Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Has Canon fixed e18 error? Any point in getting a canon?

Has Canon fixed e18 error? Any point in getting a canon?

albert.mills@googlemail.com

Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
camera that will stop working all of a sudden.

I'd like a well reviewed camera that will last. I'd like to get a new
model of course, since better stuff is always comming out so fast, but
am afraid there will be some undiscovered defect in a new model similar
to the e18 defect, and I will get screwed.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Harry Flaxman

> Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
> about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
> quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
> camera that will stop working all of a sudden.
>
> I'd like a well reviewed camera that will last. I'd like to get a new
> model of course, since better stuff is always comming out so fast, but
> am afraid there will be some undiscovered defect in a new model similar
> to the e18 defect, and I will get screwed.
>

> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

Well, if you're a hobbyist then I would recommend the Canon Rebel
series. There newest is the Rebel XTi. If I had the money. I'd go for it.

I've had the Rebel XT and it's great. Has all the niceties that a
regular slr has.....except it's digital. I share pix all over the
internet and with friends and families and mailing lists....No problem.
Now, they're priced under 700 and reasonable. I paid 1000 for mine
when they first came out but worth every penny of it. The only thing I
wouldn't recommend is Canon lenses. I have a 55-200 and it doesn't have
IS or VR built into it and neither does the camera. You need a tripod
for some shots, and if you're on vacation, the last thing you want to
caarry is a monopod or tripod with you. Just a microdisk, or several
high speed cf cards. Those cf cards have come way down too. I am going
to pick a couple of 2gb ones at Walgreens. They're 14.95 apiece and
faster than the microdrive by all means. I mean you can't take burst
with the microdrive. You can, but you have to wait between the 4 or 5
shots that you take in burst mode. Not to mention the time it takes to
xfer pix to the notebook. On vacation, it's easy to take a notebook
with you, but if you're going on a cruise....you're going away to get
away from the computer racket. I mean I would. I've been on two
cruises over the years and no notebook, just the camera and microdrive.

Harry

Rich

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
> about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
> quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
> camera that will stop working all of a sudden.
>
> I'd like a well reviewed camera that will last. I'd like to get a new
> model of course, since better stuff is always comming out so fast, but
> am afraid there will be some undiscovered defect in a new model similar
> to the e18 defect, and I will get screwed.
>

> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

There's still error 99.

Ron Hunter

Harry Flaxman wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
>> about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
>> quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
>> camera that will stop working all of a sudden.
>>
>> I'd like a well reviewed camera that will last. I'd like to get a new
>> model of course, since better stuff is always comming out so fast, but
>> am afraid there will be some undiscovered defect in a new model similar
>> to the e18 defect, and I will get screwed.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Well, if you're a hobbyist then I would recommend the Canon Rebel
> series. There newest is the Rebel XTi. If I had the money. I'd go for
> it.
>
> I've had the Rebel XT and it's great. Has all the niceties that a
> regular slr has.....except it's digital. I share pix all over the
> internet and with friends and families and mailing lists....No problem.
> Now, they're priced under 700 and reasonable. I paid 1000 for mine
> when they first came out but worth every penny of it. The only thing I
> wouldn't recommend is Canon lenses. I have a 55-200 and it doesn't have
> IS or VR built into it and neither does the camera. You need a tripod
> for some shots, and if you're on vacation, the last thing you want to
> caarry is a monopod or tripod with you. Just a microdisk, or several
> high speed cf cards. Those cf cards have come way down too. I am going
> to pick a couple of 2gb ones at Walgreens. They're 14.95 apiece and
> faster than the microdrive by all means. I mean you can't take burst
> with the microdrive. You can, but you have to wait between the 4 or 5
> shots that you take in burst mode. Not to mention the time it takes to
> xfer pix to the notebook. On vacation, it's easy to take a notebook
> with you, but if you're going on a cruise....you're going away to get
> away from the computer racket. I mean I would. I've been on two
> cruises over the years and no notebook, just the camera and microdrive.
>
> Harry

I take my laptop when I go on a cruise. Aside from not wanting to be
away from my 'information resource', it makes a good place to dump the
pictures from my camera to. I am really not concerned about transfer
time as I usually sleep each night. Grin.
Oh, did my third cruise in October (7 days). Would have been in
terminal (pun intended) withdrawal without the laptop!

Mark B.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
>> about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
>> quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
>> camera that will stop working all of a sudden.
>>
>> I'd like a well reviewed camera that will last. I'd like to get a new
>> model of course, since better stuff is always comming out so fast, but
>> am afraid there will be some undiscovered defect in a new model similar
>> to the e18 defect, and I will get screwed.
>>

>> Suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks.

> There's still error 99.

I have an S2 IS, my wife has an SD450 and she previously used an A70. None
of them have ever had any errors.

