Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Dark EVF when trying to frame low light shots

Dark EVF when trying to frame low light shots

VicTek

I have the FZ20. It makes sense that if there's not much light in the room
the EVF would be dark, but can this be adjusted to some degree? The
pictures taken with the flash are in focus and properly exposed, but it's
hard to frame the shot.

ForrestPhoto@gmail.com

> I have the FZ20. It makes sense that if there's not much light in the room
> the EVF would be dark, but can this be adjusted to some degree? The
> pictures taken with the flash are in focus and properly exposed, but it's
> hard to frame the shot.

Are you using the onboard flash? Some have an autofocus assist beam,
sort of like a flashlight - you might be able to work something like
that out?

Bob Williams

VicTek wrote:
> I have the FZ20. It makes sense that if there's not much light in the room
> the EVF would be dark, but can this be adjusted to some degree? The
> pictures taken with the flash are in focus and properly exposed, but it's
> hard to frame the shot.

Menu > Setup > Monitor/Finder > Adjust Brightness.
Be sure to return to original brightness after you are finished shooting
in subdued lighting.
Bob Williams

Randy Berbaum

VicTek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: I have the FZ20. It makes sense that if there's not much light in the
: room the EVF would be dark, but can this be adjusted to some degree?
: The pictures taken with the flash are in focus and properly exposed,
: but it's hard to frame the shot.

One trick I have used a time or two. I have one of those headband mounted
LED flashlights that swivels. I aim the light on my head toward some light
colored part of the subject (pref not the face of the subject because it
tends to make them flinch and squint) and use this one lighted point to
adjust the framing. I also tend to take a wider shot than otherwise. Then
I crop down to the desired framing in post production.

BTW I also try to aim the light at something that I am not planning on
putting in the center of the frame as this lighted object can fool the
meter into thinking the subject is properly lit all over.

One other advantage of this headlight. It makes it easier to read the LCD
displays without a backlight on my camera.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

VicTek

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> I have the FZ20. It makes sense that if there's not much light in the
>> room
>> the EVF would be dark, but can this be adjusted to some degree? The
>> pictures taken with the flash are in focus and properly exposed, but it's
>> hard to frame the shot.

> Are you using the onboard flash? Some have an autofocus assist beam,
> sort of like a flashlight - you might be able to work something like
> that out?

Yes, I'm using the onboard flash. The FZ20 does have an autofocus assist
beam which is ON. I do see the beam initially, but it is faint and turns
off as soon as the focus is established so it doesn't help much. Actually
the real problem is not centering the shot - it's being unable to see
people's faces. This sometimes results in less than complimentary facial
expressions <g>.

VicTek

"Bob Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rzooh.41742$(E-Mail Removed)...

> VicTek wrote:
>> I have the FZ20. It makes sense that if there's not much light in the
>> room the EVF would be dark, but can this be adjusted to some degree? The
>> pictures taken with the flash are in focus and properly exposed, but it's
>> hard to frame the shot.

> Menu > Setup > Monitor/Finder > Adjust Brightness.
> Be sure to return to original brightness after you are finished shooting
> in subdued lighting.
> Bob Williams

Yes, I see this option. I will give it a try, thanks!

Frank ess

>> I have the FZ20. It makes sense that if there's not much light in
>> the room the EVF would be dark, but can this be adjusted to some
>> degree? The pictures taken with the flash are in focus and
>> properly
>> exposed, but it's hard to frame the shot.

> Are you using the onboard flash? Some have an autofocus assist
> beam,
> sort of like a flashlight - you might be able to work something like
> that out?

A few years back there was someone who solved this problem by affixing
a small light to the camera. It was activated by a single press for
focusing; releasing the button quenched the light and the focused
camera could take an undisturbed photo.

My EVF cameras (Nikon CP5700, 8700, 5000) all seemed to have some kind
of compensation mechanism that brightened the EVF image beyond all
rationality; plenty bright for framing, autofocus seemed to work well,
but bore little relationship to light levels in the view or the
resultant image.

--
Frank ess

David Ruether

"VicTek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:1Djoh.11941$(E-Mail Removed) om...

>I have the FZ20. It makes sense that if there's not much light in the room the EVF would be dark, but can this be adjusted to some
>degree? The pictures taken with the flash are in focus and properly exposed, but it's hard to frame the shot.

Not useful for you (but brightening the EVF in the menu may be),
but the Sony 707/717 uses an interesting solution that permits
framing in total darkness. In a special mode, the IR light is on
and the camera is in IR mode for viewing, but just as you take
the picture the camera goes to normal color mode with flash.
Neat!
--
David Ruether
(E-Mail Removed)