Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > External light mrter required.

External light mrter required.

ASAAR

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 14:44:30 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

> We live & learn.
> I am new to photography.
> Thanks

You're welcome.

Neil Ellwood

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 12:29:40 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

> "irwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 10:37:56 +1100, "Peter
>> Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I want to get my mother's old Contax IIIa
>>>camera working again because of its fast
>>>f1.5
>>>lens.
>>>
>>>But the light meter is completely broken
>>>and
>>>I can't get it fixed.
>>>
>>>Can anyone advise me where to get some sort
>>>of small light meter to use instead.
>>>Nothing
>>>too fancy.
>>>
>>>Regards, Peter.
>>>

>> If you have a digital camera maybe using
>> the readout,
>> say in the 'P' or 'M' mode,
>> can give you a ballpark figure to transfer
>> to the Contax.

> Sadly the digital camera (an OlympusE500)
> will not indicate f-stops lower than the lens
> attached to it at the time, which in my case
> is either f-3.8, or f-4.0.
>
> I can't seem to find a really low f-stop lens
> for this camera, in the Zuiko range anyway.

Extrapolate - ie if the smallest fstop on your digi. is F11 and you want
to use f22 then slow your shutter speed down to a quarter of the indicated
value - it is really easy.

--
Neil
Reverse 'ra' and delete 'l'.

tomm42

On Dec 30 2006, 6:37 pm, "Peter Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I want to get my mother's old Contax IIIa
> camera working again because of its fast f1.5
> lens.
>
> But the light meter is completely broken and
> I can't get it fixed.
>
> Can anyone advise me where to get some sort
> of small light meter to use instead. Nothing
> too fancy.
>
> Regards, Peter.

Try to find a Gossen Pilot II light meter. Small, simple, ultra
portable. it's one problem is that it measures reflected light only.
Used one the last time I traveled with my Leicas, it was very accurate.
If you fell you need incident light readings get the Sekonic previously
noted.
I useds a Contax IIIa when I was in college, nice camera, but prone to
shutter jams, has a real complex titanium blind shutter. Remember this
camera is 50 years old.

Tom

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

tomm42 wrote:

> Try to find a Gossen Pilot II light meter. Small, simple, ultra
> portable.

Nonsense! The only meter you will ever need in your lifetime is the world
famous Pentax SpotmeterV.

Rita

J. Clarke

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 07:07:09 -0800, tomm42 wrote:

> On Dec 30 2006, 6:37 pm, "Peter Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I want to get my mother's old Contax IIIa
>> camera working again because of its fast f1.5
>> lens.
>>
>> But the light meter is completely broken and
>> I can't get it fixed.
>>
>> Can anyone advise me where to get some sort
>> of small light meter to use instead. Nothing
>> too fancy.
>>
>> Regards, Peter.

> Try to find a Gossen Pilot II light meter. Small, simple, ultra
> portable. it's one problem is that it measures reflected light only.
> Used one the last time I traveled with my Leicas, it was very accurate.
> If you fell you need incident light readings get the Sekonic previously
> noted.
> I useds a Contax IIIa when I was in college, nice camera, but prone to
> shutter jams, has a real complex titanium blind shutter. Remember this
> camera is 50 years old.

Any reason not to get a Lunapro SBC if he can find one? Mine is
designed primarily to do incident but it does reflected with a built-in
dome and with an attachment does spot as well.

Watch out for the older non SBC lunapro--the first time I dropped that one
once it died instantly, the SBC model (with which I replaced it) uses a
different circuit design that allows a much less fragile movement and
greater sensitivity besides--it's been working fine for 20 years--if
you're not careful with the switch position though it's a battery-eater.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Stefan Patric

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 10:23:29 -0500, Rita Berkowitz wrote:

> tomm42 wrote:
>
>> Try to find a Gossen Pilot II light meter. Small, simple, ultra
>> portable.

> Nonsense! The only meter you will ever need in your lifetime is the world
> famous Pentax SpotmeterV.

I hope you were being facetious; otherwise, your statement is that of
one who is either naive or deluded.

A spot meter is a highly specialized tool, not suitable as a general use,
"first" meter for anyone, especially one who has little or no knowledge of
metering techniques. The OP IS better off following the recommendation
and finding a used Pilot II, and probably would have no need of another
except as a replacement, if the original one failed.

Stef

babalooixnay@hotmail.com

Peter Jason wrote:
> I want to get my mother's old Contax IIIa
> camera working again because of its fast f1.5
> lens.
>
> But the light meter is completely broken and
> I can't get it fixed.
>
> Can anyone advise me where to get some sort
> of small light meter to use instead. Nothing
> too fancy.

Check out any older small camera store that's been in business for a
while. When the meter on my favorite F died some years ago I found a
Gossen LunaPro with all the accessories and cases for under forty
bucks. I still use it today.

Peter Jason

"tomm42" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> On Dec 30 2006, 6:37 pm, "Peter Jason"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I want to get my mother's old Contax IIIa
>> camera working again because of its fast
>> f1.5
>> lens.
>>
>> But the light meter is completely broken
>> and
>> I can't get it fixed.
>>
>> Can anyone advise me where to get some
>> sort
>> of small light meter to use instead.
>> Nothing
>> too fancy.
>>
>> Regards, Peter.

> Try to find a Gossen Pilot II light meter.
> Small, simple, ultra
> portable. it's one problem is that it
> measures reflected light only.
> Used one the last time I traveled with my
> Leicas, it was very accurate.
> If you fell you need incident light
> readings get the Sekonic previously
> noted.
> I useds a Contax IIIa when I was in
> college, nice camera, but prone to
> shutter jams, has a real complex titanium
> blind shutter. Remember this
> camera is 50 years old.
>
> Tom

Yes, mother bought it in the 1950s for family
slides and we found it in a drawer after she
died. It was only used for about 3 years
before 1960. It is in pristine condition,
except for the light meter.

Justin C

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rita Berkowitz <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote:

> tomm42 wrote:
>
> > Try to find a Gossen Pilot II light meter. Small, simple, ultra
> > portable.

> Nonsense! The only meter you will ever need in your lifetime is the world
> famous Pentax SpotmeterV.

I don't know why it hasn't been mentioned already but I used to have
(don't know where it is now so I'm in the market for another one now) a
Weston Master. These are small and don't need batteries, the
photo-electric cell takes care of that.

I also own a Gossen Lunasix 3F which, compared to the Weston, is huge.
And it takes a PP9 battery. Great though it is, when I want to travel
light, it's too damn big and bulky.

--
Justin C, by the sea.

Paul Bartram

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Check out any older small camera store that's been in business for a
> while. When the meter on my favorite F died some years ago I found a
> Gossen LunaPro with all the accessories and cases for under forty
> bucks. I still use it today.

I saw a Wesson (Weston?) Master V in a store window recently for $40. I had
one of those in 1970, but the sensor died.

Paul