Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Picture Tagging & Archiving

Picture Tagging & Archiving

hufaunder@yahoo.com

I have quite a lot of images that I would like to tag and archive. For
that I have the following requirements:

1) The tags have to be embedded into the files, i.e. not just into a
database.
2) The tags have to confirm to some widely accepted standard
(IPTC/XMP/etc) that makes it easy to import into different programs.
3) The program must allow defining certain tags and then adding these
tags to images easily (for example dragging tags onto an image adds
them to the image)
4) Batch tagging must be easy to do, i.e. assigning the same tag to
many pictures at once.
5) The images and the tags should be stored in a database for quick
searches for certain tags, dates/times, etc.
6) The program must be able to scan/rescan directories of images, look
for tags and adding all of it to its database.

It also would be very helpful if psd files could be tagged and
archived. This is not an absolute requirement, though. Finally, I am
looking for a program that can be had for less then $200.

Thanks

Ken Lucke

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
<"(E-Mail Removed)"> wrote:

> I have quite a lot of images that I would like to tag and archive. For
> that I have the following requirements:
>
> 1) The tags have to be embedded into the files, i.e. not just into a
> database.

Apple Aperture or Adobe Lightroom. However, this will only occur with
non-raw files, otherwise the data gets put into sidecar files... I
don't know of any standard programs that will write directly to the raw
files (nnor do I want to - I don't _want_ to touch my raws unless
forced into that extremity by a corrupted tag that I feel I must fix.
Then I use ExifTool. ExifTool (*nix, command line driven, does have
some GUI front ends for some OS's) will. Non-raw files (.tif, .jpg,
..psd, etc.) are not a problem with most standard image management
programs.

> 2) The tags have to confirm to some widely accepted standard
> (IPTC/XMP/etc) that makes it easy to import into different programs.

Apple Aperture or Adobe Lightroom. Both do IPTC, EXIF, and other
metadata. Both use sidecar files. Aperture can also export with the
XMP file, without the XMP file, or the XMP file alone.

> 3) The program must allow defining certain tags and then adding these
> tags to images easily (for example dragging tags onto an image adds
> them to the image)

Apple Aperture or Adobe Lightroom. Aperture allows "Lift & Stamp"
(copy/paste) of metadata from one image to one or more images, presets
of tags to be applied to one or or more images, and batch
replacement/appending of metadata to one ormore images.

> 4) Batch tagging must be easy to do, i.e. assigning the same tag to
> many pictures at once.

Apple Aperture or Adobe Lightroom. See above.

> 5) The images and the tags should be stored in a database for quick
> searches for certain tags, dates/times, etc.

Apple Aperture or Adobe Lightroom.

> 6) The program must be able to scan/rescan directories of images, look
> for tags and adding all of it to its database.

Huh? I couldn't parse that.

> It also would be very helpful if psd files could be tagged and
> archived. This is not an absolute requirement,

Apple Aperture or Adobe Lightroom. Both do .psd. Aperture will export
directly to .psd (and even open it for you) WITH metadata embedded, and
automatically suck back up the saved file FROM .psd, stacking them
together so they are easy to find.

> though. Finally, I am
> looking for a program that can be had for less then $200.
>
> Thanks

Seeing a pattern here? Apple Aperture ($199, 30 day free trial) or
Adobe Lightroom (Free beta currently). Both are designed specifically
for photo management/image adjustment (as opposed to pixel pushing,
which is PS's strongpoint).

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

Joan

Adobe Bridge does it too.

--
Joan

news:231220062155210394%(E-Mail Removed)...
: <"(E-Mail Removed)"> wrote:
:
: > I have quite a lot of images that I would like to tag and archive.
For
: > that I have the following requirements:
: >
: > 1) The tags have to be embedded into the files, i.e. not just into
: > database.
:
[...]
: > many pictures at once.
:
[...]
: --
: You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
: reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about
repeating
: the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for
: independence.
: -- Charles A. Beard

hufaunder@yahoo.com

Maybe I should have mentioned that I am using a Windows machine. At
this point, there is no way I will switch over to a Mac. Thanks for the
input, though. BTW, are you a enthusiast or do you work for Apple?

Ken Lucke wrote:
> [...]

