Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Uploading to internet for storage while travelling

Uploading to internet for storage while travelling

Lobster

I shall be travelling from the UK to the USA/Canada for an extended trip
during 2007,and am looking at options for safe storage of the many
digital photos I intend to take! We're not taking a computer with us
(other than a Blackberry) but will have internet access for much of the
time - I envisage simply taking the camera (and possibly an SD card
reader) together with a USB lead and plugging in into whatever PC we're
at, and uploading them to somewhere safe, for retrieval when we get
home. This means we could travel light, and also not have the worry
about losing equipment and photos while away.

One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for
1000 photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per photo!?

My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
rules out other options.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rudy Benner

"Lobster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ClUlh.22294$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I shall be travelling from the UK to the USA/Canada for an extended trip
>during 2007,and am looking at options for safe storage of the many digital
>photos I intend to take! We're not taking a computer with us (other than a
>Blackberry) but will have internet access for much of the time - I envisage
>simply taking the camera (and possibly an SD card reader) together with a
>USB lead and plugging in into whatever PC we're at, and uploading them to
>somewhere safe, for retrieval when we get home. This means we could travel
>light, and also not have the worry about losing equipment and photos while
>away.
>
> One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
> email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for 1000
> photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per photo!?
>
> My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
> can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
> rules out other options.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

You want to look at a hosting service. Prices are reasonable.

This is who I use, there are many others ...

http://www.hostexcellence.com/

The smallest account includes 5 gig storage. If you need more, bigger
accounts are available.

You want to setup an FTP account for yourself.

Accessing the account from a public PC will be via a link similar to
something like

ftp://rudybenner.com/

where you will be asked for a username and password.

A friend and his colleague recently went to Russia, I had setup an account
for him, they used this method to transfer to the account, while his wife
downloaded using the same method. Several thousand pictures were transferred
by this method.

If you want a demo, email me at rudy at rudybenner dot com

Robert

Try one (or all) of these:

www.xdrive.com (5GB Free)
www.mediamax.com (25GB Free but with upload/download limits)
www.box.net (1GB Free)
www.mozy.com (2GB Free)

In article <ClUlh.22294$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lobster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I shall be travelling from the UK to the USA/Canada for an extended trip
> during 2007,and am looking at options for safe storage of the many
> digital photos I intend to take! We're not taking a computer with us
> (other than a Blackberry) but will have internet access for much of the
> time - I envisage simply taking the camera (and possibly an SD card
> reader) together with a USB lead and plugging in into whatever PC we're
> at, and uploading them to somewhere safe, for retrieval when we get
> home. This means we could travel light, and also not have the worry
> about losing equipment and photos while away.
>
> One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
> email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for
> 1000 photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per photo!?
>
> My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
> can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
> rules out other options.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Ken Lucke

In article <ClUlh.22294$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lobster
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I shall be travelling from the UK to the USA/Canada for an extended trip
> during 2007,and am looking at options for safe storage of the many
> digital photos I intend to take! We're not taking a computer with us
> (other than a Blackberry) but will have internet access for much of the
> time - I envisage simply taking the camera (and possibly an SD card
> reader) together with a USB lead and plugging in into whatever PC we're
> at, and uploading them to somewhere safe, for retrieval when we get
> home. This means we could travel light, and also not have the worry
> about losing equipment and photos while away.
>
> One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
> email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for
> 1000 photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per photo!?

You don't have to limit to one email per photo, but you do have to take
into account that many mail servers have a maximum total size for any
mail that they refuse to exceed, thus you arelimited by the total size
of all the attachments. However, mail is, as you say, a very
inefficient way of doing this, and you also have to remember that your
ISP will also be limiting your total mailbox size (not sure exactly
what those limits are with gmail), so you could end up with them
clearing it out and losing all your photos if you exceed their limits.

> My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
> can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
> rules out other options.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Yes, if you are really serious about being reasonably secure in not
losing photos:

Purchase a domain and have it hosted on a third party server - I
recommend pair.com, which is who I have used for the last 10 years or
so. You don't have to put up a website or anything if you don't feel
like it (you could always do so later) - just use the storage.

You can then use sFTP, SSH, or other secure connection method (remember
that some internet cafés may be maliciously monitoring you without your
permission, so always use secure methods of transmitting your
passwords/data) to upload your pictures into your own directory.

Also, this has the advantage in that most web server hosting companies
do their own regular backups, so you've got that security as well.
You can also set up with friends to access your shell account while you
are gone to download your stuff and archive it for you (buy an external
drive for them to use exclusively for your photos). Plus, you can
always download yourt files again whenever you want while on the road.

I pay $10/year per domain name (but I get it at cost+donation from a
colleague who does DNS registration through OpenSRS, so yours would be
more like $20/year). I pay about $125/year (after discounts for
paying 12 months at a time) for the webserver + shell account + FTP/SSH
access. I also host about a dozen other sites with their own domain
names on the same server for my businesses and friends, and they help
defray my costs, so that looks higher than it actually is. You don't
even absoilutely HAVE to have a domain name - you can access your
server (http, ftp, ssh, or any other method) by using the assigned IP
address that the hosting company will give you, so you can save that
little expense if you desire.

If you are factoring ALL of this into the overall cost of your trip,
it's minimal - total of under $500 (and THAT's including the purchase
of an 250GB or larger external drive as mentioned above) for a year's
- a dozen dinners at a McD's instead of a fancy restaurant.

I would also take an external CD/DVD burner with you and burn copies of
your files and then snail-mail them to yourself at home for additional
security - plus, you could keep small .jpg copies with you at all times
for review/display on your CD/DVDs.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

Tony Gartshore

In article <ClUlh.22294$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
> email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for
> 1000 photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per photo!?
>
> My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
> can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
> rules out other options.
>
> Any ideas?

