Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Shot from 1930's cartoon

Shot from 1930's cartoon

Just Another Digital Fan

Screen still from an old black and white Bimbo (Betty Boop) cartoon.

I kid yee not. I have not messed about with it at all.

http://members.aol.com/smellyfartybum/bandit.jpg

clough

On 27 Dec 2006 11:46:01 -0800, "Just Another Digital Fan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Screen still from an old black and white Bimbo (Betty Boop) cartoon.

>I kid yee not. I have not messed about with it at all.

>http://members.aol.com/smellyfartybum/bandit.jpg

In the USA in the 1920's and 30's the word 'Bum' meant 'down and out'.

Clough

Pat P

"clough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 27 Dec 2006 11:46:01 -0800, "Just Another Digital Fan"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Screen still from an old black and white Bimbo (Betty Boop) cartoon.

>>I kid yee not. I have not messed about with it at all.

>>http://members.aol.com/smellyfartybum/bandit.jpg

> In the USA in the 1920's and 30's the word 'Bum' meant 'down and out'.
>
> Clough

It still does, as I am sure everyone knows.

Pat

J. Clarke

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:26:26 +0000, Pat P wrote:

> "clough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 27 Dec 2006 11:46:01 -0800, "Just Another Digital Fan"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Screen still from an old black and white Bimbo (Betty Boop) cartoon.

>>>I kid yee not. I have not messed about with it at all.

>>>http://members.aol.com/smellyfartybum/bandit.jpg

>> In the USA in the 1920's and 30's the word 'Bum' meant 'down and out'.
>>
>> Clough

> It still does, as I am sure everyone knows.

I think you might be surprised. I haven't heard a bum referred to as a
"bum" in a long time.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Alex Heney

On 28 Dec 2006 18:00:26 GMT, "J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:26:26 +0000, Pat P wrote:
>
>> "clough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> In the USA in the 1920's and 30's the word 'Bum' meant 'down and out'.
>>>
>>> Clough

>> It still does, as I am sure everyone knows.

>I think you might be surprised. I haven't heard a bum referred to as a
>"bum" in a long time.

The term "ski bum" is still in common usage for people who spend an
entire season in a ski resort, staying in the cheapest accommodation
that can be found (sometimes the back of a van!), and doing odd jobs
to make ends meet.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
I'm easy to please as long as I get my way.

Aaron B

"Alex Heney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 28 Dec 2006 18:00:26 GMT, "J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:26:26 +0000, Pat P wrote:
>>
>>> "clough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> It still does, as I am sure everyone knows.

>>I think you might be surprised. I haven't heard a bum referred to as a
>>"bum" in a long time.

> The term "ski bum" is still in common usage for people who spend an
> entire season in a ski resort, staying in the cheapest accommodation
> that can be found (sometimes the back of a van!), and doing odd jobs
> to make ends meet.

A bit like a beach bum, I suppose. Similar thing but, well, on beaches and
not ski slopes!!

Frank ess

Alex Heney wrote:
> On 28 Dec 2006 18:00:26 GMT, "J. Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:26:26 +0000, Pat P wrote:
>>
>>> "clough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> It still does, as I am sure everyone knows.

>> I think you might be surprised. I haven't heard a bum referred to
>> as a "bum" in a long time.

> The term "ski bum" is still in common usage for people who spend an
> entire season in a ski resort, staying in the cheapest accommodation
> that can be found (sometimes the back of a van!), and doing odd jobs
> to make ends meet.

O' course over here we got "surf bums", a latterly semi-affectionate
term for folks who love to ride the ocean waves and do not invest much
in much of anything else.

My (English heritage) grandmother's strongest epithet was "bum", in
the not-a-productive-citizen sense, and she called your situpon a
"bum" in the Britspeak buttocks sense.

I thought I knew "bum" was someone of no means and little motivation
to acquire them by labor; "hobo" was a down-and-outer who moved from
place to place in search of short-term gainful employment, and who
wasn't always thrilled when he found it, all other things being equal.

"Bum" is also a verb: one "bums" a cigarette, a dime for a cup of
coffee, a ride to the Mission.

--
Frank ess
"Verbing weirds language".

Just Another Residents Fan

Frank ess wrote:

> "Bum" is also a verb: one "bums" a cigarette, a dime for a cup of
> coffee, a ride to the Mission.

Thank you for clearing that up. I'd always thought that Bum Bandit was
Homo' talk....

AlanG

On 28 Dec 2006 14:59:08 -0800, "Just Another Residents Fan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Frank ess wrote:
>
>> "Bum" is also a verb: one "bums" a cigarette, a dime for a cup of
>> coffee, a ride to the Mission.

>Thank you for clearing that up. I'd always thought that Bum Bandit was
>Homo' talk....

To keep on topic I actually have a Betty Boop 1930s silent cartoon.
Unfortunately my son broke the 9.5mm projector about 30 years ago so
it has never played since. Got about another 20 reels of various kinds
including felix popeye and hopalong cassidy. Newest is space dog. A
short purporting to be a record of the flight of the first animal in
space the dog Laika.

If anyone knows of a place that sells spares for a 9.5mm projector
I'd like to know

acl

AlanG wrote:

> To keep on topic I actually have a Betty Boop 1930s silent cartoon.
> Unfortunately my son broke the 9.5mm projector about 30 years ago so
> it has never played since. Got about another 20 reels of various kinds
> including felix popeye and hopalong cassidy. Newest is space dog. A
> short purporting to be a record of the flight of the first animal in
> space the dog Laika.
>
> If anyone knows of a place that sells spares for a 9.5mm projector
> I'd like to know

Well, if he broke it 30 years ago, he should be old enough to be able
to fix for you now. Or, if he has chosen to be a bum, he can bum one
from a co-bum of his and lend it to you....

Sorry.