> Apple Aperture or Adobe Lightroom. Both do .psd. Aperture will export
> directly to .psd (and even open it for you) WITH metadata embedded, and
> automatically suck back up the saved file FROM .psd, stacking them
> together so they are easy to find.
>

> > though. Finally, I am
> > looking for a program that can be had for less then $200.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> Seeing a pattern here? Apple Aperture ($199, 30 day free trial) or
> Adobe Lightroom (Free beta currently). Both are designed specifically
> for photo management/image adjustment (as opposed to pixel pushing,
> which is PS's strongpoint).
>
> --
> You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
> reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating
> the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for

hufaunder@yahoo.com

Adobe Bridge only seems to be availabe with Creative Suite and
Production Studio. I am currently using PS7. I know it's outdated but
it does all I need so I do not feel like spending big bucks on an
upgrade.

Thanks

Joan wrote:
> [...]
> :
> : > though. Finally, I am
> : > looking for a program that can be had for less then $200.
> : >
> : > Thanks
> : >
> :
> : Seeing a pattern here? Apple Aperture ($199, 30 day free trial) or
> : Adobe Lightroom (Free beta currently). Both are designed
> specifically
> : for photo management/image adjustment (as opposed to pixel pushing,
> : which is PS's strongpoint).
> :
> : --
> : You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
> : reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about
> repeating
> : the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for

John Bean

On 23 Dec 2006 23:59:19 -0800, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Maybe I should have mentioned that I am using a Windows machine. At
>this point, there is no way I will switch over to a Mac.

I use iView MediaPro which meeta all of your requirements
and then some. Barely fits in your budget but it is under
$200 - just

You could also have a look at IDImager which is not as slick
but just as functional - more functional in fact - but much
cheaper. Both have free time-limited evaluations available
for download with no functional restrictions.

--
John Bean

Ken Lucke

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
<"(E-Mail Removed)"> wrote:

> Maybe I should have mentioned that I am using a Windows machine. At
> this point, there is no way I will switch over to a Mac. Thanks for the
> input, though. BTW, are you a enthusiast or do you work for Apple?

a) if you'd checked, Lightroom is available for both Mac & Windoze.

b) I use (and love) a Mac, and there is no way I will switch over to a
Windoze box :^)

c) I knew you were on Windoze by your headers, but other people often
have the same question, so I pointed out both of the [viable in my
opinion] options so that either side of the fence could have one.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

hufaunder@yahoo.com

Ooops, indeed. I checked Apple Aperture which was only available for
the Mac. For some reason I thought you wrote Apple Lightroom instead of
Adobe Lightroom so I figured it won't work, either. My bad. Thanks for
your input.

Ken Lucke wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
> <"(E-Mail Removed)"> wrote:
>
> > Maybe I should have mentioned that I am using a Windows machine. At
> > this point, there is no way I will switch over to a Mac. Thanks for the
> > input, though. BTW, are you a enthusiast or do you work for Apple?

> a) if you'd checked, Lightroom is available for both Mac & Windoze.
>
> b) I use (and love) a Mac, and there is no way I will switch over to a
> Windoze box :^)
>
> c) I knew you were on Windoze by your headers, but other people often
> have the same question, so I pointed out both of the [viable in my
> opinion] options so that either side of the fence could have one.
>
> --
> You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
> reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating
> the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for
> independence.
> -- Charles A. Beard

hufaunder@yahoo.com

John, thanks for the input. I'll check these programs out.

Has anybody used ThumbsPlus or IMatch? How do they stack up with these
other programs?

Thanks

John Bean wrote:
> On 23 Dec 2006 23:59:19 -0800, "(E-Mail Removed)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Maybe I should have mentioned that I am using a Windows machine. At
> >this point, there is no way I will switch over to a Mac.

> I use iView MediaPro which meeta all of your requirements
> and then some. Barely fits in your budget but it is under
> $200 - just
>
> You could also have a look at IDImager which is not as slick
> but just as functional - more functional in fact - but much
> cheaper. Both have free time-limited evaluations available
> for download with no functional restrictions.
>
> --
> John Bean

Arnor Baldvinsson

Hi

> Has anybody used ThumbsPlus or IMatch? How do they stack up with these
> other programs?

I use IMatch. Have about 20,000 photos in it. I'd say go ahead and
download it and try it out. I've tried out the Lightroom beta, but I did
not particularly like it, but the final product may be just fine.

--
Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas

cisco vlan tagging ants Cisco 2 05-05-2005 01:19 PM
STP and VLAN tagging uofitorn@gmail.com Cisco 2 03-29-2005 09:32 PM
Vlan tagging switches. JP Morgan Cisco 3 10-27-2004 05:54 PM
PASS - Picture Archiving and Sharing Standard Alan Browne Digital Photography 1 09-27-2004 07:39 PM
Kodak buys Algotec - advanced picture-archiving-and-communicationssystems developer Pulver Digital Photography 7 11-26-2003 07:18 PM

Advertisments