Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Exam Cram Series?

Exam Cram Series?

Leigh Kendall

What are the groups general opinions on the worth of the Exam Cram series
from the standpoint of them being used strictly as review before an exam
along with the test objectives outline? Especially when compared to the MS
Press kits?

I've never used them [Exam Cram] before. I read Wrox, MS Press and other
quality third party books, and then review with the MS Press Training Kits,
but lately, (I'm now upgrading to MSCD for .NET) I'm really wondering what
the heck I'm even using the kits for. They really don't seem to contain any
sufficient level of detail. They cover the objectives, but that's about it.

Are others successfully using the Exam Crams as a good review tool and have
you been happy with them? I've passed the 70-300 and 70-305 exams thus far
and read both MS Press kit titles for review, but really didn't get much if
anything at all out of them. I'm thinking of replacing them with the Exam
Cram book. Any thoughts or tips much welcomed!

TIA,

--
Leigh Kendall, MCSD, MCDBA

Eric Engler

Exam Cram is too easy. The real tests are more challenging.

Glenn D. Crosse

The exam cram books just cover the objectives but they are very well
written.
The Wrox books are very very good for details on all facets of the books
topic.
I always read the MS Training Kit books in addition to other books in
preparing for an exam.
Tim's notes give pointers to in depth material on the exam objectives as
well.
Glenn
MCSE MCDBA MCSD.NET

"Leigh Kendall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What are the groups general opinions on the worth of the Exam Cram series
> from the standpoint of them being used strictly as review before an exam
> along with the test objectives outline? Especially when compared to the MS
> Press kits?
>
> I've never used them [Exam Cram] before. I read Wrox, MS Press and other
> quality third party books, and then review with the MS Press Training

Kits,
> but lately, (I'm now upgrading to MSCD for .NET) I'm really wondering what
> the heck I'm even using the kits for. They really don't seem to contain

any
> sufficient level of detail. They cover the objectives, but that's about

it.

> Are others successfully using the Exam Crams as a good review tool and

have
> you been happy with them? I've passed the 70-300 and 70-305 exams thus far
> and read both MS Press kit titles for review, but really didn't get much

if
> anything at all out of them. I'm thinking of replacing them with the Exam
> Cram book. Any thoughts or tips much welcomed!
>
> TIA,
>
> --
> Leigh Kendall, MCSD, MCDBA

Leigh Kendall

After reading good third party books like Wrox, Apress, MS Press (advanced
level), O'Reilly etc, I don't find that the MS Training Kits add much value
outside of being exam outline. And even then, there is material in there
that's not always covered on the exam and if it is, all the details aren't
always covered.

The exam crams seem to be much more focused (have only skimmed them). I'm
thinking of using them for review of the objectives before the exams (after
reading Wrox etc...), not learning the subject.

Have they worked well for you in that capacity?

Thanks...

Leigh

"Glenn D. Crosse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The exam cram books just cover the objectives but they are very well
> written.
> The Wrox books are very very good for details on all facets of the books
> topic.
> I always read the MS Training Kit books in addition to other books in
> preparing for an exam.
> Tim's notes give pointers to in depth material on the exam objectives as
> well.
> Glenn
> MCSE MCDBA MCSD.NET
>
> "Leigh Kendall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > What are the groups general opinions on the worth of the Exam Cram

series
> > from the standpoint of them being used strictly as review before an exam
> > along with the test objectives outline? Especially when compared to the

MS
> > Press kits?
> >
> > I've never used them [Exam Cram] before. I read Wrox, MS Press and other
> > quality third party books, and then review with the MS Press Training

> Kits,
> > but lately, (I'm now upgrading to MSCD for .NET) I'm really wondering

what
> > the heck I'm even using the kits for. They really don't seem to contain

> any
> > sufficient level of detail. They cover the objectives, but that's about

> it.
> >
> > Are others successfully using the Exam Crams as a good review tool and

> have
> > you been happy with them? I've passed the 70-300 and 70-305 exams thus

far
> > and read both MS Press kit titles for review, but really didn't get much

> if
> > anything at all out of them. I'm thinking of replacing them with the

Exam
> > Cram book. Any thoughts or tips much welcomed!
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > --
> > Leigh Kendall, MCSD, MCDBA

Glenn D. Crosse

The Exam Cram books are very good prep.
Exam Cram worked well for me on the MCSE. I also like the Osborne series
and used them for several MCSD exams.
There were no Exam Cram books published when I did the MCSD but I probably
would have bought them if there were.
I did read the Exam Cram for the 70-300 and it was a well written book.
I read a MS Training kit book for every test I have taken and felt they were
ok but very difficult to read (very boring).
Tim's notes are great for the 70-315 and 70-316 tests. The notes were
sketchy for the 70-300 but very much worthwhile reading as it gets you into
the depths of some deep topics that are brushed upon on the 70-300. The
extra depth is valuable as surface knowledge will be useless later on. I
think one really needs to be very proficient in modeling to be a software
architect. 70-300 is not deep enough on the modeling aspect.
Glenn

> [...]

> what
> > > the heck I'm even using the kits for. They really don't seem to

contain
> > any
> > > sufficient level of detail. They cover the objectives, but that's

about
> > it.
> > >
> > > Are others successfully using the Exam Crams as a good review tool and

> > have
> > > you been happy with them? I've passed the 70-300 and 70-305 exams thus

> far
> > > and read both MS Press kit titles for review, but really didn't get

much
> > if
> > > anything at all out of them. I'm thinking of replacing them with the

> Exam
> > > Cram book. Any thoughts or tips much welcomed!

Leigh Kendall

Thanks for the response... When you refer to "Tim", are you referring to
the codeclinic site?

> [...]

> > Have they worked well for you in that capacity?
> >
> > Thanks...
> >
> > Leigh
> >
> > "Glenn D. Crosse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > The exam cram books just cover the objectives but they are very well
> > > written.
> > > The Wrox books are very very good for details on all facets of the

books
> > > topic.
> > > I always read the MS Training Kit books in addition to other books in
> > > preparing for an exam.
> > > Tim's notes give pointers to in depth material on the exam objectives

as
> > > well.
> > > Glenn
> > > MCSE MCDBA MCSD.NET
> > >
> > > "Leigh Kendall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Glenn D. Crosse

Yes.
I consider the codeclinic very valuable. MSDN is the best source of info
and codeclinic gives you the pointers to the info for the test topics.
Glenn
news:O1F%(E-Mail Removed)...