One of the perpetual problems..

If we don't have a laptop with us I take a 40GB image tank which reads
CF cards directly. Alternatively I can use my MP3 player, which has USB
host function, in conjunction with the camera or a card reader. Only USB
1.1 though so uploading a 1 GB card is a pain. On the other hand it
takes RAW files which the (elderly) image tank does not..

My daughter has been travelling in SE Asia for the last six months and
we set up an old PC to act as an FTP server at home (Dead easy to do).
Trouble is that upload speeds from most Internet Cafes is pretty poor.

A lot depends on how long you are travelling for, but I would probably
suggest picking up a cheap image tank of some sort and getting the files
burnt onto CD or DVD as and when you can. Burn two copies, keep one
with you and mail one home or to a friend/family member.

Depending on how many photographs you intend taking, you might get away
with buying half a dozen 1GB cards and burning to CD once a week.. With
cards going for around a tenner each it's a viable option.

Not an answer, but a few alternatives to think about.

T.
> Thanks

Rudy Benner

"Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try one (or all) of these:
>
> www.xdrive.com (5GB Free)
> www.mediamax.com (25GB Free but with upload/download limits)
> www.box.net (1GB Free)
> www.mozy.com (2GB Free)

Almost seems to good to be true. Gotta check it out.

RonB

If you expect to have access to computers, why not pack a handful of CDs or
DVDs? They do not take much space. We do normally carry a laptop, but on
occasion we use the services of local libraries for pc use. You could
download to the pc over to disk and you're finished. No fees (well, some
libraries do charge a dollar or two).

RonB

"Lobster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ClUlh.22294$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I shall be travelling from the UK to the USA/Canada for an extended trip
>during 2007,and am looking at options for safe storage of the many digital
>photos I intend to take! We're not taking a computer with us (other than a
>Blackberry) but will have internet access for much of the time - I envisage
>simply taking the camera (and possibly an SD card reader) together with a
>USB lead and plugging in into whatever PC we're at, and uploading them to
>somewhere safe, for retrieval when we get home. This means we could travel
>light, and also not have the worry about losing equipment and photos while
>away.
>
> One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
> email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for 1000
> photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per photo!?
>
> My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
> can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
> rules out other options.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

ray

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 19:39:14 +0000, Lobster wrote:

> I shall be travelling from the UK to the USA/Canada for an extended trip
> during 2007,and am looking at options for safe storage of the many
> digital photos I intend to take! We're not taking a computer with us
> (other than a Blackberry) but will have internet access for much of the
> time - I envisage simply taking the camera (and possibly an SD card
> reader) together with a USB lead and plugging in into whatever PC we're
> at, and uploading them to somewhere safe, for retrieval when we get
> home. This means we could travel light, and also not have the worry
> about losing equipment and photos while away.
>
> One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
> email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for
> 1000 photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per photo!?
>
> My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
> can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
> rules out other options.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

One other option would be a personal web site from a commercial web host
like netfirms.com. You could upload via ftp to you web site. Another
option only slightly more convenient than taking a computer would be a
portable external drive or one of the external units which attaches to the
camera to download pics.

Al Dykes

In article <ClUlh.22294$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lobster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I shall be travelling from the UK to the USA/Canada for an extended trip
>during 2007,and am looking at options for safe storage of the many
>digital photos I intend to take! We're not taking a computer with us
>(other than a Blackberry) but will have internet access for much of the
>time - I envisage simply taking the camera (and possibly an SD card
>reader) together with a USB lead and plugging in into whatever PC we're
>at, and uploading them to somewhere safe, for retrieval when we get
>home. This means we could travel light, and also not have the worry
>about losing equipment and photos while away.
>
>One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
>email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for
>1000 photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per photo!?
>
>My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
>can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
>rules out other options.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks

I've just heard someone I tend to trust say good things about this
online backup service. I haven't played with it yet.

http://www.carbonite.com/

I have no relationship to Carbonite. I'm not even a customer, yet.

You can get google accounts for free, at 2GB each, I guess.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
Harrison for Congress in NY 13CD www.harrison06.com

Rudy Benner

"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:en99d0$dm9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <ClUlh.22294$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Lobster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I shall be travelling from the UK to the USA/Canada for an extended trip
>>during 2007,and am looking at options for safe storage of the many
>>digital photos I intend to take! We're not taking a computer with us
>>(other than a Blackberry) but will have internet access for much of the
>>time - I envisage simply taking the camera (and possibly an SD card
>>reader) together with a USB lead and plugging in into whatever PC we're
>>at, and uploading them to somewhere safe, for retrieval when we get
>>home. This means we could travel light, and also not have the worry
>>about losing equipment and photos while away.
>>
>>One option I wondered about was to access my gmail account and simply
>>email the pictures to myself at that account (that would account for
>>1000 photos at 3Mb); however it would be very tortuous - 1 email per
>>photo!?
>>
>>My ISP only gives my 55Mb of webspace which wouldn't last long! and I
>>can't really leave a PC switched on at home 24/7 while I'm away, which
>>rules out other options.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks

> I've just heard someone I tend to trust say good things about this
> online backup service. I haven't played with it yet.
>
> http://www.carbonite.com/
>
> I have no relationship to Carbonite. I'm not even a customer, yet.
>
> You can get google accounts for free, at 2GB each, I guess.
>

> --
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
> Harrison for Congress in NY 13CD www.harrison06.com
> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001

Keep in mind that the OP wants to be able to access from ANY PC in any
location. This means no installed software requirement.