Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How do I use EXIF/IPTC as a database.

How do I use EXIF/IPTC as a database.

Peter Jason

I can add details to a photo using these, but
I need to know the best way to do it so that
these details can be used as a database.

What database software can access the entered
EXIF/IPTC data?

Please help, Peter

mrh1@gmx.net

Peter Jason schrieb:

> I can add details to a photo using these, but
> I need to know the best way to do it so that
> these details can be used as a database.
>
> What database software can access the entered
> EXIF/IPTC data?

Mapivi (http://mapivi.de.vu) is able to scan your JPEG pictures and
store all EXIF and IPTC information in its database. You can use this
information to search your pictures or to browse them by IPTC keywords
(using tag clouds) or (EXIF date) timeline.

Here is a screenshot of the search window:
http://mapivi.sourceforge.net/screenshots.shtml#search

I manage 25000 pictures with Mapivi and the search is pretty fast and
very powerful.
Mapivi is free and runs on any OS.
The database is implemented as a Perl hash and can be accessed by any
Perl script.

Regards
Martin

Paul Allen

On 29 Dec 2006 08:46:48 -0800

> Peter Jason schrieb:
>
> > [... about using EXIF/IPTC tags as a database ...]

> I manage 25000 pictures with Mapivi and the search is pretty fast and
> very powerful.
> Mapivi is free and runs on any OS.
> The database is implemented as a Perl hash and can be accessed by any
> Perl script.
>
> Regards
> Martin

A perl hash? Interesting. How big is your database on disk? How fast
is "pretty fast"?

My perl/Tk image management contraption stores metadata as XML. I've
currently got a bit over 11,000 images in the database and it occupies
2.5MB on disk. A query involving tags over the whole database takes
about a second. I'm always interested in better ways to do things,
although a fundamental design change like this might be a bit much.
My code totals about 8200 lines of perl, and I can successfully change
perhaps 100 lines in a weekend.

Paul Allen

Paul Allen

Shawn Hirn

In article <en275q$2ckv$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Peter Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I can add details to a photo using these, but
> I need to know the best way to do it so that
> these details can be used as a database.
>
> What database software can access the entered
> EXIF/IPTC data?
>
> Please help, Peter

I believe Extensus Portfolio 8 can do that, but its not cheap. See
http://www.extensus.com for details.

Peter Jason

"Peter Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message
news:en275q$2ckv$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can add details to a photo using these,
>but I need to know the best way to do it so
>that these details can be used as a
>database.
>
> What database software can access the
> entered EXIF/IPTC data?
>
> Please help, Peter

Thanks for the replies; I'll check them out.

mrh1@gmx.net

Paul Allen schrieb:

> On 29 Dec 2006 08:46:48 -0800
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> > Peter Jason schrieb:
> >
> > > [... about using EXIF/IPTC tags as a database ...]

> > I manage 25000 pictures with Mapivi and the search is pretty fast and
> > very powerful.
> > Mapivi is free and runs on any OS.
> > The database is implemented as a Perl hash and can be accessed by any
> > Perl script.
> >
> > Regards
> > Martin

> A perl hash? Interesting. How big is your database on disk? How fast
> is "pretty fast"?
>
> My perl/Tk image management contraption stores metadata as XML. I've
> currently got a bit over 11,000 images in the database and it occupies
> 2.5MB on disk. A query involving tags over the whole database takes
> about a second. I'm always interested in better ways to do things,
> although a fundamental design change like this might be a bit much.
> My code totals about 8200 lines of perl, and I can successfully change
> perhaps 100 lines in a weekend.

I have over 25,000 pictures in my database and it is 9MB on disk. I use
hierarchical IPTC keywords (e.g. nature.animal.mammal.dog) which use a
bit more space and the database also stores file data, EXIF data and
JPEG comments.
A complete search takes about 3 to 4 seconds, depending on how and what
you search (AND, OR, EXCLUDE, ... search) and how many matches are
found.
But during the search the first matching picture thumbnails are
displayed in about a second.

Another nice feature is browsing the pictures by tag cloud (build from
IPTC keywords). This search is faster (less than one second for each
step).

My code totals to about 27500 lines of Perl, don't ask me how long it
took ...

Regards
Martin

PS.: I guess for more Perl programming details we should move to PM.