Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best Image Quality Camera

Best Image Quality Camera

phillip.wilson1@tesco.net

Best image quality camera for $600 or 300.

I would like a G7 but have heard about the noise problem.
I want good colour and good quality sharp images.

Will this camera be good enough. I'm not always going to be printing
off poster pronts, but would like to sometimes. Would the quality still
be good?

Thanks

Charles Schuler

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
Best image quality camera for $600 or 300.

No such thing; sorry.

I would like a G7 but have heard about the noise problem.
I want good colour and good quality sharp images.

Will this camera be good enough.

Only you know for sure.

The thing about cameras is that some are strong in some areas and weak in
others. It is not a trivial process to select the "best" camera because
"best" is a personal thing. Before you get too nervous about this, please
be assured that the recent crop is uniformly darned good stuff. Look at
Canon, Nikon and the other industry leaders and, if possible, go handle them
before you buy.

ray

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:27:05 -0800, phillip.wilson1 wrote:

> Best image quality camera for $600 or £300.
>
> I would like a G7 but have heard about the noise problem.
> I want good colour and good quality sharp images.
>
> Will this camera be good enough. I'm not always going to be printing
> off poster pronts, but would like to sometimes. Would the quality still
> be good?
>
> Thanks

I don't think there is any 'best'. There are quite a number of good
cameras in that price range. To some extent, image quality will depend on
your post processing of raw files if you're absolutely looking for the
best possible image quality.

Daniel Silevitch

On 26 Dec 2006 13:27:05 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Best image quality camera for $600 or 300.
>
> I would like a G7 but have heard about the noise problem.
> I want good colour and good quality sharp images.

$600 will buy you a Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D, either of which would be
a big jump up from the G7.

-dms

David J Taylor

Daniel Silevitch wrote:
> On 26 Dec 2006 13:27:05 -0800, (E-Mail Removed)
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Best image quality camera for $600 or 300.
>>
>> I would like a G7 but have heard about the noise problem.
>> I want good colour and good quality sharp images.

> $600 will buy you a Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D, either of which would
> be
> a big jump up from the G7.
>
> -dms

"Would be" or "should be"? Can't the Canon G7 (or any top-end non-SLR
camera) take good quality pictures given the right lighting conditions?
Yes, a DSLR will work in a wider range of conditions, but something like
the G7 or its equivalent from other manufacturers should be capable of
good quality at best....

David

Daniel Silevitch

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:27:14 GMT, David J Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
> Daniel Silevitch wrote:
>> On 26 Dec 2006 13:27:05 -0800, (E-Mail Removed)
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Best image quality camera for $600 or 300.
>>>
>>> I would like a G7 but have heard about the noise problem.
>>> I want good colour and good quality sharp images.

>> $600 will buy you a Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D, either of which would
>> be
>> a big jump up from the G7.
>>
>> -dms

> "Would be" or "should be"? Can't the Canon G7 (or any top-end non-SLR
> camera) take good quality pictures given the right lighting conditions?
> Yes, a DSLR will work in a wider range of conditions, but something like
> the G7 or its equivalent from other manufacturers should be capable of
> good quality at best....

How about "has the potential to be"? The big-sensor SLR has more
flexibility in terms of light levels, and also has a real upgrade path.
On the flip side, the G7 or whatever is a signficantly smaller body and
probably has a better lens than the low-end kit lens on a cheap SLR.

-dms

David J Taylor

Daniel Silevitch wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:27:14 GMT, David J Taylor
> <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
>> Daniel Silevitch wrote:

>>> $600 will buy you a Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D, either of which would
>>> be
>>> a big jump up from the G7.
>>>
>>> -dms

>> "Would be" or "should be"? Can't the Canon G7 (or any top-end
>> non-SLR camera) take good quality pictures given the right lighting
>> conditions? Yes, a DSLR will work in a wider range of conditions,
>> but something like the G7 or its equivalent from other manufacturers
>> should be capable of good quality at best....

> How about "has the potential to be"? The big-sensor SLR has more
> flexibility in terms of light levels, and also has a real upgrade
> path.
> On the flip side, the G7 or whatever is a signficantly smaller body
> and
> probably has a better lens than the low-end kit lens on a cheap SLR.
>
> -dms

Agreed!

Although I wouldnt like to compare the two lenses as I don't have direct
experience.

David

Ron Hunter

David J Taylor wrote:
> Daniel Silevitch wrote:
>> On 26 Dec 2006 13:27:05 -0800, (E-Mail Removed)
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Best image quality camera for $600 or 300.
>>>
>>> I would like a G7 but have heard about the noise problem.
>>> I want good colour and good quality sharp images.

>> $600 will buy you a Nikon D40 or Pentax K100D, either of which would
>> be
>> a big jump up from the G7.
>>
>> -dms

> "Would be" or "should be"? Can't the Canon G7 (or any top-end non-SLR
> camera) take good quality pictures given the right lighting conditions?
> Yes, a DSLR will work in a wider range of conditions, but something like
> the G7 or its equivalent from other manufacturers should be capable of
> good quality at best....
>
> David

Yes, good pictures can be taken with P&S cameras. In the hands of a
good photographer with the knowledge, and experience, to use all the
manual functions, and the time to use them, a DSLR will produce better
pictures. In the hands of a rank amateur, who doesn't know ISO from
ICE, the P&S will probably make better pictures, and make them faster.

The level of expertise of the photographer is important. No need to buy
the best tools for the weekend carpenter.