Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Looking for a decent lens for my D50

Looking for a decent lens for my D50

sgtdisturbed

Ok I just went through buying a lens kit (Sigma 18-50 & 55-200mm kit)
and was appalled at the lack of clarity at 18mm and at 200mm. I guess
paying 200 bucks for 2 lenses was too good to be true.

I am looking for a lens that zooms in to 200mm without loosing
clarity. I've seen sample pics of both the Tamron 18-200 and the Sigma
18-200, both of which were not very impressive although the Sigma
18-200 was far better than the Tamron, as far as the sample pics
showed.

I like having the ability of taking wide shots at 18mm, but seeing as
there is "barrel distortion" commonly associated with 18mm, I could
live with 20mm at the wide end of the lens, if that's available, and I
need it to reach out to 200mm. Clarity is priority, as it should be. Is
there a 20-200mm or 24-200mm lens that doesn't lose clarity at 200mm? I
have a budget and can't spend more than 300 dollars.

Rudy Benner

"sgtdisturbed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Ok I just went through buying a lens kit (Sigma 18-50 & 55-200mm kit)
> and was appalled at the lack of clarity at 18mm and at 200mm. I guess
> paying 200 bucks for 2 lenses was too good to be true.
>
> I am looking for a lens that zooms in to 200mm without loosing
> clarity. I've seen sample pics of both the Tamron 18-200 and the Sigma
> 18-200, both of which were not very impressive although the Sigma
> 18-200 was far better than the Tamron, as far as the sample pics
> showed.
>
> I like having the ability of taking wide shots at 18mm, but seeing as
> there is "barrel distortion" commonly associated with 18mm, I could
> live with 20mm at the wide end of the lens, if that's available, and I
> need it to reach out to 200mm. Clarity is priority, as it should be. Is
> there a 20-200mm or 24-200mm lens that doesn't lose clarity at 200mm? I
> have a budget and can't spend more than 300 dollars.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

You might consider the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens. It works perfectly with that
Nikon camera.

ASAAR

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:23:11 -0500, Rudy Benner wrote:

>> I have a budget and can't spend more than 300 dollars.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

> You might consider the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens. It works perfectly with
> that Nikon camera.

It would work well but it busts the sgt's budget by 2x to 3x,
which might *really* disturb him. Most dealers that have a few
available show none in stock, although they'll sell you one packaged
with a D200. I don't know if it's a special "kit" supplied by Nikon
(which would explain why the lens itself always is indicated as
being "out of stock" or "backordered") or if it's just packaged that
way by the dealers to help move a few more D200s. When I was in
fever mode several days ago, if the 18-200mm VR could have been
ordered with a D80 I might have succumbed. Now I've recovered and
am in "biding my time" mode once again.

Bill

"sgtdisturbed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Ok I just went through buying a lens kit (Sigma 18-50 & 55-200mm kit)
> and was appalled at the lack of clarity at 18mm and at 200mm. I guess
> paying 200 bucks for 2 lenses was too good to be true.

Unfortunately it's like the old saying, "if it sounds too good to be
true, it usually is", and the other one, "you get what you pay for".

> there a 20-200mm or 24-200mm lens that doesn't lose clarity at 200mm?

Sure, if you have the money.

> have a budget and can't spend more than 300 dollars.

Sorry, but you won't get a good lense that does what you want at that
price. Can you return the two Sigma lenses and put that money into
buying a decent lense like the Nikon 18-200 VR? I know it's a bit more
expensive, but at least it works well and it has VR for handheld
telephoto shots..

Or if you can't swing that price right now, how about getting a good
lense to cover the shorter end for now like the Nikon 18-70 DX. Then
save a while to get a good telephoto like the new 70-300 VR? The results
will be much better and well worth the cost. You'll see how good the D50
can be with those lenses.

sgtdisturbed

On Jan 12, 7:28 am, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "sgtdisturbed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> > Ok I just went through buying a lens kit (Sigma 18-50 & 55-200mm kit)
> > and was appalled at the lack of clarity at 18mm and at 200mm. I guess
> > paying 200 bucks for 2 lenses was too good to be true.

> Unfortunately it's like the old saying, "if it sounds too good to be
> true, it usually is", and the other one, "you get what you pay for".
>
> > there a 20-200mm or 24-200mm lens that doesn't lose clarity at 200mm?

> Sure, if you have the money.
>
> > have a budget and can't spend more than 300 dollars.

> Sorry, but you won't get a good lense that does what you want at that
> price. Can you return the two Sigma lenses and put that money into
> buying a decent lense like the Nikon 18-200 VR? I know it's a bit more
> expensive, but at least it works well and it has VR for handheld
> telephoto shots..
>
> Or if you can't swing that price right now, how about getting a good
> lense to cover the shorter end for now like the Nikon 18-70 DX. Then
> save a while to get a good telephoto like the new 70-300 VR? The results
> will be much better and well worth the cost. You'll see how good the D50
> can be with those lenses.

I did in fact jsut purchase the Nikon 18-70 DX lens, and it is friggin
amazing. I am sure glad I got it, as the picture quality is greatly
improved over my kit 28-80mm lens. I was able to score it on eBay for
250, brand new. I'm in love with it. I am looking at getting a 70-300
VR, probably on eBay as those auctions tend to bring the price down
some, especially if one manages to fly under the radar.

Rich

On Jan 11, 7:52 pm, "sgtdisturbed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ok I just went through buying a lens kit (Sigma 18-50 & 55-200mm kit)
> and was appalled at the lack of clarity at 18mm and at 200mm. I guess
> paying 200 bucks for 2 lenses was too good to be true.
>
> I am looking for a lens that zooms in to 200mm without loosing
> clarity. I've seen sample pics of both the Tamron 18-200 and the Sigma
> 18-200, both of which were not very impressive although the Sigma
> 18-200 was far better than the Tamron, as far as the sample pics
> showed.
>
> I like having the ability of taking wide shots at 18mm, but seeing as
> there is "barrel distortion" commonly associated with 18mm, I could
> live with 20mm at the wide end of the lens, if that's available, and I
> need it to reach out to 200mm. Clarity is priority, as it should be. Is
> there a 20-200mm or 24-200mm lens that doesn't lose clarity at 200mm? I
> have a budget and can't spend more than 300 dollars.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

10:1 zoom and you want high quality images? Good luck.