Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > adobe dng query

adobe dng query

ray

Is there any way to create a dng file other than using PS? I've looked and
can't find any. I be particularly interested in a Linux solution. Is it
the case that Adobe is keeping this a proprietary format?

Ken Weitzel

ray wrote:
> Is there any way to create a dng file other than using PS? I've looked and
> can't find any. I be particularly interested in a Linux solution. Is it
> the case that Adobe is keeping this a proprietary format?

Hi Ray...

dng? or is that a mis-typed png ?

Take care.

Ken

ray

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 04:40:34 +0000, Ken Weitzel wrote:

> ray wrote:
>> Is there any way to create a dng file other than using PS? I've looked and
>> can't find any. I be particularly interested in a Linux solution. Is it
>> the case that Adobe is keeping this a proprietary format?

> Hi Ray...
>
> dng? or is that a mis-typed png ?
>

> Take care.
>
> Ken

dng - that's the Adobe Digital NeGative format.

Ken Weitzel

ray wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 04:40:34 +0000, Ken Weitzel wrote:
>
>> ray wrote:
>>> Is there any way to create a dng file other than using PS? I've looked and
>>> can't find any. I be particularly interested in a Linux solution. Is it
>>> the case that Adobe is keeping this a proprietary format?

>> Hi Ray...
>>
>> dng? or is that a mis-typed png ?
>>

>> Take care.
>>
>> Ken

> dng - that's the Adobe Digital NeGative format.

Hi Ray...

Arghhh, sorry about that. I have to learn to think before I start
typing.... one of the disadvantages of getting old, I guess.

Adobe has a couple of (free) converters on their site, for Windows
and Mac. Unfortunately so far nothing for 'nix.

Take care.

Ken

John Bean

On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 20:50:30 -0700, ray <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Is there any way to create a dng file other than using PS? I've looked and
>can't find any. I be particularly interested in a Linux solution.

Maybe the PC version of the free Adobe DNG converter will
run under WINE, got to be worth a try.

>Is it
>the case that Adobe is keeping this a proprietary format?

If that were so they wouldn't have bothered to fully
document it and even provide free SDKs for the platforms
they support. Adobe support only Mac and Windows so if the
Linux community wants a SDK converter it's up to someone to
write one - all the information is already in the public
domain.
--
John Bean

Bill Hilton

> ray wrote:
>
> Is there any way to create a dng file other than using PS?

A couple of camera makers with little market share are making DNG their
default output file format. More RAW converter programs are *reading*
DNG now but so far as taking a RAW file and converting it to DNG I
think Adobe is still the best (only?) bet.

> I be particularly interested in a Linux solution. Is it
> the case that Adobe is keeping this a proprietary format?

It's not a proprietary format so someone could make a Unix converter.
But demand for a DNG - UNIX/LINUX solution is probably so small that
few would deem it worth the effort.

ray

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 10:26:37 +0000, John Bean wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 20:50:30 -0700, ray <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Is there any way to create a dng file other than using PS? I've looked and
>>can't find any. I be particularly interested in a Linux solution.

> Maybe the PC version of the free Adobe DNG converter will
> run under WINE, got to be worth a try.
>
>>Is it
>>the case that Adobe is keeping this a proprietary format?

> If that were so they wouldn't have bothered to fully
> document it and even provide free SDKs for the platforms
> they support. Adobe support only Mac and Windows so if the
> Linux community wants a SDK converter it's up to someone to
> write one - all the information is already in the public
> domain.

Thanks for the info. I have only recently started digging into this, and I
was not aware of those resources.

Little Juice Coupe

No. DNG is not proprietary. Any one can use it. As to why Adobe hasn't made
DNG for Linux the answer is simple why bother. The vast majority of Adobe's
user base either uses Windows or to a much lesser extent a Mac. I seriously
doubt the geeks that use Linux even hardly registers on their radar and
certainly not enough to spend the money to convert.

ljc

"ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any way to create a dng file other than using PS? I've looked and
> can't find any. I be particularly interested in a Linux solution. Is it
> the case that Adobe is keeping this a proprietary format?

Dave

Ken Weitzel wrote:
> ray wrote:

>>> Hi Ray...
>>>

> Adobe has a couple of (free) converters on their site, for Windows
> and Mac. Unfortunately so far nothing for 'nix.
>
> Take care.
>
> Ken

I just tried the Adobe DNG Converter in Wine on Ubuntu 6.1 and it worked
fine.(.cr2 files from my 400D) Now the question,what can you do with
..dng files in Linux??

Dave

John Bean

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 16:44:21 -0500, Dave
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I just tried the Adobe DNG Converter in Wine on Ubuntu 6.1 and it worked
>fine.(.cr2 files from my 400D) Now the question,what can you do with
>.dng files in Linux??

Whatever you do with any other raw file

The main advantage is size and standard metadata and
workflows compared with the proprietary originals,
especially if you use several different camera brands like I
do. Dcraw (and anything that uses it) can of course handle
DNG, as can handy utilities like Exiftool.

--
John Bean