Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Question about Mini DV Camcorders

Question about Mini DV Camcorders

PTravel

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Why is it that my old VHS-C Camcorder (which cost about $700 in 2001)
> and still costs about $200 (at Walmart) today records well in low
> light?

It has a larger sensor (probably much larger) than the current crop of
consumer camcorders.

> Its just strange why a older one can do better.
>
> I guess the small size is not always better.

Definitely not in this case.

> John
>

> PTravel wrote:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> >I have a old hunker JVC VHS-C Camcorder. It does the job, however its
>> > bulky, and cannot plug into my computers without a Video Capture
>> > device, which can be hard to find these days.
>> >
>> > I played with some of the newer Mini DV and DVD-RAM (Sony and Panasonic
>> > under $1000) camcorders, and was impressed with the size, however was
>> > not impressed with the writing speed of the DVD-RAM Camcorders, and was
>> > not impressed with the camcorders ability to record in low light
>> > conditions. It seemed to me, that when the light was on, my hand
>> > movement got slow. Why is this? The Salesguy at Fry's said that this is
>> > just a issue with digital camcorders. I told him that my old honker
>> > VHS-C camcorder does not have this problem. Recording with the light on
>> > is fine, and things dono not slow down.
>> >
>> > Maybe one day I might get a new camcorder that will work with my ibook,
>> > and uses Mini DV tapes (as I was not impressed with this DVD-RAM
>> > format). DVD-RAM Camcorders take too long to write to the discs.
>> >
>> > Anyone have any recommendations?
>> >

>> The newer digital cameras in the consumer range has small, densely-packed
>> sensors. This is done to cut down on weight and size, and to facilitate
>> still imaging. However, it has a very detrimental effect on low-light
>> sensitivity. Look for a camcorder with at least 1/4" sensors, and 1/3"
>> sensors are better. To get really good low-light response, you'll have
>> buy a prosumer model, which costs twice your budget.
>>
>> Though video quality is as much a function of lens and electronics
>> quality
>> as it is digital format, all things being equal, a miniDV camcorder will
>> produce noticeably better video than a DVD camcorder.
>>

>> > Thanks,
>> >

>> > John

Ken Maltby

"David Matthew Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>
>> I have a old hunker JVC VHS-C Camcorder. It does the job, however its
>> bulky, and cannot plug into my computers without a Video Capture
>> device, which can be hard to find these days.

> Video capture cards and external analog to DV converters which plug into
> the firewire port are not hard to find at all! In fact, with more and
> more people wanting to preserve their video tape collection, they are
> only becoming more and more available.

There are several ways to go using such a camera. I think I'll have
www.geeks.com send me one for $99.99.
http://www.geeks.com:80/details.asp?...ARENDCLEARmain

I've had pretty good luck with their refurbished items.

Think I'll use it mostly to do some green screen work or
model table work. That assumes it can be set to run
without taping, and output to my capture card(s).

It has some pretty useful features (including manual WB),
for a $100 camera. I might try setting one up as a surveillance
camera, as well. On a powered pan and scan mount and with
its 20x optical zoom, you could have performance that exceeds
many professional surveillance camera setups costing several
thousands of dollars.

Is this model anything like your's? GR-AXM17US

Luck;
Ken

stauffer@usfamily.net

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have a old hunker JVC VHS-C Camcorder. It does the job, however its
> bulky, and cannot plug into my computers without a Video Capture
> device, which can be hard to find these days.
>
> I played with some of the newer Mini DV and DVD-RAM (Sony and Panasonic
> under $1000) camcorders, and was impressed with the size, however was
> not impressed with the writing speed of the DVD-RAM Camcorders, and was
> not impressed with the camcorders ability to record in low light
> conditions. It seemed to me, that when the light was on, my hand
> movement got slow. Why is this? The Salesguy at Fry's said that this is
> just a issue with digital camcorders. I told him that my old honker
> VHS-C camcorder does not have this problem. Recording with the light on
> is fine, and things do not slow down.
>
> Maybe one day I might get a new camcorder that will work with my ibook,
> and uses Mini DV tapes (as I was not impressed with this DVD-RAM
> format). DVD-RAM Camcorders take too long to write to the discs.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations?
>

> Thanks,
>

> John

Depends on the make and model of the MiniDV camera. We have several.
A couple are better than any VHS camcorder we have, others are not. We
have one MiniDV that indeed is not a very good low light level camera,
but has other features we like.

As others have pointed out, CCD size is an issue, as is the aperture
diameter of the lens (bigger is better - in other words, the low f/#).
Generally more expensive cameras have better lenses and larger sensors,
but not always. You need to use a lot of resources to really be a wise
shopper/purchaser. Read all the reviews you can find.