Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Re: Belkin USB Wireless Network Device/ XP SP1&2 - Not working

Re: Belkin USB Wireless Network Device/ XP SP1&2 - Not working

Quaoar

"Michael need your help with Belkin USB"
<(E-Mail Removed) osoft.com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Guys
>
> Will be most appreciative if you could give advice: Purchased USB
> Wireless
> Network device using XP SP2 - This runs fine on my HP/Compaq
> notebooks-
> however will not work on my desktop. Used SP1 and didn't work so
> upgraded to
> SP2 with no succsess, USB2 port - XP restarts continuously and
> apologises for
> the inconvenience - if I see this message one more time - I'm gonna
> throw the
> pc out the damn window. Please help!!!

Boot to safe mode, Fn-F8 repeatedly at start. Remove the offending
device from Device Manager, Show hidden devices. Run sfc /scannow from
a command prompt. Have your install CD handy if there is no i386 folder
on the HD. This should take care of the immediate error problem and let
you install the device without hassle.

BTW, I think running sfc prior to installing SP2 is a good idea to
verify SP1 files in case a reversion is necessary.

Quaoar

"Michael need your help with Belkin USB"
<(E-Mail Removed) osoft.com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Quaoar, Thanks for responding and your advice .
>
> I have managed to install the device, but now the system crashes once
> the
> device connects to the network. Any other suggestions would be
> appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> "Quaoar" wrote:
>

>> "Michael need your help with Belkin USB"
>> <(E-Mail Removed) osoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi Guys
>> >
>> > Will be most appreciative if you could give advice: Purchased USB
>> > Wireless
>> > Network device using XP SP2 - This runs fine on my HP/Compaq
>> > notebooks-
>> > however will not work on my desktop. Used SP1 and didn't work so
>> > upgraded to
>> > SP2 with no succsess, USB2 port - XP restarts continuously and
>> > apologises for
>> > the inconvenience - if I see this message one more time - I'm gonna
>> > throw the
>> > pc out the damn window. Please help!!!

>> Boot to safe mode, Fn-F8 repeatedly at start. Remove the offending
>> device from Device Manager, Show hidden devices. Run sfc /scannow
>> from
>> a command prompt. Have your install CD handy if there is no i386
>> folder
>> on the HD. This should take care of the immediate error problem and
>> let
>> you install the device without hassle.
>>
>> BTW, I think running sfc prior to installing SP2 is a good idea to
>> verify SP1 files in case a reversion is necessary.

Did you follow the vendor's installation to the letter? You might try
again, disable your anti-virus, remove the device, and try a fresh
install. Check also device manager/Show hidden devices, and see if
there are other instances of the device installed and remove them and
reboot before trying another install.