Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Stereoscopic Bug Nebula

Reply
Thread Tools

Stereoscopic Bug Nebula

 
 
tontoko
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-03-2007
In the following website;

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/i...e=post&id=2790

the image shown is the stereograph of Bug Nebula (NGC 6302) synthesized
by
Stereographer (original image: HST).

For detail of Stereographer, visit;

http://139.134.5.123/tiddler2/stereo...tereograph.htm

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kevin McMurtrie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"tontoko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In the following website;
>
> http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/i...e=post&id=2790
>
> the image shown is the stereograph of Bug Nebula (NGC 6302) synthesized
> by
> Stereographer (original image: HST).
>
> For detail of Stereographer, visit;
>
> http://139.134.5.123/tiddler2/stereo...tereograph.htm


I don't think even the Hubble's DOF is shallow enough for that trick to
work right.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
tontoko
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2007
Surely there isn't parallax enough to cause stereoscopic effect since
every star or galaxy has virtually "infinite" distance from the camera.


My software converts the dimness of the image to the distance from the
camera. Practically the galaxy or nebula is thought to have some
fractal structure and it causes blurry on the image taken by the camera
when the part of it is more distant from other parts.

The following image is an example of synthesized stereograph for a
fractal structure. As seen on it, more detailed, more distant it looks
like.

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/i...e=post&id=2049

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> "tontoko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In the following website;
> >
> > http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/i...e=post&id=2790
> >
> > the image shown is the stereograph of Bug Nebula (NGC 6302) synthesized
> > by
> > Stereographer (original image: HST).
> >
> > For detail of Stereographer, visit;
> >
> > http://139.134.5.123/tiddler2/stereo...tereograph.htm

>
> I don't think even the Hubble's DOF is shallow enough for that trick to
> work right.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan Hoyle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2007
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:56:14 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

> I don't think even the Hubble's DOF is shallow enough for that trick to
> work right.


The Hubble is approximately 57,600mm f24. I'm not sure how big the 4x
CCDs are, though each is only 800x800 resolution. (2.56 MP total).
It might be hard to find an adapter to mount one on your body.

-a

--
Alan Hoyle - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
"I don't want the world, I just want your half." -TMBG
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel Silevitch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2007
On 4 Jan 2007 20:01:50 GMT, Alan Hoyle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:56:14 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
>
>> I don't think even the Hubble's DOF is shallow enough for that trick to
>> work right.

>
> The Hubble is approximately 57,600mm f24. I'm not sure how big the 4x
> CCDs are, though each is only 800x800 resolution. (2.56 MP total).
> It might be hard to find an adapter to mount one on your body.


Are you sure about that?

Here are the specs for ACS, currently one of the main cameras on Hubble:

http://adcam.pha.jhu.edu/instrument/overview/

Wide Field Camera
The Wide Field Camera (WFC) will be a high throughput, wide field,
optical and near-infrared (I band) camera.

This channel will be optimized for surveys in the near-infrared to
search for galaxies and clusters of galaxies in the early universe.

350 - 1050 nanometer spectral response
202" x 202" field of view
0.049" pixel size
2 butted 2048x4096, 15 um/pixel CCD detectors
45% throughput at 700 nanometers (including the HST optical telescope
assembly (OTA) )
half critically sampled at 500 nanometers
three mirror optical design (overcoated silver)

High Resolution Channel
The High Resolution Camera (HRC) is designed for high angular resolution
imaging and coronography. The HRC optical path will include a
coronagraph which will improve the HST contrast near bright objects by
about a factor of ten.

This channel will be used for diffraction-limited studies of the light
in the centers of galaxies with massive black holes, as well as ordinary
galaxies, star clusters, and gaseous nebulae.

200 - 1050 nanometer spectral response
29.1" x 26.1" field of view
0.028"x0.025" pixel size
1024x1024, 21 um/pixel, near UV-enhanced CCD detector
25% throughput at 600 nanometers
critically sampled at 500 nanometers
three mirror optical design (MgF2 on Aluminum)

So, a 16 MP imager, and a 1MP imager with finer spatial resolution. Note
that pixel size is specified both in microns and in arc-seconds; most of
the users will care more about the latter.

-dms
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan Hoyle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2007
On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 21:05:31 GMT, Daniel Silevitch wrote:
> On 4 Jan 2007 20:01:50 GMT, Alan Hoyle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:56:14 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think even the Hubble's DOF is shallow enough for that trick to
>>> work right.

>>
>> The Hubble is approximately 57,600mm f24. I'm not sure how big the 4x
>> CCDs are, though each is only 800x800 resolution. (2.56 MP total).
>> It might be hard to find an adapter to mount one on your body.


> Are you sure about that?


> Here are the specs for ACS, currently one of the main cameras on Hubble:


> http://adcam.pha.jhu.edu/instrument/overview/


I was talking about the WFPC2:

http://hubblesite.org/the_telescope/...ruments/wfpc2/

It seems that we're both correct.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - (E-Mail Removed) - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
"I don't want the world, I just want your half." -TMBG
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel Silevitch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2007
On 4 Jan 2007 21:42:29 GMT, Alan Hoyle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 21:05:31 GMT, Daniel Silevitch wrote:
>> On 4 Jan 2007 20:01:50 GMT, Alan Hoyle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:56:14 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
>>>
>>>> I don't think even the Hubble's DOF is shallow enough for that trick to
>>>> work right.
>>>
>>> The Hubble is approximately 57,600mm f24. I'm not sure how big the 4x
>>> CCDs are, though each is only 800x800 resolution. (2.56 MP total).
>>> It might be hard to find an adapter to mount one on your body.

>
>> Are you sure about that?

>
>> Here are the specs for ACS, currently one of the main cameras on Hubble:

>
>> http://adcam.pha.jhu.edu/instrument/overview/

>
> I was talking about the WFPC2:
>
> http://hubblesite.org/the_telescope/...ruments/wfpc2/
>
> It seems that we're both correct.


Fair enough. ACS sprang immediately to mind since I used to work down
the hall from one of the main development groups on the project, and I
was pretty sure even before checking that it had well over 1 megapixel
per chip.

-dms
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stereoscopic Bubble Nebula tontoko Digital Photography 4 03-03-2007 12:11 PM
Stereoscopic Helix Nebula tontoko Digital Photography 0 02-01-2007 12:54 PM
Stereoscopic Cone Nebula tontoko Digital Photography 0 01-30-2007 01:25 PM
Stereoscopic Crab Nebula tontoko Digital Photography 1 01-21-2007 06:19 PM
Stereoscopic Boomerang Nebula tontoko Digital Photography 0 12-25-2006 11:36 AM



Advertisments