Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How often to Nixon update their models - Nikon Coolpix 8800

How often to Nixon update their models - Nikon Coolpix 8800

I am in the market for a SLR-like camera and I am particularly impressed
with the Nikon Coolpix 8800. According to dpreview.com this camera was
announced on 16-Sep-04 which suggests to me that it may be due an update.
Does anyone know how often Nikon update their cameras?
Thanks.

David J Taylor

M wrote:
> I am in the market for a SLR-like camera and I am particularly
> impressed with the Nikon Coolpix 8800. According to dpreview.com
> this camera was announced on 16-Sep-04 which suggests to me that it
> may be due an update. Does anyone know how often Nikon update their
> cameras? Thanks.

I think that Nikon realised that these cameras were so good that they were
eating into their much more profitable DSLR market, and they have quietly
dropped the higher-end non-SLR cameras. Look to makers like Panasonic,
now, who are providing excellent kit, with similar specifications, at a
fraction of Nikon's price. Even Kodak are offering both a 24mm eq. camera
and an image-stabilised long zoom model.

David