Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Competitive European (German) digital cameras

Competitive European (German) digital cameras

aniramca@yahoo.com

My first SLR camera was an East German Praktica. I noticed that they
are still producing cameras, and has digital SLR products in the
market. My question is why the German cameras do not compete in the
camera market in North America? Are they just simply too expensive,
inferior technology, poor promotion, or they are just giving up in
competition with the Japanese in North America? For the European
market, are there more choices of German cameras there? I am sure that
they can make cheaper cameras by building the factory in China, etc.
Why don't they come into the North American market?

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,

> My first SLR camera was an East German Praktica. I noticed that they
> are still producing cameras, and has digital SLR products in the
> market. My question is why the German cameras do not compete in the
> camera market in North America? Are they just simply too expensive,
> inferior technology, poor promotion, or they are just giving up in
> competition with the Japanese in North America? For the European
> market, are there more choices of German cameras there? I am sure that
> they can make cheaper cameras by building the factory in China, etc.
> Why don't they come into the North American market?

They are virtually all made in China or other Asian countries and are
all available under different names with just some minor (if any) trim
differences. Since they would have to go from the factory in Asia to a
distributor/manufacturer in Germany to a distributor in the USA to a
retailer in the USA they would no longer be cost competitive as everyone
along the chain makes money.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Cgiorgio

East Germany built Praktica and Exakta cameras, there aren't any consumer
camera makers left in Germany, but a few companies make highly professional
equipment. The Praktica digicams are just marketed under that old name. They
are all made in the far east, mostly China. Some are obviously rebranded OEM
models, some seem to have an exclusive housing made for Praktica. Jenoptik
was the other East German company making consumer cameras and that branch
has been sold to Concord Camera a few years ago. Rollei also put their old
name on far East OEM cameras, just as Minox and Braun. Some high end Leica
models (at least the optics) seem still to be partially made in Germany, but
they are well above Canon professional cameras pricewise. Leica cameras in
the consumer range are probably made in the same factories as corresponding
Panasonic models but may get extra quality assurance.

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...