Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony cybershot DSCS500 + HEWLET PACKARD Pavilion A1615 desktop.

Sony cybershot DSCS500 + HEWLET PACKARD Pavilion A1615 desktop.

alecalgo@madasafish.com

Sony cybershot DSCS500 + HEWLET PACKARD Pavilion A1615 desktop.
Hello there,
I am looking to replace my basic cheapo dial-up system (win98 running
on 1999 hardware) with another basic system ... This time though the
comp has to be capable of dealing with digi camera input ... (A sony
cybershot DSCS500 ... which is another cheapo (80) item in Comet's
sale ... which I MAY** ? buy). All I want from such a camera are
simple pictures for record purposes i.e. pictures of houses, rooms
...... car mechanical parts ... nothing much that is 'going to move'
---
One of the drawbacks with that Sony model is they eat batteries ...?
.... and the MS memory cards (Sony's own) are twice as much (35 for a
512mb) than the much more common SD ones.
My Question ... to anybody who would be kind enough to help ... does
the above camera/computer combination (see remarks below and comp spec)
make any kind of sense ? ... or is it all just to cheap and nasty. Can
anybody tell me also where the Sony DSCS500 fits into the Cybershot
family ... is it a bottom of the range basic ...? or a 'onetime great'
) but now superceded and hence discounted.
-------(computer)---------
Comet have the following 348 "reduced sale item" Comp (see spec at
bottom) advertised in the national press. It is obviously as basic a
machine as you can get ... fit for not much more than basic office
work, as Comet's own spiel says (I've been down for a print off). So
.... ? ..will it be any good for basic digi photo work ... the
processing of, storing and sending etc. I ask because of Comets own
rather negative note in their spec sheet .....
"Shared Graphics 256MB.............this is an economical solution that
borrows your computers main memory to use for graphics. Fine for basic
computing tasks but not powerful enough for digital photography, video
editing and gaming"
---
That is my main worry ... then it's very basic bottom of the pile Intel
Celeron 352 2.8Ghz processor ... is it up to it ?? Mind you it is a
hell of a step up from the 433 Mhz one on this old machine ...) (433
megahertz Intel Celeron 32 kilobyte primary memory cache 128 kilobyte
secondary memory cache ). And as I certainly don't do games or
video etc ... what would I need a fast processor for anyway ..?
---
Lastly, as I intend to remain on dial-up only, I will have to buy an
external modem as the Comet one has not got one .... neither has it a
floppy disc drive ( ... so how the hell I am going to be able to
transfer my 1gb of text files over to a new machine I just don't know
?? (can anybody give me some clues on what to do ..?.. my old machine
has no USB 2 or 1 port ... and certainly no 'writing to CD' facility).
I suppose I could alway laboriously get the main ones onto floppies
.... then go down to the library and use their comp to get them onto a
memory stick ...?
------------(comp spec)----------------
348 .....HEWLET PACKARD Pavilion A1615 desktop ... with 15" screen.
(in the ad it shows a wide screen ... so I'll challenge them on that
aspect ... ).
Processor : Intel Celeron 352 2.8Ghz
Processor bus 533 Mhz
Processor cache 512 kb
RAM 512 mb
Hard drive 160 GB
Optical drive ... 'plays and records CDs and DVDs'
2nd optical drive .... not got one
OS .... Windows XP media centre.....microsoft works
---
Shared Graphics 256MB............."An economical solution that borrows
your computers main memory to use for graphics. Fine for basic
computing tasks but not powerful enough for digital photography, video
editing and gaming"
---
7 USB 2 slots
Firewire ....yes
Media Card slots 9-in-1 Use cards from your digital camera - a
quick and easy way of getting your digital photos onto your PC
-------o0o---------
Hey aren't I just the cheapskate .... but when cash is short that's
what you've just got to do ...;-(( or do without ....
cheers
alec

ASAAR

On 12 Jan 2007 12:33:36 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Lastly, as I intend to remain on dial-up only, I will have to buy an
> external modem as the Comet one has not got one .... neither has it a
> floppy disc drive ( ... so how the hell I am going to be able to
> transfer my 1gb of text files over to a new machine I just don't know
> ?? (can anybody give me some clues on what to do ..?.. my old machine
> has no USB 2 or 1 port ... and certainly no 'writing to CD' facility).
> I suppose I could alway laboriously get the main ones onto floppies
> ... then go down to the library and use their comp to get them onto a
> memory stick ...?

Text files should compress very nicely, so you might be able to
get away with having to transfer only a small fraction of the 1GB if
you put the text files in zip archives. I'd have suggested using
one of several programs that once were used to transfer files
between computers using an included cable. Using parallel ports
would be much faster than serial ports, but the problem is that few
new computers have either serial *or* parallel ports. I once had a
card reader that connected to a parallel port, and if you can still
find one for your old computer your problem would be solved, since
you could copy the text files to a memory card and your new computer
probably has built-in card readers. A "small" 256MB card could be
bought for practically nothing but would require several transfers
(if you don't "zip" the files), but even a 1GB card wouldn't set you
back very much, probably $15 to $20, maybe less. Another solution
would be to use your computer's modem. If you don't have a website
that would allow files to be uploaded and downloaded and don't mind
the slight security risk, you could compress the text files into a
password several protected Zip archives, upload them to an
appropriate binary newsgroup using the old computer and download
them using the new computer.

Are you sure that you can't use a CD writer? They're very
inexpensive and are compatible with Win98 using the supplied Win98
drivers. You're not limited to using an internal drive. If you get
a USB plugin card for your computer you could get an external CD
writer that after you're finished with it for transferring the text
files, could be used as a second CD drive for your new computer. It
would have several practical uses, including debugging if you ever
have problems with your new computer's original CD drive.

Roy G

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
Sony cybershot DSCS500 + HEWLET PACKARD Pavilion A1615 desktop.
Hello there,

what you've just got to do ...;-(( or do without ....
cheers
alec

Hi there.

Your choice of machine is not all that bad, but have a look at PC World
website. They have a range of machines around that price, some of which
have graphic cards with inbuilt RAM, and some have faster processors

Be aware however that on all the HP machines the built in Card Readers are
dead slow, USB 1.1 only. So they are no bloody use.

For Photo processing the Graphic Card is not a critical
component, almost any old one would do. However if it is using system RAM,
that would have a serious slowing down effect.

Don't worry about the transfer of your old data. All you need to do is
switch off both machines, switch off at the wall sockets, but leave them
both plugged in. Remove the HDD with its flat data cable from your old
machine, and plug it onto the Main Board of your new one, and connect one of
the spare power supply cables to it. It does not even need to be bolted in,
and your machine will run quite happily with its cover panel/s off. After
you switch on again, your new one will show 2 HDDs, and you just copy and
paste from the old HDD to the new.

Any computer savvy teenager will do it for you.
Or pay PC World 25 to transfer the data for you.

Even if your new machine is a bit underpowered, it can easily be speeded up
by adding extra RAM, once you have some spare cash, and RAM is cheap
nowadays.

An internal dial up Modem can be bought for 15.

The general opinion is that cheapo flat panel monitors are not too good for
photo processing, a cheapo CRT would be much better.

Roy G