Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Philips 7" Digital Picture Frame

Philips 7" Digital Picture Frame

Glenn

I just bought this, and am having trouble. I loaded my photos onto a 1 GB
SD memory card, and set the frame to show a slideshow. Everything works
fine for anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, and then the frame just goes blank.
Sometimes there is intermittent flashes on the screen, but mostly it is just
blanked. Power is still on, and screen lamp is lit, it is just blanked. I
have tried resetting, updating firmware, new SD cards, etc. Anyone else
have similar trouble and a solution? Thanks.

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com

Glenn wrote:
> I just bought this, and am having trouble. I loaded my photos onto a 1 GB
> SD memory card, and set the frame to show a slideshow. Everything works
> fine for anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, and then the frame just goes blank.
> Sometimes there is intermittent flashes on the screen, but mostly it is just
> blanked. Power is still on, and screen lamp is lit, it is just blanked. I
> have tried resetting, updating firmware, new SD cards, etc. Anyone else
> have similar trouble and a solution? Thanks.

Have you checked what is on the card and ensured there are no
incompatible files, eg avi, mpg, mov, raw, etc..? Are you running it
in a random order mode - if so, what happens when you run it in
sequence - does it always stop at the same time (file)?

Glenn

They are all .jpg files, and whether random or sequential--the stopping
point seems to vary. Usually within 10 minutes, but once it ran over an
hour. I disables the "auto off / auto on" feature thinking it was a clock
malfunction--but no luck.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Glenn wrote:
>> I just bought this, and am having trouble. I loaded my photos onto a 1
>> GB
>> SD memory card, and set the frame to show a slideshow. Everything works
>> fine for anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, and then the frame just goes
>> blank.
>> Sometimes there is intermittent flashes on the screen, but mostly it is
>> just
>> blanked. Power is still on, and screen lamp is lit, it is just blanked.
>> have tried resetting, updating firmware, new SD cards, etc. Anyone else
>> have similar trouble and a solution? Thanks.

> Have you checked what is on the card and ensured there are no
> incompatible files, eg avi, mpg, mov, raw, etc..? Are you running it
> in a random order mode - if so, what happens when you run it in
> sequence - does it always stop at the same time (file)?

Glenn

I may have stumbled onto the solution: I renamed all the photos, with
simply a number less than 8 digits. Maybe the processor in the frame cannot
handle long file names? It has been working for nearly an hour now, with no
problems. I have reenabled the timer functions, and set the slideshow to
random. So far, so good. No one at the support center had any suggestions
other than RMA for an exchange. I bought two of these, and since they both
displayed this problem, I knew it was not a defective item--but rather
something on this end that could be solved. I hope this was the answer.
"Glenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9pfkh.19917$(E-Mail Removed)...
> They are all .jpg files, and whether random or sequential--the stopping
> point seems to vary. Usually within 10 minutes, but once it ran over an
> hour. I disables the "auto off / auto on" feature thinking it was a clock
> malfunction--but no luck.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Glenn wrote:
>>> I just bought this, and am having trouble. I loaded my photos onto a 1
>>> GB
>>> SD memory card, and set the frame to show a slideshow. Everything works
>>> fine for anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, and then the frame just goes
>>> blank.
>>> Sometimes there is intermittent flashes on the screen, but mostly it is
>>> just
>>> blanked. Power is still on, and screen lamp is lit, it is just blanked.
>>> have tried resetting, updating firmware, new SD cards, etc. Anyone else
>>> have similar trouble and a solution? Thanks.

>> Have you checked what is on the card and ensured there are no
>> incompatible files, eg avi, mpg, mov, raw, etc..? Are you running it
>> in a random order mode - if so, what happens when you run it in
>> sequence - does it always stop at the same time (file)?

Glenn

False... It did run for 4 hours that time, but once again it went blank and
froze up. Has anyone else had a similar problem with one of these frames?

"Glenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rqgkh.18875$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I may have stumbled onto the solution: I renamed all the photos, with
>simply a number less than 8 digits. Maybe the processor in the frame
>cannot handle long file names? It has been working for nearly an hour now,
>with no problems. I have reenabled the timer functions, and set the
>slideshow to random. So far, so good. No one at the support center had
>any suggestions other than RMA for an exchange. I bought two of these, and
>since they both displayed this problem, I knew it was not a defective
>item--but rather something on this end that could be solved. I hope this
>was the answer.
> "Glenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9pfkh.19917$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> They are all .jpg files, and whether random or sequential--the stopping
>> point seems to vary. Usually within 10 minutes, but once it ran over an
>> hour. I disables the "auto off / auto on" feature thinking it was a
>> clock malfunction--but no luck.
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>>
>>> Have you checked what is on the card and ensured there are no
>>> incompatible files, eg avi, mpg, mov, raw, etc..? Are you running it
>>> in a random order mode - if so, what happens when you run it in
>>> sequence - does it always stop at the same time (file)?

Ron Hunter

Glenn wrote:
> I just bought this, and am having trouble. I loaded my photos onto a 1 GB
> SD memory card, and set the frame to show a slideshow. Everything works
> fine for anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, and then the frame just goes blank.
> Sometimes there is intermittent flashes on the screen, but mostly it is just
> blanked. Power is still on, and screen lamp is lit, it is just blanked. I
> have tried resetting, updating firmware, new SD cards, etc. Anyone else
> have similar trouble and a solution? Thanks.

Nope. I have a similar frame, and while I think the guy who programmed
it was on drugs, it does work, once one gets past the menus, and resets
all the parameters EACH time it is turned on! And WHO takes pictures in
16:9 aspect ratio??

Ron Hunter

Glenn wrote:
> I may have stumbled onto the solution: I renamed all the photos, with
> simply a number less than 8 digits. Maybe the processor in the frame cannot
> handle long file names? It has been working for nearly an hour now, with no
> problems. I have reenabled the timer functions, and set the slideshow to
> random. So far, so good. No one at the support center had any suggestions
> other than RMA for an exchange. I bought two of these, and since they both
> displayed this problem, I knew it was not a defective item--but rather
> something on this end that could be solved. I hope this was the answer.
> "Glenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

If that turns out to fix the problem do call customer service and clue
them in. It might save some people a lot of grief.

Ron Hunter

Glenn wrote:
> False... It did run for 4 hours that time, but once again it went blank and
> froze up. Has anyone else had a similar problem with one of these frames?

Nope, mine, not a Phillips, has been running about 10 hours straight,
and 24 hours before latest set of pictures were added. Now if it would
just remember settings when turned off....