Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Will IR Illuminator work with any CCD Camera?

Will IR Illuminator work with any CCD Camera?

wdoe999@yahoo.com

I want to setup some night surveillance cameras. I notice that some
CCD night cameras have the IR LEDS right on the camera. Do these
cameras have anything special about them that makes them work well with
IR illumination (do they have circuitry to switch to B/W etc). The
reason I ask is that I would prefer to use standard CCD cameras and a
separate IR illuminator, and am wondering if they will work together
properly. Thanks.

Skywise

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1167535711.108842.63610
@n51g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> I want to setup some night surveillance cameras. I notice that some
> CCD night cameras have the IR LEDS right on the camera. Do these
> cameras have anything special about them that makes them work well with
> IR illumination (do they have circuitry to switch to B/W etc). The
> reason I ask is that I would prefer to use standard CCD cameras and a
> separate IR illuminator, and am wondering if they will work together
> properly. Thanks.

You need to make sure the cameras do not have an IR cutoff filter.
Being color, they most likely do. But check to be sure. If they
don't have one, then they will work. If they do have the filter,
you will need a LOT more IR to make it work.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Robert L Bass

Unless you have a real need for obscurity, there's a much simpler (and usually less expensive) approach to covert CCTV. Speco makes
a standard motion detector light with two flood lamps that come on for a couple of minutes any time someone walks by after dark.
Most people are so accustomed to seeing these lights that they don't give them a second thought.

What the subject won't know is that there's a camera mounted inside the motion detector. One advantage of this approach is that
you'll get a much better, more detailed image with white (well, close to white) light than with IR. Another advantage is that when
most people trigger those lights the first thing they do is look up directly at them. This will give you an excellent chance at
recording the person's face.

I might be a little biased in favor of Speco since I sell it online. However, I've used their cameras with good results on several
of my own installations.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

=============================>
Bass Home Electronics
941-866-1100
4883 Fallcrest Circle
Sarasota Florida 34233
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com
=============================>

> You need to make sure the cameras do not have an IR cutoff filter.
> Being color, they most likely do. But check to be sure. If they
> don't have one, then they will work. If they do have the filter,
> you will need a LOT more IR to make it work.
>
> Brian

ray

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 19:28:31 -0800, wdoe999 wrote:

> I want to setup some night surveillance cameras. I notice that some
> CCD night cameras have the IR LEDS right on the camera. Do these
> cameras have anything special about them that makes them work well with
> IR illumination (do they have circuitry to switch to B/W etc). The
> reason I ask is that I would prefer to use standard CCD cameras and a
> separate IR illuminator, and am wondering if they will work together
> properly. Thanks.

Simplest way to find out if a particular camera is IR sensitve: look at
the lcd or evf while someone holds a TV remote and punches a few buttons
for you - see if you can see the signal.

wdoe999@yahoo.com

Thanks for the answers, that was quick. Looks like a had better not
assume the camera will work with the illuminator, and had better check
it.

Just to elaborate...I'm trying to keep a sleek look on the house with
no wall mounted lamps etc. I don't even want a small IR dome camera
sitting under the soffit. I'd like to use bullit cameras and just have
the tip sticking through a small hole in the soffit. Otherwise I'd use
wall mounted motion lamps, or purpose-built IR daynight dome cameras
mounted under the soffit.

Robert L Bass

> I'd like to use bullit cameras and just have
> the tip sticking through a small hole in the
> soffit...

You may find it difficult to aim the camera preciselt where you want it unless the hole is over sized. The other issue will be the
illuminator. Anything powerful enough to give good video from more than a few feet away will require a fiarly large IR array. One
of our vendors, Extreme CCTV, has a very informative website. They make a wide assortment of cameras and IR illuminators. Their
hardware is about as good as it gets in this industry. Prices are not cheap. Here's their URL. I think you'll find it an
interesting browse. There are sections of the site dedicated to IR illuminators, cameras and combination camera/illuminators.
Being mostly a commercial / industrial CCTV maker, many of their products will your aesthetic requirements. If the range is
satisfactory, you might want to consider their WZ series day/night cameras.

http://www.extremecctv.com/products....10&whichpage=1

I mentioned Speco in an earlier post. In addition to "covert" cameras, they make a number of bullet style cameras. One which you
might find interesting is the HT-INTB2. This is an "intensifier" type of camera, designed for extremely low light operation. URL
follows:

http://www.specotech.com/cart/produc...asp?prodID=881

These are just a couple of examples. There are lots to look at. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

=============================>
Bass Home Electronics
941-866-1100
4883 Fallcrest Circle
Sarasota Florida 34233
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com
=============================>

Otherwise I'd use
> wall mounted motion lamps, or purpose-built IR daynight dome cameras
> mounted under the soffit.

Shuckey

What hath ray wrought:

> Simplest way to find out if a particular camera is IR sensitve: look at
> the lcd or evf while someone holds a TV remote and punches a few buttons
> for you - see if you can see the signal.

How is the remote's infrared light changed (modulated?) into visible light?

[FuT sci.electronics.basics]

Hrvoje Bratanic AKA Shuckey AKA Crtowat AKA No-Fun

--
Casting his shadow, weaving his spell
Funny clothes, tinkling bell.

Helpful person

ray wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 19:28:31 -0800, wdoe999 wrote:
>
> Simplest way to find out if a particular camera is IR sensitve: look at
> the lcd or evf while someone holds a TV remote and punches a few buttons
> for you - see if you can see the signal.

This is not a good test. The IR from a remote control is very bright.
It can be seen by cameras with an IR filter installed.

Just check with the camera manufacturer that there us no IR filter
present.

Please visit my web site at www.richardfisher.com

Tom Matigan

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 19:28:31 -0800, wdoe999 wrote:

> I want to setup some night surveillance cameras. I notice that some CCD
> night cameras have the IR LEDS right on the camera. Do these cameras
> have anything special about them that makes them work well with IR
> illumination (do they have circuitry to switch to B/W etc). The reason
> I ask is that I would prefer to use standard CCD cameras and a separate
> IR illuminator, and am wondering if they will work together properly.
> Thanks.

B+W surveillance cameras generally see very well with infrared. I use
Sony SSC M383's and am pretty impressed with their IR performance.

The one thing you will find is that many people who sell IR illuminators
tend to flat-out lie about their performance (think used car salesmen).
For example, they will tell you that illuminator X has a range of 50 feet.
When you plug it in, you find the useable range is less than 15 feet.

Before buying, get *written* performance info so that you are on the same
page as the salesman. If they say the range is 50 feet, force them to
tell you exactly what the exact performance is at that range.

My best performer is a forced air-cooled 500 watt flood with an opaque IR
filter.

Robert L Bass

> The one thing you will find is that many
> people who sell IR illuminators tend to
> flat-out lie about their performance
> (think used car salesmen).

One source of confusion is that the camera manufacturers' literature often cites as range the maximum distance for "usable video."
The problem with this is usable video equates to "you can see something happening out there." If your only purpose is to know that
something is happening but you don't care what it is or whjo is doing it, that would be ok.

> My best performer is a forced air-cooled
> 500 watt flood with an opaque IR filter.

Sunlight also works well. :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass