Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Question re Kodak C533 shutter delay

Question re Kodak C533 shutter delay

carol

I got a Kodak C533 digital camera for Christmas, but I've noticed that
there is a significant delay after you push the shutter button, so the
camera is always "too late" to capture the moment - compared with all
the film cameras I've owned. I've tried the "sport" mode for objects
in motion - thinking it would be different - but it does the same
thing. Should I ditch this camera and go to another brand? (What brand
doesn't do this? Canon? Nikon?)
Thanks for any input.

Ron Hunter

carol wrote:
> I got a Kodak C533 digital camera for Christmas, but I've noticed that
> there is a significant delay after you push the shutter button, so the
> camera is always "too late" to capture the moment - compared with all
> the film cameras I've owned. I've tried the "sport" mode for objects
> in motion - thinking it would be different - but it does the same
> thing. Should I ditch this camera and go to another brand? (What brand
> doesn't do this? Canon? Nikon?)
> Thanks for any input.

Read the manual!
Most digital cameras require a different technique for taking pictures
than film.
First, frame your shot. Then depress the shutter button 1/2 way, and
wait for the ready light to come on. The squeeze the button the rest of
the way down. YOu will find that the picture is taken quite promptly then.

Ken Lucke

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, carol
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I got a Kodak C533 digital camera for Christmas, but I've noticed that
> there is a significant delay after you push the shutter button, so the
> camera is always "too late" to capture the moment - compared with all
> the film cameras I've owned. I've tried the "sport" mode for objects
> in motion - thinking it would be different - but it does the same
> thing. Should I ditch this camera and go to another brand? (What brand
> doesn't do this? Canon? Nikon?)
> Thanks for any input.

This is inherent in virtually every P&S camera out there. The
[simplified] reason behind it is that to give you a live back display
on the P&S camera, the sensor has to be active and relaying data to
that display. Then when you go to take the picture, the sensor has to
be shut off, its buffer (electonic memory) has to be flushed (cleared
or zeroed) and then has to be renabled to actually take the picture.
All this takes time. In a film camera (or a DSLR), all that has to
happen is that the shutter snaps open and closed again.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

Stewy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
carol <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I got a Kodak C533 digital camera for Christmas, but I've noticed that
> there is a significant delay after you push the shutter button, so the
> camera is always "too late" to capture the moment - compared with all
> the film cameras I've owned. I've tried the "sport" mode for objects
> in motion - thinking it would be different - but it does the same
> thing. Should I ditch this camera and go to another brand? (What brand
> doesn't do this? Canon? Nikon?)
> Thanks for any input.

The delay is often due to the camera's autofocus. If you have a manual
focus setting, the delay will be reduced considerably.