Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Possible to make remote shutter release for Canon 400D?

Possible to make remote shutter release for Canon 400D?

Justin

Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew much about the remote release port
on the Canon 400D/Rebel. It looks like a standard headphone jack, from
what I can tell. The question is, can I easily make my own remote
release by wiring up an old headphone lead and a 2-stage button, or
does it rely on encoded signals, like an IR remote? If the former, then
it seems like a good way to save some money.

Thanks, Justin.

Cgiorgio

It is actually a stereo headphone plug using the following pinout:

tip: shutter release / intermediate ring: Autofocus / housing-outer ring:
ground

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew much about the remote release port
> on the Canon 400D/Rebel. It looks like a standard headphone jack, from
> what I can tell. The question is, can I easily make my own remote
> release by wiring up an old headphone lead and a 2-stage button, or
> does it rely on encoded signals, like an IR remote? If the former, then
> it seems like a good way to save some money.
>
> Thanks, Justin.

=?iso-8859-1?q?Kjell_H=F6gstr=F6m?=

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 06:39:00 -0800, Justin wrote:

> Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew much about the remote release port on
> the Canon 400D/Rebel. It looks like a standard headphone jack, from what I
> can tell. The question is, can I easily make my own remote release by
> wiring up an old headphone lead and a 2-stage button, or does it rely on
> encoded signals, like an IR remote? If the former, then it seems like a
> good way to save some money.
>
> Thanks, Justin.

I think the RS-60E3 remote is supported for 400D also, if so
this page should answer your question:

http://www.camerahacker.com/RS60-E3_.../pin-out.shtml

/Kjell

Justin

Cgiorgio wrote:
> It is actually a stereo headphone plug using the following pinout:
>
> tip: shutter release / intermediate ring: Autofocus / housing-outer ring:
> ground
>

> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew much about the remote release port
> > on the Canon 400D/Rebel. It looks like a standard headphone jack, from
> > what I can tell. The question is, can I easily make my own remote
> > release by wiring up an old headphone lead and a 2-stage button, or
> > does it rely on encoded signals, like an IR remote? If the former, then
> > it seems like a good way to save some money.
> >
> > Thanks, Justin.

Sweet. Thanks guys!

Ken Lucke

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Kjell Högström
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 06:39:00 -0800, Justin wrote:
>
> > Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew much about the remote release port on
> > the Canon 400D/Rebel. It looks like a standard headphone jack, from what I
> > can tell. The question is, can I easily make my own remote release by
> > wiring up an old headphone lead and a 2-stage button, or does it rely on
> > encoded signals, like an IR remote? If the former, then it seems like a
> > good way to save some money.
> >
> > Thanks, Justin.

> I think the RS-60E3 remote is supported for 400D also, if so
> this page should answer your question:
>
> http://www.camerahacker.com/RS60-E3_.../pin-out.shtml

It is.

independence.