Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I'm returning my Nikon 70-300VR

I'm returning my Nikon 70-300VR

M-M

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What Nikon DSLR has mirror lockup? Do you mean you used the self timer?

Not really lockup. There is an "Exp delay mode" which delays the shutter
0.4 sec after mirror flips.

--
m-m

M-M

In article <22543$4596804f$42f86850$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Fletis Humplebacker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If the mirror made that big a difference I wonder about
> your tripod setup and release method. I hang my gear
> on the tripod and use a shutter release. I don't know why
> a particular lens would be more sensitive at at given
> focal length.

It's not the tripod or the technique. Other lenses do not do it at the
same focal length. I have the feeling the mirror shakes the lens
elements in addition to the camera body and no tripod can help that.

--
m-m

John McWilliams

M-M wrote:
> In article <22543$4596804f$42f86850$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Fletis Humplebacker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> If the mirror made that big a difference I wonder about
>> your tripod setup and release method. I hang my gear
>> on the tripod and use a shutter release. I don't know why
>> a particular lens would be more sensitive at at given
>> focal length.

> It's not the tripod or the technique. Other lenses do not do it at the
> same focal length. I have the feeling the mirror shakes the lens
> elements in addition to the camera body and no tripod can help that.

Does the VR being on in this test situation mitigate the mirror slap?

--
John McWilliams

David Ruether

"Joan" <(E-Mail Removed)2> wrote in message news:45965845$0$2639$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is a pain in the butt, because I was thinking of buying one.
>
> --
> Joan
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly

As I have tried to point out repeatedly over the years, samples of
lenses do vary somewhat, and defective samples are not unknown.
Before giving up on this lens, exchange it for the same lens. BTW,
see my http://www.ferrario.com/ruether/slemn.html for more on this.
--
David Ruether
(E-Mail Removed)

acl

Paul Rubin wrote:
> M-M <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > It turns out much of the problem was mirror shake, which for some reason
> > this lens is more sensitive to. When I locked the mirror, the image was fine.

> What Nikon DSLR has mirror lockup? Do you mean you used the self timer?

The D200 certainly does (it also has a 0.4s delay if you prefer it, eg
if you don't have a remote release handy), and I think so do the D2H
and D2X [assuming you consider smaller than full-frame cameras worthy
of the name "DSLR" ]