Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help!!! Image sizes.

Help!!! Image sizes.

MurrayW

As others have mentioned you will need to do constrained cropping to a
specific size. After using many freeware programs I did not find any
that could do this but then again, maybe there was a technique I was
unaware of how to use. Because of that, I did some searching for other
programs. I obtained Photoshop Elements 2 but did not care all that
much for it.

Having learned about the Microsoft Digital Image Pro imaging software,
I did a trial of their DIP 10 and then checked around EBay for a full
version of it. Because the new version DIP 2006 is available with a 60
day trial, the previous version is very in expensive on EBay. I'd
expect the 2006 version to be available there also. DIP 10 is a very
nice and quite easy to use program. Perhaps not quite as powerful as
PSE 5 but maybe more user friendly. Check it out and do Custom cropping
and select from a list the size and shape you want, drag the mouse and
place the shape over the original to create the best image you can via
the constraints of the format selected.

MW

Petaman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently ordered some 6x4 prints from Jessops' in-store digital photo
> maker. When I received the prints I noticed that they had all been
> cropped in such a way that some of the image was missing from the top
> and bottom.
> Therefore can you please advise me as to the best height to width ratio
> (i.e. when the width is x the height should be y) for images to be so
> that when they are printed in 6x4 they are not cropped?
> The original image from the camera is 2816x2112 pixels.
>

> Many Thanks
>
> Andrew

David Azose

Petaman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently ordered some 6x4 prints from Jessops' in-store digital photo
> maker. When I received the prints I noticed that they had all been
> cropped in such a way that some of the image was missing from the top
> and bottom.
> Therefore can you please advise me as to the best height to width ratio
> (i.e. when the width is x the height should be y) for images to be so
> that when they are printed in 6x4 they are not cropped?
> The original image from the camera is 2816x2112 pixels.
>

> Many Thanks
>
> Andrew

The shape of your file is different from the shape of the paper. So
cropping is inevitable.

David A.

Justin C

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
David Azose <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Petaman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently ordered some 6x4 prints from Jessops' in-store digital photo
> > maker. When I received the prints I noticed that they had all been
> > cropped in such a way that some of the image was missing from the top
> > and bottom.
> > Therefore can you please advise me as to the best height to width ratio
> > (i.e. when the width is x the height should be y) for images to be so
> > that when they are printed in 6x4 they are not cropped?
> > The original image from the camera is 2816x2112 pixels.
> >

> > Many Thanks
> >
> > Andrew
> >

> The shape of your file is different from the shape of the paper. So
> cropping is inevitable.

It's not inevitable. The printer could offer the option of full image
print leaving a border (at the sides in this case) to be trimmed.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

David Azose

Justin C wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> David Azose <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Petaman wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I recently ordered some 6x4 prints from Jessops' in-store digital photo
>>> maker. When I received the prints I noticed that they had all been
>>> cropped in such a way that some of the image was missing from the top
>>> and bottom.
>>> Therefore can you please advise me as to the best height to width ratio
>>> (i.e. when the width is x the height should be y) for images to be so
>>> that when they are printed in 6x4 they are not cropped?
>>> The original image from the camera is 2816x2112 pixels.
>>>

>>> Many Thanks
>>>
>>> Andrew
>>>

>> The shape of your file is different from the shape of the paper. So
>> cropping is inevitable.

> It's not inevitable. The printer could offer the option of full image
> print leaving a border (at the sides in this case) to be trimmed.

Good point. I should have added "...if you want to fill the paper or
have equal borders."