Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > how come i lost all my photos

how come i lost all my photos

dr.kaizar@gmail.com

I've samsung Digimax i6PMP.recently I had been to Hongkong I took 60
fotos which i downloaded from memorycard to computer on Digimax master
softwere. I saved it on seperate file.On restarting my computer there
is no trace of photographs even picasa also didn't find from HD.
morover instead of copying fotos were directly transefered from memory
card so I have lost everything.What to do now

Cgiorgio

Hope you did not use your camera meanwhile. Get an SD card reader to hook up
to your computer. Use a flash revocery utility (like the one from
www.vaiosoft.com). When transferring your pictures, the directory
information on your SD - card has been altered, but the files themselves are
very likely still intact and can be recovered with such software.

<(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I've samsung Digimax i6PMP.recently I had been to Hongkong I took 60
> fotos which i downloaded from memorycard to computer on Digimax master
> softwere. I saved it on seperate file.On restarting my computer there
> is no trace of photographs even picasa also didn't find from HD.
> morover instead of copying fotos were directly transefered from memory
> card so I have lost everything.What to do now

Dave Cohen

Cgiorgio wrote:
> Hope you did not use your camera meanwhile. Get an SD card reader to hook up
> to your computer. Use a flash revocery utility (like the one from
> www.vaiosoft.com). When transferring your pictures, the directory
> information on your SD - card has been altered, but the files themselves are
> very likely still intact and can be recovered with such software.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> I've samsung Digimax i6PMP.recently I had been to Hongkong I took 60
>> fotos which i downloaded from memorycard to computer on Digimax master
>> softwere. I saved it on seperate file.On restarting my computer there
>> is no trace of photographs even picasa also didn't find from HD.
>> morover instead of copying fotos were directly transefered from memory
>> card so I have lost everything.What to do now

Also, I don't know what you mean by saving to separate file, but chances
are it's still there. Do a search if you know the filename.
Dave Cohen

Lionel

On 2 Jan 2007 11:07:19 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I've samsung Digimax i6PMP.recently I had been to Hongkong I took 60
>fotos which i downloaded from memorycard to computer on Digimax master
>softwere. I saved it on seperate file.On restarting my computer there
>is no trace of photographs even picasa also didn't find from HD.
>morover instead of copying fotos were directly transefered from memory
>card so I have lost everything.What to do now

Get in the habit of making backups. Also; copy photos from your camera
instead of 'moving' them. Don't delete your photos from your memeory
card/camera until you've verified that you can open the copied files
on your computer (Irfanviews thumbnail tool is good for this) *AND*
you've made a backup copy of the files from the computer.

No matter how often people are told that digital files are fragile, &
how important is is to make backups immediately - not 'tommorrow', or
'next week', but NOW - they never take it seriously until they lose
some data they really care about. So, be grateful you only lost 60
mpix - imagine how you'd feel if it was 5 years worth of hard work.

Roy G

"Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2 Jan 2007 11:07:19 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I've samsung Digimax i6PMP.recently I had been to Hongkong I took 60
>>fotos which i downloaded from memorycard to computer on Digimax master
>>softwere. I saved it on seperate file.On restarting my computer there
>>is no trace of photographs even picasa also didn't find from HD.
>>morover instead of copying fotos were directly transefered from memory
>>card so I have lost everything.What to do now

> Get in the habit of making backups. Also; copy photos from your camera
> instead of 'moving' them. Don't delete your photos from your memeory
> card/camera until you've verified that you can open the copied files
> on your computer (Irfanviews thumbnail tool is good for this) *AND*
> you've made a backup copy of the files from the computer.
>
> No matter how often people are told that digital files are fragile, &
> how important is is to make backups immediately - not 'tommorrow', or
> 'next week', but NOW - they never take it seriously until they lose
> some data they really care about. So, be grateful you only lost 60
> mpix - imagine how you'd feel if it was 5 years worth of hard work.

Very good advice.

It might also be worthwhile learning how to copy from your camera to your
HDD without using any software other than your Operating System. Or even
better by using a Card Reader.

That way YOU will choose which Folder to copy into, so the images will be
much less likely to get mislaid, and they will not be deleted from the Card
until YOU decide.

Roy G

Ron Hunter

Roy G wrote:
> "Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 2 Jan 2007 11:07:19 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> I've samsung Digimax i6PMP.recently I had been to Hongkong I took 60
>>> fotos which i downloaded from memorycard to computer on Digimax master
>>> softwere. I saved it on seperate file.On restarting my computer there
>>> is no trace of photographs even picasa also didn't find from HD.
>>> morover instead of copying fotos were directly transefered from memory
>>> card so I have lost everything.What to do now

>> Get in the habit of making backups. Also; copy photos from your camera
>> instead of 'moving' them. Don't delete your photos from your memeory
>> card/camera until you've verified that you can open the copied files
>> on your computer (Irfanviews thumbnail tool is good for this) *AND*
>> you've made a backup copy of the files from the computer.
>>
>> No matter how often people are told that digital files are fragile, &
>> how important is is to make backups immediately - not 'tommorrow', or
>> 'next week', but NOW - they never take it seriously until they lose
>> some data they really care about. So, be grateful you only lost 60
>> mpix - imagine how you'd feel if it was 5 years worth of hard work.
>>

> Very good advice.
>
> It might also be worthwhile learning how to copy from your camera to your
> HDD without using any software other than your Operating System. Or even
> better by using a Card Reader.
>
> That way YOU will choose which Folder to copy into, so the images will be
> much less likely to get mislaid, and they will not be deleted from the Card
> until YOU decide.
>
> Roy G

A few years ago I had the unfortunate experience of coming back from a
vacation to find my HD would not restart. I lost all the pictures I had
on the HD. Now my pictures are copied to three computers and backed up
to an external HD as well. Once bitten, twice shy.