Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak EasyShare C743 Camera Video Problem

Kodak EasyShare C743 Camera Video Problem

Jim Thomas

I have a C743 camera with a problem. Here is the email I sent to Kodak
(after they told me to buy QuickTime Pro to edit the video on my
computer):

"Thanks for your reply. However, I didn't intend to ask how I could
edit the video once it was on my computer. The problem is that video
clips taken in my house, at reduced light levels, look great on the
camera LCD but don't download with the same brightness. There is no way
I can tell that the light level is too low until I download to my
computer. Since my old camera, a DX6340, took and downloaded great
movies at the same light levels, it would seem that there is either
something wrong with the C743 firmware or with the camera itself. And
I can't increase the exposure on the camera, since exposure
compensation does not work for videos.

"If there is nothing I can do about this (except quit buying Kodak
cameras), at least this should be noted by your experts as a deficiency
in the design."

Have any of you had (or know of) a similar problem?

TIA,

Jim Thomas

John Turco

Jim Thomas wrote:

> I have a C743 camera with a problem. Here is the email I sent to Kodak
> (after they told me to buy QuickTime Pro to edit the video on my
> computer):
>
> "Thanks for your reply. However, I didn't intend to ask how I could
> edit the video once it was on my computer. The problem is that video
> clips taken in my house, at reduced light levels, look great on the
> camera LCD but don't download with the same brightness. There is no way
> I can tell that the light level is too low until I download to my
> computer. Since my old camera, a DX6340, took and downloaded great
> movies at the same light levels, it would seem that there is either
> something wrong with the C743 firmware or with the camera itself. And
> I can't increase the exposure on the camera, since exposure
> compensation does not work for videos.
>
> "If there is nothing I can do about this (except quit buying Kodak
> cameras), at least this should be noted by your experts as a deficiency
> in the design."
>
> Have any of you had (or know of) a similar problem?
>
> TIA,
>
> Jim Thomas

Hello, Jim:

No, none of my video-capable Kodak digicams do that. Are you sure your
particular unit isn't defective, perhaps?

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Ron Hunter

John Turco wrote:
> Jim Thomas wrote:
>> I have a C743 camera with a problem. Here is the email I sent to Kodak
>> (after they told me to buy QuickTime Pro to edit the video on my
>> computer):
>>
>> "Thanks for your reply. However, I didn't intend to ask how I could
>> edit the video once it was on my computer. The problem is that video
>> clips taken in my house, at reduced light levels, look great on the
>> camera LCD but don't download with the same brightness. There is no way
>> I can tell that the light level is too low until I download to my
>> computer. Since my old camera, a DX6340, took and downloaded great
>> movies at the same light levels, it would seem that there is either
>> something wrong with the C743 firmware or with the camera itself. And
>> I can't increase the exposure on the camera, since exposure
>> compensation does not work for videos.
>>
>> "If there is nothing I can do about this (except quit buying Kodak
>> cameras), at least this should be noted by your experts as a deficiency
>> in the design."
>>
>> Have any of you had (or know of) a similar problem?
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Jim Thomas

> Hello, Jim:
>
> No, none of my video-capable Kodak digicams do that. Are you sure your
> particular unit isn't defective, perhaps?
>

> Cordially,
> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

I bought a C743 for my wife, and the videos I have done look the same on
my computer as on the camera. I would check the monitor settings, and
the settings on your Quicktime player.

Jim Thomas

On Dec 31 2006, 10:52 am, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> John Turco wrote:
> > Jim Thomas wrote:
> >> I have a C743 camera with a problem. Here is the email I sent to Kodak
> >> (after they told me to buy QuickTime Pro to edit the video on my
> >> computer):

> >> "Thanks for your reply. However, I didn't intend to ask how I could
> >> edit the video once it was on my computer. The problem is that video
> >> clips taken in my house, at reduced light levels, look great on the
> >> camera LCD but don't download with the same brightness. There is no way
> >> I can tell that the light level is too low until I download to my
> >> computer. Since my old camera, a DX6340, took and downloaded great
> >> movies at the same light levels, it would seem that there is either
> >> something wrong with the C743 firmware or with the camera itself. And
> >> I can't increase the exposure on the camera, since exposure
> >> compensation does not work for videos.

> >> "If there is nothing I can do about this (except quit buying Kodak
> >> cameras), at least this should be noted by your experts as a deficiency
> >> in the design."

> >> Have any of you had (or know of) a similar problem?

> >> TIA,

> >> Jim Thomas

> > Hello, Jim:

> > No, none of my video-capable Kodak digicams do that. Are you sure your
> > particular unit isn't defective, perhaps?

> > Cordially,
> > John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>I bought a C743 for my wife, and the videos I have done look the same on

> my computer as on the camera. I would check the monitor settings, and
> the settings on your Quicktime player.

John & Ron:

Thanks for your suggestions. None of them have helped. I'm thinking now
that the difference between what I see on the camera LCD and the
computer download may be a function of the particular light conditions
of the problem video clip. I took some clips in somewhat greater light,
and they turned out fine. I think that the greatest problem is that, in
the video mode, there is no warning of low light conditions (as there
is in still picture modes). To me, that's a design deficiency, since
you can't go by what you see on the LCD.

Jim Thomas