Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Picture Tagging & Archiving

Picture Tagging & Archiving

Monkee

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have quite a lot of images that I would like to tag and archive. For
> that I have the following requirements:
>
> 1) The tags have to be embedded into the files, i.e. not just into a
> database.
> 2) The tags have to confirm to some widely accepted standard
> (IPTC/XMP/etc) that makes it easy to import into different programs.
> 3) The program must allow defining certain tags and then adding these
> tags to images easily (for example dragging tags onto an image adds
> them to the image)
> 4) Batch tagging must be easy to do, i.e. assigning the same tag to
> many pictures at once.
> 5) The images and the tags should be stored in a database for quick
> searches for certain tags, dates/times, etc.
> 6) The program must be able to scan/rescan directories of images, look
> for tags and adding all of it to its database.
>
> It also would be very helpful if psd files could be tagged and
> archived. This is not an absolute requirement, though. Finally, I am
> looking for a program that can be had for less then $200.
>
> Thanks

http://www.pixvue.com/

hufaunder@yahoo.com

I have been looking at pixvue. The problem is that tagging seems not
very efficient. For each image you have to right click it and go to the
IPCT menu to add the tags. I have a lot of images to tag so I am
looking for something efficient like tragging tags onto pictures, mass
tagging, etc. If pixvue can do that I would appreciate if somebody
could point out on how to do this.

Monkee wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I have quite a lot of images that I would like to tag and archive. For
> > that I have the following requirements:
> >
> > 1) The tags have to be embedded into the files, i.e. not just into a
> > database.
> > 2) The tags have to confirm to some widely accepted standard
> > (IPTC/XMP/etc) that makes it easy to import into different programs.
> > 3) The program must allow defining certain tags and then adding these
> > tags to images easily (for example dragging tags onto an image adds
> > them to the image)
> > 4) Batch tagging must be easy to do, i.e. assigning the same tag to
> > many pictures at once.
> > 5) The images and the tags should be stored in a database for quick
> > searches for certain tags, dates/times, etc.
> > 6) The program must be able to scan/rescan directories of images, look
> > for tags and adding all of it to its database.
> >
> > It also would be very helpful if psd files could be tagged and
> > archived. This is not an absolute requirement, though. Finally, I am
> > looking for a program that can be had for less then $200.
> >
> > Thanks

> http://www.pixvue.com/

Mike Russell

> On 23 Dec 2006 23:59:19 -0800, "(E-Mail Removed)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Maybe I should have mentioned that I am using a Windows machine. At
>>this point, there is no way I will switch over to a Mac.

ACDSee is a good solid program that keeps track of a large number of images
using keywords, among other things. While it will create an HTML album, the
album is very simple and does not support keywords. The best you could do
would probably be to look up a particular set of images by keyword, and
generate an individual album using the results.
--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

mrh1@gmx.net

> I have quite a lot of images that I would like to tag and archive. For
> that I have the following requirements:
>
> 1) The tags have to be embedded into the files, i.e. not just into a
> database.
> 2) The tags have to confirm to some widely accepted standard
> (IPTC/XMP/etc) that makes it easy to import into different programs.
> 3) The program must allow defining certain tags and then adding these
> tags to images easily (for example dragging tags onto an image adds
> them to the image)
> 4) Batch tagging must be easy to do, i.e. assigning the same tag to
> many pictures at once.
> 5) The images and the tags should be stored in a database for quick
> searches for certain tags, dates/times, etc.
> 6) The program must be able to scan/rescan directories of images, look
> for tags and adding all of it to its database.
>
> It also would be very helpful if psd files could be tagged and
> archived. This is not an absolute requirement, though. Finally, I am
> looking for a program that can be had for less then $200.

Mapivi (http://mapivi.de.vu) fulfils all your requirements 1) to 6) is
free and OS independent.
But the current version supports only JPEGs, no PSD files.

Martin

cisco vlan tagging ants Cisco 2 05-05-2005 01:19 PM
STP and VLAN tagging uofitorn@gmail.com Cisco 2 03-29-2005 09:32 PM
Vlan tagging switches. JP Morgan Cisco 3 10-27-2004 05:54 PM
PASS - Picture Archiving and Sharing Standard Alan Browne Digital Photography 1 09-27-2004 07:39 PM
Kodak buys Algotec - advanced picture-archiving-and-communicationssystems developer Pulver Digital Photography 7 11-26-2003 07:18 PM

Advertisments