Mark

shepshep1@excite.com

Ron Hunter wrote:
> Harry Flaxman wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
>>> about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
>>> quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
>>> camera that will stop working all of a sudden.
>>>
>>> I'd like a well reviewed camera that will last. I'd like to get a new
>>> model of course, since better stuff is always comming out so fast, but
>>> am afraid there will be some undiscovered defect in a new model similar
>>> to the e18 defect, and I will get screwed.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Well, if you're a hobbyist then I would recommend the Canon Rebel
>> series. There newest is the Rebel XTi. If I had the money. I'd go
>> for it.
>>
>> I've had the Rebel XT and it's great. Has all the niceties that a
>> regular slr has.....except it's digital. I share pix all over the
>> internet and with friends and families and mailing lists....No
>> problem. Now, they're priced under 700 and reasonable. I paid 1000
>> for mine when they first came out but worth every penny of it. The
>> only thing I wouldn't recommend is Canon lenses. I have a 55-200 and
>> it doesn't have IS or VR built into it and neither does the camera.
>> You need a tripod for some shots, and if you're on vacation, the last
>> thing you want to caarry is a monopod or tripod with you. Just a
>> microdisk, or several high speed cf cards. Those cf cards have come
>> way down too. I am going to pick a couple of 2gb ones at Walgreens.
>> They're 14.95 apiece and faster than the microdrive by all means. I
>> mean you can't take burst with the microdrive. You can, but you have
>> to wait between the 4 or 5 shots that you take in burst mode. Not to
>> mention the time it takes to xfer pix to the notebook. On vacation,
>> it's easy to take a notebook with you, but if you're going on a
>> cruise....you're going away to get away from the computer racket. I
>> mean I would. I've been on two cruises over the years and no
>> notebook, just the camera and microdrive.
>>
>> Harry

> I take my laptop when I go on a cruise. Aside from not wanting to be
> away from my 'information resource', it makes a good place to dump the
> pictures from my camera to. I am really not concerned about transfer
> time as I usually sleep each night. Grin.
> Oh, did my third cruise in October (7 days). Would have been in
> terminal (pun intended) withdrawal without the laptop!

I use one of those epson photo viewers to store my pics on when I'm away
from my pc, the transfer rate isn't fantastic but it is convenient.

Jim Townsend

Ron Hunter wrote:

> I take my laptop when I go on a cruise. Aside from not wanting to be
> away from my 'information resource', it makes a good place to dump the
> pictures from my camera to.

I wound up with a laptop to store photos too. They cost a bit more
than those portable hard drives, but they're *SO* versatile.

Not only can you store images, but you can watch movies or listen
to MP3s, and even play solitaire or other games to pass the time on
long plane or bus trips.

Almost all laptops come with burners now, so you can even back up your
photos as you travel.

Jim Townsend

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
> about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
> quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
> camera that will stop working all of a sudden.

My Daughter has had one for a while. She's never had any problems.
It's a great little camera. (I tried it out just last night at
the family Christmas dinner . The big LCD screen is pretty
impressive.

I'd buy one.

dwight

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
> about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
> quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
> camera that will stop working all of a sudden.
>
> I'd like a well reviewed camera that will last. I'd like to get a new
> model of course, since better stuff is always comming out so fast, but
> am afraid there will be some undiscovered defect in a new model similar
> to the e18 defect, and I will get screwed.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

I guess I'm a gambler. Not ALL SD630s will eventually get this error, and
I'm betting that the one I just bought for my wife won't. Of course, if she
drops it or throws it against the wall, all bets are off.

My son and daughter both received ELPH Canons from their old man, and I went
with the SD630 for my wife because of the huge 3" screen on the back. She
used it last night at a Christmas gathering for the first time, and really
enjoyed it.

Now, if the camera does suddenly go e18 on us, I'm out a couple of hundred
bucks. But, like I said, I'm a gambler, and that's true every time I buy
something - from cameras to cars.

dwight

Bill Funk

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 03:27:14 -0600, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Harry Flaxman wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Hi, I was thinking of getting a canon sd630, but i've been reading
>>> about this e18 error, where the camera stops working and they charge
>>> quite a bit to fix it. The sd630 got good reviews, but I don't want a
>>> camera that will stop working all of a sudden.
>>>
>>> I'd like a well reviewed camera that will last. I'd like to get a new
>>> model of course, since better stuff is always comming out so fast, but
>>> am afraid there will be some undiscovered defect in a new model similar
>>> to the e18 defect, and I will get screwed.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Well, if you're a hobbyist then I would recommend the Canon Rebel
>> series. There newest is the Rebel XTi. If I had the money. I'd go for
>> it.
>>
>> I've had the Rebel XT and it's great. Has all the niceties that a
>> regular slr has.....except it's digital. I share pix all over the
>> internet and with friends and families and mailing lists....No problem.
>> Now, they're priced under 700 and reasonable. I paid 1000 for mine
>> when they first came out but worth every penny of it. The only thing I
>> wouldn't recommend is Canon lenses. I have a 55-200 and it doesn't have
>> IS or VR built into it and neither does the camera. You need a tripod
>> for some shots, and if you're on vacation, the last thing you want to
>> caarry is a monopod or tripod with you. Just a microdisk, or several
>> high speed cf cards. Those cf cards have come way down too. I am going
>> to pick a couple of 2gb ones at Walgreens. They're 14.95 apiece and
>> faster than the microdrive by all means. I mean you can't take burst
>> with the microdrive. You can, but you have to wait between the 4 or 5
>> shots that you take in burst mode. Not to mention the time it takes to
>> xfer pix to the notebook. On vacation, it's easy to take a notebook
>> with you, but if you're going on a cruise....you're going away to get
>> away from the computer racket. I mean I would. I've been on two
>> cruises over the years and no notebook, just the camera and microdrive.
>>
>> Harry

>I take my laptop when I go on a cruise. Aside from not wanting to be
>away from my 'information resource', it makes a good place to dump the
>pictures from my camera to. I am really not concerned about transfer
>time as I usually sleep each night. Grin.
>Oh, did my third cruise in October (7 days). Would have been in
>terminal (pun intended) withdrawal without the laptop!

I have a laptop for our vacations (as well as other uses), too.
I find it invaluable for more than just storing photos; my wife uses
it for her solitaire addiction, I use it for keeping up on mail and
other online tasks, and it makes for good slideshows of the day's
photos by all involved.
We're doing our third cruise this coming summer, to Alaska.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"