said that
they were compatible with standard xD and Type M xD cards. Many
stores may still carry these older models. Late last year I bought
but had to return a Sandisk PCMCIA/CF adapter because it was
incompatible with Type H xD cards (when used with a CF/xD adapter).

Jack

[posted and mailed]

"Doug Robbins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:45aa74bb$0$5193$(E-Mail Removed):

> I recently bought a 1 GB Fuji Branded Type M XD flash card. My old
> Dazzle Zio xD reader doesn't seem to even recognize it, although the
> Zio works fine with my older xD cards. It is my understanding that
> the Type M and Type H xD cards use a different compression scheme than
> the older xD cards. Does anyone know of a card reader that is
> compatitble with the new types? I'd rather have some info than just
> go buying at random. So far web searches for the type M and H don't
> turn up much info about compatiblity. I can download from the camera
> with a cable but card readers are much faster.
>
> Thanks
>
> Doug

I had the same problem, as I recently bought 2 Type H Xd cards and couldn't
find a reader that worked with them. I found a Super Talent All in 1 Card
reader on Amazon and it works just fine. It was very inexpensive, less
than $15 including shipping.

tomcas

Doug Robbins wrote:
> I recently bought a 1 GB Fuji Branded Type M XD flash card. My old Dazzle
> Zio xD reader doesn't seem to even recognize it, although the Zio works fine
> with my older xD cards. It is my understanding that the Type M and Type H
> xD cards use a different compression scheme than the older xD cards. Does
> anyone know of a card reader that is compatitble with the new types? I'd
> rather have some info than just go buying at random. So far web searches for
> the type M and H don't turn up much info about compatiblity. I can
> download from the camera with a cable but card readers are much faster.
>
> Thanks
>
> Doug

According to page 14 of the linked compatibility chart most all of the
Olympus readers are compatible with H,M, and plain XD cards.
http://tinyurl.com/ybmg9t
Contrary to the chart the MAUSB-200 reader is available without a card.
http://www.abtelectronics.com/script....php3?id=22965

Doug Robbins

Thanks for the info.

Doug